Windows 10 Video scheduler internal error

K997

Hi everyone,

Recently while i was playing a game my laptop crashed with a blue screen with the message " your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart...
with the stop code DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. I then factory reset my laptop back to windows 8.1 as that was the only recovery back up I had.

After upgrading to windows 10 from there, after a few minutes I got the same crash with another error - VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR.
This puts the laptop in a loop and i cannot boot windows normally.

From the past few days I have been jumping between windows 8.1 and 10 trying to solve it. From what I have seen so far, when windows 10 is freshly installed now, some drivers are missing. I believe the culprit is - 3D video controller whose driver is missing. (Probably my nvidia graphics card).

As soon as windows installs the missing driver, it crashes and goes into the loop.

I have tried letting windows automatically find the driver, which fails. I also tried using a third party app called drive booster to do the job. When the driver installation reached 91%, it crashed.

How should I go about this? I am currently on windows 8.1. I believe i'm trying to install the latest windows build -1709.

Thanks

Hi K997,
without seeing any system details it's hard to say for certain what the actual issue is.

Uploading a dump file would certainly help and the sticky at the start of this section will help you.

It sounds like your using a laptop? If so then laptops have to use drivers supplied by the laptop manufacturer and visiting your support page may help?

Please post some system specifications or even a dump file and we'll be able to help you further.

Oh, did you test your system for compatibility with Windows 10?

May I add, also don't use programs like drive booster as they're problematic and most of the time cause more issues than they purport to fix.

Cheers Rich, i initially did mention about driver booster being pants but then rewrote some of the post and forgot to put it back in.

Sorry for not uploading a dump file, i couldn't since it's stuck in a non-booting loop.
I never tested for compatibility as i was using win 10 itself before it happened.

But I have some new information. I went into safe mode and uninstalled my nvidia graphic card's driver. Now the laptop boots windows normally. The wifi is off so it doesn't automatically download any drivers and crash.

It was the latest driver from Nvidia's site. I don't see specific drivers on my laptop, lenovo's page.
What should I do now? I could install the latest version on windows 8.1 so i doubt it's hardware.

If you can post the make and model (I know it's a Lenovo but which one) please be as specific as possible.

You should be able to find a gpu driver on the support page and if you post your details i'll have a look see for you.

The fact that you could remove the driver in safe mode and it running better probably means if we find the right driver you should be ok.

Let us know of those details asap please.

If you can post the make and model (I know it's a Lenovo but which one) please be as specific as possible.

You should be able to find a gpu driver on the support page and if you post your details i'll have a look see for you.

The fact that you could remove the driver in safe mode and it running better probably means if we find the right driver you should be ok.

Let us know of those details asap please.

Sorry for not mentioning these details earlier.

Laptop: Lenovo Y50-70
Nvidia GTX 860M - 4GB GDDR5
i7 processor, 8 GB RAM

Please take a look and let me know if you find something.
I have tried the latest driver from nvidia's site which didn't help so I was thinking of trying an older version.

lenovo.jpg

Hi,
much thanks for the info, I found your support page and arrowed the two available drivers although it's up to you if you want to update both
laptops and netbooks :: lenovo y series laptops :: y50 70 notebook lenovo Lenovo PC Support

Just in case the link i provided doesn't take you back to exactly that spot in the screenshot means you'll have to find them again.
Click this link:
laptops and netbooks :: lenovo y series laptops :: y50 70 notebook lenovo Lenovo PC Support
Or google for Lenovo Y50-70 support. Once you find that page simply click on 'Drivers and Software':
lenovo2.jpg

To remove your drivers try using the Display Driver Uninstaller as this will remove any corruption too. You'll have to boot into safe mode to use it but you can remove both (nvidia and intel) gpu drivers (one at a time) using the app.

Hope all goes well.

Installing that nvidia driver did not work. I also tried to install it in safe mode.
After starting my laptop I just get a black screen with a spinning cursor.

BTW these are the missing drivers after installing windows 10.

missing drivers.PNG

I can now boot even after installing the driver.
I installed the two driver under the chipset heading as you said. I also installed a storage one from the support page.

But the deal is, windows still crashes during the nvidia driver installation. The blue screen came up only during the driver installation, however it faded fast and rebooted in normal mode. When it booted i couldn't see the nvdia control panel so I installed it again and it crashed.
Now I can access the nvidia control panel and it shows the device is working properly from the device manager. However i do not know if it installed properly ( probably not, if it crashed during the setup) and whether the booting is permanently fixed.

Edit: Still getting random crashes. Have tried to get a crash dump file

Attachments

• W7F_29-12-2017.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 119, {1, 0, 1, ffffa30e1889b010}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchiVerifyDriverReportedFenceId+10cde )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
all the dump files were same and basically mean that the gpu/driver is asking for a 'ticket' to access and process a direct memory buffer which is simply a way of accessing the ram without having to use the cpu.
Now as your running normally I have a feeling that because you didn't install those Chipset drivers straight away or the storage driver then this may be why you got the blue screens.
Whenever you install a new os the first drivers installed should always be the chipset followed by graphics. audio, etc...

If the blue screens reappear please post back with the resulting dump file and we'll do some further testing.

As you have had a number of bsod's try running these scans and if any corruption has set in then these scans may fix it:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I just noticed you say your getting random crashes. Try running the above scans followed by the DDU. Install the driver found on your support page.

Last edited:
Any news?

Plus when you were running the gpu before the crashes started was it overclocked?

Any news?

Plus when you were running the gpu before the crashes started was it overclocked?

I have yet to do the scans. I currently need the laptop to work so I disabled the NVidia card from the device manager. This has stopped the crashes.

No it was not overclocked.

Understood.. How old is the machine exactly and is it still under warranty?

The only reason i ask is because as the nvidia gpu keeps crashing then there may be a hardware issue but testing will prove either way.

As I said above, when you can, if you don't mind please run those scans above, followed by the DDU (in safe mode) followed by installation of the driver from your support page.
If the bsod still continues then we will run further tests.

All scans came showed no problem.

I enabled the driver before the sfc scannow, which crashed the scan so I had to redo it. No integrity violation was found. the online disc image restored properly as well.

Reinstalling the driver in safe mode, makes windows freeze randomly now

Attachments

• W7F_30-12-2017.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Did you remove the original driver using the DDU?

Reinstalling the driver in safe mode, makes windows freeze randomly now
Are you still blue screening as well? Why send the dump files if it's freezing only? If the crashing has stopped and your just getting freezing then try running the above scans again.

Last edited:
Back