Windows 7 USB device not recognized

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
I have a few usb ports on this computer - 2 on the front panel r driven via the std usb connector and 2 r driven via the USB3 connector on the MB which provides USB2 & 3.
When I plug a certain device into the std ports I get the device not recognized.
When I plug it into the usb3 ports everything works fine.
W7 was clean reinstalled and problem is still there. Other devices have no issue in either ports.
I assume this tells me that the driver is OK - since it works on other ports.
so why r these ports not able to recognize the device????

thx
bill

What is the device. The USB3 ports provide more power than the USB2 ports. Is it possible that there is not enough power for the device on the USB2 ports.

Great theory, but it isn't a USB 3 device.
HOWEVER, I did not specify that the device is a USB2 device so U would have no way to know that.
Correct! A USB3 ports supply 1A, USB2 ports supply 0.5A.
In order to connect to USB3 power U must have a USB3 device.
If u plug a USB2 device into a USB3 port u connect to the USB2 connector which supplies USB2 power.

Correct. But we still don't know what device it is.

it is an NCP scanner. HWID = USB\VID_0403&PID_6001&REV_0400
The wallwart puts out 5V@500MA so pwr wise it is within USB2 specs.

The system is reporting a code 43.
If I plug this into ANY other USB port, USB3/2 or Root hub (USB2) it works.
It is reported as a USB Serial Converter under Universal Serial Bus controllers
driver is FTDI
If I plug ANY other usb device (flash drives, usb3 ext drive, CD Drive, even other usb 2 serial converters) in to these ports they work.
The ports r on a front panel bd with only a cap on the power leads.
I can't read the pwr in device manager since it doesn't report it under the usb root hub like others.
It generates the usb serial converter entry.
Otherwise it is a straight shot (4 wires x 2) from the MB to the board to the usb connector.
I have devices connected to other root hubs and they also work.
One would surmise that it is the connection from the MB to the device via that bd.
But then why do other devices work on both ports? they too use all 4 lines.

I have snooped around some German websites that deal with this problem. The consensus seems to be that the problem most likely occurs due to a driver or missing .dll problem.

that is a good theory, problem is if I plug it into the SAME MB ports except using the back addin 4 port adapter it works fine.
There is something mysterious about the front panel adapter - which as far as I can tell is the same arrangement except there does not seem to be any capacitors on the power leads on the back panel unit. These adapters r one2one 4pinx2 from MB to usb connectors. there is nothing else connected to the FP adapter - though there r headphone and mike connectors to the audio MB header which were not connected during test.

Something this scanner is sensitive to that NOTHING else is.

Back
Top Bottom