Video Card Question

Depends.
If you're running really low res', then the 256 MB DDR3.
If you're running higher resolutions, the 512 MB DDR2.

To determine what you need, I'd have to ask what kinda games do you play, and what is the native resolution of your monitor.

Last edited:
Depends.
If you're running really low res', then the 256 MB DDR3.
If you're running higher resolutions, the 512 MB DDR2.

To determine what you need, I'd have to ask what kinda games do you play, and what is the native resolution of your monitor.

easy enough. my native resolution i assume is desktop. then the max i can put it on is 1600x1050 (or something like that) And i play alot of FPS/TPs, Racing and RTS (just starting to get into them). also my screen is 22 inch HD widescreen if that helps

im asking this because i already chose 512mb DDR2 over the 256mb DDR3 but im wondering if i made the right choice.

The actual gpu is going to make more of a difference than the amount of memory. What card did you get?

You'd want the more RAM then, so assuming both cards are the same save for the RAM, you made the right choice.
However, as that liekly isn't the case, what are the brands and model #'s of the cards you were choosing from.
Example: ATI Radeon HD4670 or NVidia Geforce GTX 260

You definitely made the right choice in my opinion... Especially with the monitor you have.. more memory the better to put it simply.. ;) Not to say memory speed isn't also important.. it is.. but again it all depends on what your doing with the card.. :)

Last edited:
its a 8600 GT 512mb. i also had a choice of 8600 Gt overclocked (the 256mb ddr3 one)

Mine: Link Removed - Invalid URL

other Choice; Link Removed - Invalid URL

edit: also to add i mainly picked this one cause i love to watch HD movies on my computer and as much as i know this is the better choice for movies.

and i have 4 gig ram and a quad core processor so if im going to upgrade anything its my video card again as i have a 90 day step up trial ^^.

Last edited:
Yeh good choice. They both are only 128 bit wide. You wouldve only noticed a performance bump on the gddr3 until the 256mb was filled up.

also ill be upgrading with the step up programin in a month or 2. what would be a better upgrade?

1 gig DDR3 (havnt decided on the exact cards yet as i have a month)
or 512 mb DDR5

i know more video memory is good for my screen but isn't 512 mb enough? or would 1 gig really help me out more then a faster speeds?

my specs are just saying if it helps.
2.4 gh'z Q6660 Quad core
4 Gig ram
22 HD widescreen
350V power (will be upgrading to whatever the card i get requires)

It depends on the exact card you're getting or the cards you're choosing between. a 1GB 9800GTX+ would get pwn'd by a 512 MB GTX 295. So yeah, we need the cards, not the amount of RAM.

Definately the right choice, especially after looking over the posting of the perforance scores that many people posted for the fact that the video card and memory of the card had the lowest score in 80% of these posting under graphic performance.

Back