Windows 7 USB Printer Trouble

landscapeman

I can not seem to install a LaserJet 3015 using the USB cable. It doesn't seem to find the printer. I can install network printers. Any Ideas? Thanks

Hi there
some questions
1) Which windows are you running X32 / X64.
2) is the printer attached locally to the machine it fails to work on or is the printer connected to another computer on your network
3) what OS is the remote printer running if it's on that machine.

Incidentally Microsoft has VERY RECENTLY added a load of printer drivers on W7 (both versions) so plug your USB printer in to the LOCAL computer (USB port) and go into Windows Update. Look under Optional updates and you should see your printer driver there - select the update and install. I found an old EPSON 1290 driver also via the update --my original W7 installs didn't have this driver and the VISTA one didn't work.

Cheers
Jimbo

May I suggest that you download the drivers and printer software to the computer.
Be sure to unplug the printer from the computer.
Install the printer software, when it's time, you will be told to plug in the printer, and the installation will continue.

This is the most proper way to install any usb product, software and driver first, then the hardware.

I gave up on printers a couple years ago....driver problems, expensive ink, and I rarely used them, so the ink cartridge would dry up after just a few copies made, so I determined printers are just more trouble than they're worth. If I need something printed out, I e-mail it to myself, go down to the local library, access my e-mail account, and print it out there on their printers, and that cost me about a nickel or a dime per page, vrs. $50 for new ink cartriges, and dealing with jammed printers, driver problems or USB configuration problem.

The HP laser is fully supported by 7. It should theoretically automatically install when you plug in. But if it it not doing this, try the Add a printer" dialogue and use "add a local printer" and then create a "create a new port2. Give it a meaningful name. You will then get the full list of appropriate drivers that can be installed from within 7.

Thanks for the replys. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. The printer is connected locally using a usb. I can connect to 2 different Photosmarts via network(office printers). The software/driver fail to install due to compatibility issues. I been having this problem on Three diffrent computers running Windows 7(all 32 and Ultimate) I have received a update that helped with some printers through the network. I have alot of experiance using Linux(Ubuntu)with Windows I am sort of limited. Thank you agian.

The HP laser is fully supported by 7. It should theoretically automatically install when you plug in. But if it it not doing this, try the Add a printer" dialogue and use "add a local printer" and then create a "create a new port2. Give it a meaningful name. You will then get the full list of appropriate drivers that can be installed from within 7.

I will give that a try and post back with the results. Thanks

Last edited:
Printer install

Try yhe troubleshoot compatability first and use Vista, worked for me on a 2year old Lexmark 2350 printer.

I am having the exact same problem. My HP Laserjet 3015 will not work. I have done all of the suggestions above and it still does not work. Anyone have any more suggestions?

Try downloading the XP driver for this printer. For some reason the Windows 7 driver doesn't work as well. You may have to manually set up the duplexer if you have one. Hope it helps.

Back