Windows 7 Vista 64 Premium to Win7 64 Premium through ISO, install issues.

Insaneguy75

I'm using the ISO method to upgrade my computer to Win7 64 Premium. I made sure to follow the upgrade path, and I'm going to the right version. However, when I try to install, it gets past the 'gathering information' steps without a hitch, but it cancels out at 0% of the install progress.

The error I receive is that I'm missing dbgeng.dll, and I should re-install the program. Obviously this isn't an option, because I haven't installed anything yet ;,,;. Any repeated attempts to install come up with an unknown error.

I definitely have dbgeng.dll in my system32 folder. Anyone know what's going on?

More info-
-using DaemonTools Lite for the ISO mounting
-have tried extracting the files and running like that
-have tried adding dbgeng.dll to the other dll's contained in the ISO

I got it straight from DigitalRiver, can't see what could be wrong.

And getting another download isn't an option. The upgrade program isn't for my computer, it's a long story.

Is it Home Premium you're trying to install?

Go here to get another ISO image: [FONT=&quot]64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Digital River: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Then burn it to a blank DVD at no faster that 4X burning speed using ImgBurn or another ISO burning program. Then do a Clean Install as upgrade installs have been giving people problems.

The above link is a good one, believe me, lot's of people have used it.
[/FONT]

that's the exact same file I went for.

Alright, I'll try a clean install. I already burned it to a DVD. Now I just need to back stuff up... Stupid external hard drive. Giving me ridiculously slow speeds, I think it's busted.

Make sure you select the Boot DVD Drive as the first option in the BIOS, so the install goes correctly. When it says "Press any key to boot from DVD" do that quickly and it will start automatically.

You can't do a clean install from starting it in Windows, it will tell you to boot from the DVD Drive.

Good Luck! Hope it goes well for you!

Last edited:
yep, I got that part. Now... goddamn backup...

when you do a clean install there's no way of keeping your files? aside from partitioning?

You can save your music, photos, documents, pdf and other files to either your external hard drive or a DVD-RW. It's a bitch for a clean install I know, I've done it. You will have to re-install your programs, etc.

I never did it with a partition, I just save over all my files I wanted to keep to my external drive and then installed Windows 7 and did new partitions too.

yeah, that's what I've been doing for a bit, but my external hard drive is pretty slow. 3 hours to go on all my files that I want to keep, which is under 15GB. UGH.

Well, go have a couple of beers, smoke a cigarette (if you smoke), take a shower, watch a movie, chase your significant other around the house (maybe you'll get lucky), walk the dog, take out the trash, change the oil in the car and then kick back and relax! By then, it should be done transferring all your files and you can get rolling. Or you could just go to bed and take a nap? LOL

I'm being tongue in cheek here! I empathize with you, I had to do a big transfer of files like once, ever since I always transfer files on an every other day basis so I won't have to go through with that again.

It sounds like your USB connection is slow or something. 3 hours is an excruciatingly long time to transfer 15 GBs of data. Is your hard drive a 5400 or 7200 RPM? Is it a SATA or PATA? I am now using an eSATA setup for my external hard driver and it really moves.

Hi, sorry for the intrusion in the thread, but is it then possible to proceed to the upgrade with an ISO download? Looking all over Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade pages I couldn't find this. Is this only valid for students?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a DELL laptop with Windows Vista Business 32 bit and I'd like to upgrade (actually I'd do a clean install) to Windows 7 (Professional) x64.
In the Microsoft page they tell me to use DELL's upgrade process, but there are various problems doing so. First of all DELL's form does not allow me to select a different language or bit architecture from the one I originally purchased with this laptop (which as I've read on the Microsoft website should be allowed). Secondly they want to charge me 15$ for the shipping (?) of the DVDs. I understand that they cannot take on the themselves the cost of shipping, but my question is: why bother shipping anyway? Couldn't they provide a downloadable version? Needless to say I tried already contacting DELL's support, but all I got is some kind of semi-automated answer which points me to DELL's support KB and Q&A page, which is not really helpful.

So I wonder if this can be the way to go. Downloading an ISO from that site and then somehow upgrade my Vista cdkey to a 7 one, or can I directly use my OEM cdkey as it is?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for the intrusion in the thread, but is it then possible to proceed to the upgrade with an ISO download? Looking all over Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade pages I couldn't find this. Is this only valid for students?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a DELL laptop with Windows Vista Business 32 bit and I'd like to upgrade (actually I'd do a clean install) to Windows 7 (Professional) x64.
In the Microsoft page they tell me to use DELL's upgrade process, but there are various problems doing so. First of all DELL's form does not allow me to select a different language or bit architecture from the one I originally purchased with this laptop (which as I've read on the Microsoft website should be allowed). Secondly they want to charge me 15$ for the shipping (?) of the DVDs. I understand that they cannot take on the themselves the cost of shipping, but my question is: why bother shipping anyway? Couldn't they provide a downloadable version? Needless to say I tried already contacting DELL's support, but all I got is some kind of semi-automated answer which points me to DELL's support KB and Q&A page, which is not really helpful.

So I wonder if this can be the way to go. Downloading an ISO from that site and then somehow upgrade my Vista cdkey to a 7 one, or can I directly use my OEM cdkey as it is?

Thanks

I'll try to answer these in the order asked:

1. Yes you can use an ISO image download with your product key. Just be SURE to burn the ISO to a blank DVD at 4x speed, no faster. Use ImgBurn as it seems to give the best results, it can verify the burn against the ISO and it's FREE! Download HERE.

2. Here is a link 64-bit Windows 7 Professional x64 ISODigital River: Link Removed due to 404 Error
This is a 3.02GB ISO download and may take up to 4 hours or more, depending upon your connection speed. :cool:

3. Is your OEM Windows 7 Product Key for the Professional version? It it is then you're good to go, remember that with OEM keys you won't get a MS tech support because they consider you to be the "system builder". :eek:

Windows Product Keys are tied to the version purchased. You can't use a Home Premium product key for Professional or Ultimate. However, you can use a Professional product key for either the x86 (32 bit) install or x64 (64 bit) install.

Remember though that ONE product key = ONE install per ONE machine.

Hope it goes well for ya!

Hi, thanks a lot for all the answers! My last doubt is that I have a key for a Vista OEM, can I use it directly for Windows 7 or do I need to do some kind of interchange of my Vista key to get a valid 7 key? Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the clarification, do you know on any way I can change my Vista key into a valid 7 key? DELL has not been very collaborative about this and so if there was a way to do this bypassing them it would be great. Otherwise I could call them and hope they do this type of thing.

Back