Windows 10 Version of windows

peterra

I am getting messages my P.C. screen each time I switch on, asking me to change to windows 10
I don't know what I have at the moment, but it works.

I also have a laptop, which used to work, but now cannot and gives me a message that there is a connection problem, which is rubbish. I think this dates from one of your updates on my P.C.

I don't want to change to windows10 if it is not going to work

How can I get my laptop to work ?
And I know you will think this odd, but where do I look, please, to find out which version of windows I have on my PC. I have had to put windows10 because it would not let the message through without something

On my laptop, in windows10, I now get " there is a problem with this websites security certificate "
I have no idea what this is, or what to do

And I have now seen the version of windows this is on, as it comes up when I switch on.
It is windows7
Can I change my laptop to windows7, rather than change my P.C. to windows10

When I google " there is a problem with this websites security certificate ",there are a number of websites purporting to have a "fix" or "way round"
One is
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/931850
Is this the official Microsoft solution ? If so, can you not build it into an update ? I am no youngster, and don't want to go further into the mire by trying to do things which I don't ( and don't want to ) understand

Capture49.JPG
You have a lot of questions! I don't know your computer skills? Lets start with the security certificate. Right click on tools IE- Internet connections-Advanced. Uncheck the box that is shown in my screen shot. Post back your results on this and we'll see about your other issues!
Capture48.JPG

Disable the Internet Explorer Security Certificate
Open Internet Explorer and click on "Tools," or the gear icon. Click "Internet Options" and click on the "Advanced" tab. Navigate to the "Security" subheading and remove the check marks on both the “Check for publisher’s certificate revocation” and “check for server certificate revocation” options. Click "OK" and then click "Apply." You may have to restart your computer for the options to fully take effect. Reload the website you were attempting to visit.
Occasionally, you will go to a website and receive an error that says there is a problem with the security certificate of the website you are trying to visit. You can bypass this error and enter the site; although beware, the website cannot be considered secure.

Last edited:
I had an email from [email protected] asking me to go to tools / internetet options / advanced
remove the check marks on both the “Check for publisher’s certificate revocation” and “check for server certificate revocation” options. Click "OK" and then click "Apply."
I got as far as OK, but could not click apply. I tried again, and still could not click the apply button.
I gave up, and started to shut down my laptop. Although I clicked on power and shut down, as usual, the laptop would not switch off. I did not do what you have written above, as I had not looked at this, thinking that the email was Microsoft's reply. So my PC is now sitting apparently switched on, but unusable. What do I do now ?

I have no idea what you have done. Unchecking those options would not cause your PC to not be usable.
Remove the battery and the AC adapter. Hold the power button on for 30 seconds. Plug in the AC adapter. Use power button to turn on laptop. Does this lap top have W10? I need a lot more information. Make and Model, OS What you have tried.

I am back to where I was - I managed to get to tools again and I have rechecked the two boxes that the email told me to uncheck

Then I re-unchecked them as per your message
The box with the red arrow was already unchecked
But I still cannot power off
And I have no internet access, all I get is "there is a problem with this website's security certificate"

Yes the laptop has windows10
It is a Lenovo G50-30 80G0
The operating system is google / internet explorer

All I tried to do was follow the email, but the problem predates that

Hi @peterra! Here are the recovery options for W10! If you can not follow or understand these, I suggest you take your lap top to a repair shop in your area. Let me know how things go for you!!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Back