Windows 7 USB Scanner not recognized in XP Mode (or in win 7)

cherrio

Extraordinary Member
I used to be able to attach my old USB scanner inside the virtual XP Mode PC. Now it will not show up under the USB attach/detach button. Outside the virtual PC under Win 7 ultimate, it shows up in device manager as unknown device. The scanner does not have a driver for Win 7 (I know this). So I used to be able to scan in the XP mode.

I have uninstalled the host USB controllers and restarted the PC twice in able to get all the USB devices reinstalled.

How can I get this old scanner to show up again inside the XP Mode?

XP mode does have its limitations - what has changed since the scanner did show under XP mode?

XP mode does have its limitations - what has changed since the scanner did show under XP mode?

Boy, I wish I could figure that out. No changes that I am aware of other than the normal MS updates that come in so often I cannot keep track. I suppose I could try a restore point but am not sure how far back to go since I don't use this scanner very often on this Win 7 PC.

It just gives me heartburn when MS releases a new OS and take away old capabilities. I know the reason but that will never make me go out and buy all new perhipherals.

I used to be able to attach my old USB scanner inside the virtual XP Mode PC. Now it will not show up under the USB attach/detach button. Outside the virtual PC under Win 7 ultimate, it shows up in device manager as unknown device. The scanner does not have a driver for Win 7 (I know this). So I used to be able to scan in the XP mode.

I have uninstalled the host USB controllers and restarted the PC twice in able to get all the USB devices reinstalled.

How can I get this old scanner to show up again inside the XP Mode?

At the top of the screen of the virtual machine menu (Action, USB, Tools), does the scanner show under USB?

I got my older HP scanners to work in Vista and Win 7 32 bit mode using XP drivers. Since there are no x64 drivers, I am out of luck with this install.

What scanner is it and what version of Win 7 are you running?

I got my older HP scanners to work in Vista and Win 7 32 bit mode using XP drivers. Since there are no x64 drivers, I am out of luck with this install.

What scanner is it and what version of Win 7 are you running?

It is an old reliable ScanJet HP 4100C.
I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

You appear to be in the same situation as I. Unless you can find a x64 driver from HP, which there does not appear to be, it will not work in an x64 virtual machine.

My confusion is that you seem to be saying the scanner was working for a period of time. If that is the case, I cannot explain the senario.

The Vuescan option Highwayman is recommending seems to be the best one since I did get a scanner to work in Win 7 x64 using it. You can download and try it before you buy..

Back