Windows 7 USB Unknown device, Mouse problems, BugCheck

riz

Hi,

I just installed a fresh Windows 7 Professional x86 on my HP a1210n desktop (the desktop is about 3 or so years old, it had XP on there before). I reformatted, etc, so it was a completely clean install.

All was well for a few days, while I was setting up all my applications (Office, VS.NET, SQL, etc...). Everything *seemed* fine, except I occasionally noticed a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" message when starting up. But I never saw any real "problems"...

Everything *seemed fine*, that is, until I went to add my USB printer and iPhone. The mouse was the only USB device I had been using and it has been working fine but I hadn't even tried any other usb devices at this point.

It doesn't recognize the printer (no "found new hardware, etc"). I also tried my iPhone - nothing... even the iphone doesn't show the green battery charging while its connected.

So I tried moving my usb mouse (which DOES work) to other usb ports, and it stopped working, so I thought maybe it was a bunch of bad ports (doubtful because they were all working before with XP). So I plugged the mouse back into the original port, but it didn't work then! It turns out that my mouse only works on the first port, AND it only works if it is connected when Windows 7 starts up. Once it has been unplugged and replugged, windows won't recognize it again until a reboot
When I plug it into any other port and reboot, the light on my mouse is ON up until the point where i get the message saying that windows is starting, and the mouse light flickers a couple times and then goes off, and the mouse is dead. However, if I boot up with the mouse in the first usb port, the light stays on and the mouse works fine.

Also I started digging in to the "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" message. I finally observed a really-quick Blue Screen Of Death on shutdown. It happens really fast so I had never noticed it before... it is after the "Shutting down..." message, and it's a blue background with blocks instead of letters and it is only displayed for a fraction of a second. Looks like it's happening on every shutdown, afaik... it's just so quick I never really paid it any mind.

I look in the Event Viewer after each reboot and see a Error log message:
BugCheck
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fe (0x00000008, 0x00000006, 0x00000006, 0x88669d88). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102909-26484-01.

I have tried plugging a USB hub into the first ("working") usb slot, and then plugging my mouse into the hub, but the mouse doesn't work through the hub.. mouse only works when directly plugged in to the first usb slot of the machine.

In Device Manager, I saw 3 USB controllers (1.0, 1.1, 2.0), plus 3 separate "USB Root Hub" nodes. I was also seeing a Unknown Device. I couldn't figure out what that was, except maybe the mouse itself????
I have tried using the Device Manager, and uninstalling ALL usb devices and controller listed, and rebooted. They all came back except the Unknown Device. But the problem is still the same as described.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
-Randy

I have an unknown device also however all my USB Devices work, so I just disabled the unknown device. I cannot find the problem but as long as everything works I will leave it alone.

Have you gone to hp's help and support site and looked for an updated bios file for your system and an update for drivers and the chip set?

Update on My unknown device I know what it is it is an E-Sata Port that is not in use and is located on the front of my Antec 1200 Case :):):):)

Back