Windows 7 Using Windows Anytime Upgrade

richard10

I just purchased a Toshiba NB305-410BL Netbook. I would like to convert Windows 7 Starter Edition that came with the computer to Windows 7 Home Premium. As I understand it, if I use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to do the upgrade, Windows Home Premium will be downloaded to my computer and I will be provided with a product key that I will have to enter at some point.

Before I lay out $80 or so for this upgrade I would like to know the following:
If my computer fails and I need to restore it with recovery disks or I need to replace my hard drive, will I be able to reinstall Windows Home Premium again without having to pay for it again? If so, how?
Thanks.
Richard

If my computer fails and I need to restore it with recovery disks or I need to replace my hard drive, will I be able to reinstall Windows Home Premium again without having to pay for it again? If so, how?
Thanks.
Richard

You'll need to restore/install 7 Starter first and then do the upgrade again. Keep the upgrade key and do not give it to anyone.

or

You can upgrade once and then back up your upgraded system by creating its image with a 3rd party backup software.

Hello Richard,

Your best bet is a clean new installation to avoid any problems. Regrettably, you will have to re-install most of your programs.
Backup all of your data to an external hard drive or flash drive.
Install clean installation of Windows 7 and then keep the Windows 7 Product key. You can activate it via Phone Activation system and at the same time, the copy on the so called "old computer" *your old windows system is deactivated.
Phone Activation system
================================================
1. Click the Start button, type "SLUI.EXE 4" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, and press "Enter".
2. Select the neatest location, and click "Next".
3. Please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.
4. The Windows Activation will generate a toll-free phone number. And the installation ID will be displayed in the following format:
xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx
5. Call the number to activate Windows 7.
Let me know how it goes!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Team
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom