Windows Vista Vista does not allow access to certain websites

TunaHunter

I’m currently running Windows Vista Ultima 32bit on a Dell Inspiron D530. My problem is I can’t access certain websites i.e. LINKEDIN the browser will search forever and not find the site. I don’t think it’s a browser issues (Internet Explorer), the same problem occurs on Safari as well.
I’ve contacted my internet provider (Verizon) and Microsoft to no avail… no one seems to understand why I’m having this issue.
I also have two laptops running XP and I don’t have this issue on the laptops
Also, if I ping the website it seems to send and receive packets.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
:confused:

Hi,
you don't say if your running SP1 or not... The reason i say this is, is because it contains a hotfix that stopped the issue you describe... If you do have SP1 installed could you post the web address or send it to me by pm and I'll check on it for you.. :)

hmm.... I tried your link with no problems at all...
Are you running any third party firewalls or other security measures?

One of our members should be in the forum later, hopefully he'll have an idea of whats occuring..

Have you tried checking if the router has any firmware updates?

Sorry, plucking at straws here...:confused:

I've 'pmed' one of our experts so hopefully next time he's in the forum he'll offer some advise ...If he can.. no promises mind..:D

Try this first.
Open a command prompt (Right click and "run as Adminstrator")
Type this, and then press ENTER:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

If it says Command succesful, or a similar message, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
Restart the computer.
Now try the website.
If this doesn't work then try these:
First thing. if you are using a router - that definitely looks suspect to me. Try and switch it off for about 10 seconds, to give it time to dissipate, then try the site again.
Next, for IE. (If this works we,ll try and sort out Firefox!!!) open Tools - Internet Options - Security.
For the sake of this test, lower the security level and untick (if it is ticked) "Enable Protected mode"
If that does not work, return the settings to the default, for the sake of continued security.
Go to Advanced and scroll down to "TLS 1.0" and untick it. If this works, then it is because the websites you are trying to access have not updated.
Other than that, I,m as baffled as you at this stage
P.S. Later.
It occurred to me, scraping back through the rustier parts of my brain, that there was, as far back as windows XP, one other problem. I thought by now it would have been automatically resolved. Sometimes it happens that a site (IP address) is not registered, or registered incorrectly, with another ISP. I know nothing about Verizon, but, if none of the above do not work, I would suggest you knock a little harder on their door.

Could this possibly be a driver problem ? Remember the "Marvell Yukon Beta Drivers" ? I think they can be used in Vista as well. As I recall, after they fixed those drivers, they could suddenly access certain websites as well. Weird!!!

The guy I pmed has already posted an answer above (much thanks davehc) but he also included these instruction in a pm to me, so I've copied and pasted them here for you...
quote:

l followed the thread, but this is a problem with a lot of answers. Not very succesful ones at that!
First thing. I would say, is that you should ask him if he is going through a router - hat definitely looks suspect to me. If so, try and switch it off for about 10 seconds, to give it time to dissipate, then try the site again.
Next, for IE. (If this works we,ll try and sort out Firefox!!!)open Tools - Internet Options - Security.
For the sake of this test, lower the security level and untick (if it is ticked) "Enable Protected mode"
If that does not work, return the settings to the default, for security. Go to Advanced and scroll down to "TLS 1.0" and untick it. If this works, then it is because the websites he is trying to access have not updated.
Other than that, I,m as baffled as you at this stage.
Quote:

I saw the OP on some other forums. I answered on one. I think he has got his (succesful) answer.
I know little about the codeing of forums as I have never tried it, but on a couple of others I browse, there is a very friendly option to mark a thread as solved. Any chance?

It's a good suggestion and I'll pass it on to the powers that be and see if there's any possiblilites...
Also Dave, did you get my pm?

Yes. Ill give it some thought. But I am a bit hardcore - might tread on a few toes!!

Back