Windows 8 URGENT. Can't access os.

Nolan Roell

I recently tried to install open suse with a dual boot. But it failed and I can no longer access windows. I would like to know if installing an OEM copy of windows 8 will help.

I recently tried to install open suse with a dual boot. But it failed and I can no longer access windows.

If this system had 8 or 8.1 then I’m not surprised… they are not compatible.

I would like to know if installing an OEM copy of windows 8 will help.

Probably not but as you didn’t tell us the system specs it’s impossible to answer.

1. Laptop, tablet or desktop… make | model?
2. Is the oem copy from this system (i.e. useful) or did it fall off the back of a truck?
3. I don’t suppose you made any kind of backup image before this happened… what type of image and what program did you use?
4. Is there any important info still stored on the hdd that you can’t replace i.e. tax returns… images of your first child being born?

I am not a regular Linux user, but I have dabbled from time ti time. I must confess to a little surprise on the comment above. I have not heard of any "incompatibility" problems in any dual boot situation?

See here for one of many examples:

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/492573-windows-8-1-dual-booted-with-opensuse-13-1

Too late for you now, but the basic rule when delving a little deeper into OS mods is, MAKE A COMPLETE IMAGE, before starting.
You may have destroyed the Windows boot partition, during your experiment. It could be worse, if you have a newer computer with UEFI and, possibly, secure boot selected. But as you have an OEM edition, why not try, in the first instance, booting up with it and trying the repair start options.
Where you got the OEM will not effect the result, and is none of my concern.

Back