Windows 7 Utility to conditionally delete files with same name

dilipb

I am a photographer and generate "raw" and JPG images. At a certain point in my workflow, I need to delete all the JPG images before proceeding. That's easy enough; in Windows Explorer, one can sort by type, then delete all the JPGs, or one could open up a command prompt in the directory and "erase *.jpg". But there's a complication; in some modes of the camera, no raw file is generated. In those cases, I just have one .jpg that I want to keep. Here is an example:

img1.cr2
img1.jpg
img2.cr2
img2.jpg
img3.jpg
img4.cr2
img4.jpg

I want to process this directory and end up with one file of each filename, as follows:

img1.cr2
img2.cr2
img3.jpg
img4.cr2

The pseudocode would go something like this:

Sort files by filename fname

IF fname.jpg and fname.cr2 both exist THEN delete fname.jpg

How can I easily do this? Thanks!

Dilip

I'm a photographer too, howdy partner!

Primarily, I would recommend to do it the hard way = manually. That way you know what has been done. Period. Takes a lot of mule work, but it's kind of safe. Considering the years I have spent in the darkroom... it doesn't sound that laborious.

Are you really and truly sure you want to automatically delete stuff? The automate has its dark side. Just an opinion. :scratch:

Thanks! No, I would want a confirmation dialog. But doing it manually, as I currently do, can be time consuming! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom