Windows 10 W10-32BIT & UBUNTU DUAL-BOOT ON ACER MINI.

BIGBEARJEDI

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

Hi everyone,

I just got this working last night and I thought it was worth sharing with other forum users here. The interesting part was that the first time I tried to set this up, I downloaded the Ubuntu ISO file from Ubuntu.com official page. I created the USB bootable stick on a flash drive on my Dell desktop PC running W10 64bit. When I attempted to install using the bootable Ubuntu flas drive, it failed and I got an error message that said my Acer netbook was a 32bit OS and that the newest version of Ubuntu (v16.04LTS) was not compatible with my 32bit machine.:furious:

I had a thought that I recalled that the previous version of Ubuntu had both 32bit and 64bit ISO files via separate downloads. The first Ubuntu flash drive I tried was a Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit I made last year. This didn't work, so that's when I tried making the 16.04LTS bootable flash drive. The 16.04LTS apparently is supposed to contain both 32bit and 64bit capabilities, but when I created the flash drive using the 16.04LTS ISO file, it failed with the same non-compatible error message.:headache:

I wondered if it made a difference if I created the Ubuntu flash drive on a W10 machine or not, especially a W10 64bit OS machine. So, I thought if I tried this on a W7 32bit machine, it might work. I also tried downloading the Ubuntu 14.04LTS 32bit ISO file and burned the USB stick with Rufus 2.9. This worked perfectly, and allowed me to install 14.04LTS on my unallocated partition (50GB) on my 160GB drive in my Acer netbook. So, I now have it working with the Ubuntu boot manager that let's me select either Ubuntu 14.04LTS or my W10. In fact I'm connected via wifi to the Internet and am posting this from my Acer via the Ubuntu boot.:up:

I'm wondering whether or not it would work the same if I had used the Ubuntu 16.04LTS ISO file and burned the USB stick on my W7 machine whether it would auto-install the 16.04 version on the Acer even though it's a W10-32bit system. I'll try that later and post back the result. I'm guessing the new 16.04 version should have the ability to auto-recognize whether the target machine has a 32bit CPU or 64bit chip and install the corresponding 32bit or 64bit version as required. In my case, I'm hoping it will install the 16.04 version on my Acer 32bit machine. As was done with the 14.04 version. I'm guessing I'll have to create the USB Ubuntu flash drive on the W7 computer.

Mostly, I'm just posting this if anyone else is trying to create a dual-boot W10-Ubuntu system and get's stuck trying to create the Ubuntu bootable flash drive on the W10 machine as I did.

Cheers!

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

There should not be any issues creating the bootable Ubuntu flash drive on any version of Windows, I do it all the time. Also to clarify Ubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit are separate ISO files so that may be why you had some issues.

Hi neemo;
that's what I thought too. However, on Ubuntu's website there are no longer separate 32bit and 64bit ISO files to download for the latest version 16.04LTS.

BBJ

Hi pnamajck,
It's been awhile; thanks for the assist.;) I didn't see both 32bit and 64bit on Ubuntu.com website as I said. Many Thanks very much for the links!!:bighug: I'm going to download and burn to USB flash drive and see if I can get 16.04 onto my dual-boot Acer mini. I've been a big fan of Ubuntu/Kubuntu ever since 14.04LTS.

Cheers!
BBJ

Hi neemo;
that's what I thought too. However, on Ubuntu's website there are no longer separate 32bit and 64bit ISO files to download for the latest version 16.04LTS.

Actually the link on their site goes to the 64 bit ISO, to get the 32 bit you have to click on alternate download link

actually … seems possible this may be a browser or even ubuntu-server issue … ended up "refreshing" my firefox-browser to render the correct url's intact. should be as follows:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso
ubunntu_64bit.png

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04-server-i386.iso
ubunntu_32bit.png

thanks for pointing that out, neemobeer … and let us know how it goes, bbj.

Ahh, I think I might have missed that, thanks, Neemo!!:up: I see it now, it's in a new location off the Download tab. Cool beans! :teeth: Other folks reading this can benefit from that.:bighug: Ubuntu just like Microsoft or other software OS makers frequently update their website, and a change like that isn't immediately apparent. Ha! :razz:

Anyway, I've downloaded the 16.04LTS 32bit version from pnamajck's link, and burnt the USB stick. I'm installing the 16.04 over the 14.04 right now, and will post back my result probably later tonight. Wish me luck!:clover:

BBJ

actually … seems possible this may be a browser or even ubuntu-server issue … ended up "refreshing" my firefox-browser to render the correct url's intact. should be as follows:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso
View attachment 32985

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04-server-i386.iso
View attachment 32986

thanks for pointing that out, neemobeer … and let us know how it goes, bbj.
>>>Am installing it right now, will let everyone on this thread know later tonight. Thanks again you guys for your help on this. Super-helpful!!<<<
best,
BBJ

Back
Top Bottom