Windows 7 Vista->W7 upgrade unnsuccessful at 100%

Grizzlyadamz

HP pavilion dv5-1250us
Vista home premium 64bit
I have upgrade adviser, cleared all conflicts by uninstalling all conflicting programs and updating all drivers, (as in, NO conflicts), and went through with the upgrade for the third time now. Soon after it started, an error message came up saying that there was a problem with the keyboard, (we had already gotten the hp quicklinks driver updated and off the conflicts list however), but it continued on. It hung up twice during the install but this was remedied by ejecting and reinserting the disc. At the very end, (100% transferring/restoring files, last step), everything was copacetic, it finished restarting for the third time, (not in a row, but during the entire upgrade process), and once again declared that the upgrade wasn't successful and that it was restoring previous settings. It is still in that process as I'm typing. What went wrong this time? No explanation, no warning, just gives up after completing the entire installation. We cannot clean install as it is only an upgrade disc. How the hell do I get this thing to work? Three days and many hours spent on this are looking more and more pointless.

Also, the setupact.log doesn't list any obvious errors and the last entry was at 2:30, current time being 7.

You can do a clean install with an upgrade DVD. Just boot to the DVD and select Custom install. As long as the prior OS is available, the upgrade will work.

Some folks have different opinions about what a clean install is, but I feel if the old drivers are not being used, and the registry is new and clean, it is a clean install.

There should also be a setuperr.log file, but you need to get the ones from the Panther directory or from the hidden directory. This site might describe some of your options

Last edited:
Back