Windows Vista Vista theme changed automatically!

Ballyshannon

I've been running Vista Home Premium, SP1, and Live One Care for about a year and has been very stable with no odd happenings....until today. My system normally goes through an auto tune-up once a week but that's set for Sundays in the early morning hours. Today is Friday and when I came into my office and turned on the monitor, my system had rebooted and the default Vista theme was gone, and is now the standard Windows theme. When I go to Personalize/Theme, the only items in the list are My Current Theme, Windows Classic, and Browse. The only theme now available is Windows Classic, but I prefer the default Vista theme and am used to it. I guess a theme is a theme and it's really no big deal, but now I'm just wondering what happened.

I was thinking it's probably an update but I always unplug my modem's power connection at night, so I don't know how any updates could have been done overnight. All day yesterday until around midnight when I unplugged the modem and went to bed, all was fine with the default Vista theme still there. Then this morning.....BOOM...it was gone and replaced by the standard Windows theme. Odd.

Any ideas what's happening?

Have you tried restoring to an earlier time Ballyshannon?

No, I tried doing a restore several months ago concerning something else and it really screwed some things up, so I'm very hesitant to try it again. If I can remember how to access the list of all updates, I can see if somehow an update was done last night and if so, uninstall it.

If you open the control panel and click system and security, you'll see it listed under updates (see screenshot)..

Thanks. I decided to go ahead and do a restore back to 11/04/09 and that did the trick. Back to the default Vista theme. Must have been the last update, so I've changed automatic updating to notify me first before doing anything.

Back