Windows Vista Vista restoration problem

Clanofwolves

OK, I have an issue that has the local geek squad saying, "um, I have no clue." I don't ask help much, guy issue I know.

Anyway, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ240E that I set up as a dual boot Vista/XP so I can use an older version of Architectural Deskstop on the XP side. I have a mirror of the hard-drive on an external drive; the internal drive shot the poop...so to speak; it died. I have no restoration disk as Sony had it on the original drive. I contacted them and they don't have any bootable restoration Vista disks to send me; "I'm screwed" said the customer service gal. Help!!!!! Thanks!!!

OK, I have an issue that has the local geek squad saying, "um, I have no clue." I don't ask help much, guy issue I know.

Anyway, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ240E that I set up as a dual boot Vista/XP so I can use an older version of Architectural Deskstop on the XP side. I have a mirror of the hard-drive on an external drive; the internal drive shot the poop...so to speak; it died. I have no restoration disk as Sony had it on the original drive. I contacted them and they don't have any bootable restoration Vista disks to send me; "I'm screwed" said the customer service gal. Help!!!!! Thanks!!!

Sorry but if you already have a mirror of the old hdd then why do you need a Vista restore Disc... was the old one encripted?

In any event a fresh re-install of Vista on a new-ish (this motherboard needs an older hdd- try the local tip shop) so should work then use Acronis to import the image over it--- or whatever back up software you made it with.

edit; typo

Last edited:
Hi,
do you still have the old activation key? If so then it might just a case of finding an oem copy of vista. I did find this if you want to risk it:
Windows Vista Home Premium Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit
That would be something I'd totally give a try because I have nothing to loose. I have a question kemical, how do I get it on my laptop? Mine has no OS and all Zi have that I could load is a 2002 version of XP that doesn't have the Vaio drivers nor is now supported. Thanks!!

how do I get it on my laptop?
Download the iso and burn it to disk/USB. I'm not even sure this will work to be honest and you might be looking at buying a new os. The reason i say this is because even if you have the activation key it will be for an OEM version of Vista and i doubt it will work with a full retail copy. I'm hoping that you can use the retail version to get you started with vista installed on the new drive then pop your mirror of vista over the top. You might then be able to activate it but like i said I'm not entirely sure it will work.

Sorry but if you already have a mirror of the old hdd then why do you need a Vista restore Disc... was the old one encripted?

In any event a fresh re-install of Vista on a new-ish (this motherboard needs an older hdd- try the local tip shop) so work then use Acronis to import the image over it--- or whatever back up software you made it with.

Thanks for your amazing assistance; forgive my limited knowledge as I am an architect of the old days not the new

Um, no, the mirrored one doesn't seem to be encrypted, it is visible on the XP explorer I loaded on the new HD (in my vain attempts to do something), but I don't know how to get it to move back on the laptop on the new HD.

The backup software was Macrium Reflet I'm pretty sure; but I have no idea how to use it as it was on the HD, the old dead one. 'Wherever the carcass is, the vultures will gather.'

Thanks!!

Download the iso and burn it to disk/USB. I'm not even sure this will work to be honest and you might be looking at buying a new os. The reason i say this is because even if you have the activation key it will be for an OEM version of Vista and i doubt it will work with a full retail copy. I'm hoping that you can use the retail version to get you started with vista installed on the new drive then pop your mirror of vista over the top. You might then be able to activate it but like i said I'm not entirely sure it will work.
Well, everything I've tried so far had little chance too; thanks!

Your very welcome.. Good luck with the install.. :)
One question while I'm attempting this craziness haha: since XP isn't supported anymore, if I cannot resurrect Vaio's head, isn't there a new OS that has an XP imitator that you can run old stuff on in a window in the new OS?

I didn't see your other post until now so I've merged the threads. USSNorways suggestion sounds best.

Hmm my experience with laptops is limited as I've never owned one but USSNorway might know of a good selection?

Back
Top Bottom