Windows 7 W7 'can't open gpedit.msc'

danno99uk

Hi all

I've just built and installed my new Windows 7 PC. Good times! However, while trying to work out how to get my Tascam US-122 soundcard to work with W7 I found a solution (I think on this very forum) that required me to add a custom shutdown script to 'gpedit.msc'. Problem is, 'gpedit.msc' doesn't open in the Run menu, simply giving me the standard message that I've mis-typed something and it can't find it.

Please help - I'm very frustrated!!

regards
Dan
(also there's only one user account on the comp, so it's not a permissions issue I don't think)

are you using the winkey + R and typing the full title, including the .msc

Which version of Win 7 are you running?

Yes - both. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium - I clean booted it myself last night.

in the run field I'm entering exactly "gpedit.msc" (without the quotes of course). Thanks for the speedy reply by the way!

any ideas?

Windows 7 Home premium doesn't have gpedit.msc.

Problem Windows 7 Cannot Find Gpedit.msc

The problem is that although you type precisely gpedit.msc Windows 7 cannot find gpedit.msc. The most likely cause is that you have the Home Premium edition. It's most disappointing that you can only find gpedit.msc in the Ultimate, Professional (old Business) and Enterprise editions, and not in the Home Premium or Basic editions.
The other problem is that you forget to type the .msc extension. Windows 7 cannot find gpedit unless you append the .msc file extension.

Microsoft Windows 7 Group Policy Editor Gpedit.msc

I hate to have to tell you that.

Maybe this will take a little bit of the sting out of it.

Right click the desktop.
Mouse over: New.
Click: Shortcut.
In the location window paste - C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Click: Next
Name it something like "All Tasks" or something similar.
It will give you a shortcut to all the different settings you can make in windows 7.

Oh, that IS very useful - I'm sure it'll solve many problems in the future even if it can't solve this particular one. Thanks, appreciated!

dan

Go to Start > Run, and type mmc

Or simple do it from the Start Menu under the Search box.

Then choose File > Add?Remove snap-in and select Group policy Editor

Last edited:
Yeah, the Group Policy editor just isn't there in home premium by the looks of it. Will have to re-think....

cheers
dan

Go to Start > Run, and type mmc

Or simple do it from the Start Menu under the Search box.

Then choose File > Add?Remove snap-in and select Group policy Editor
You need to try out reghakr's suggestion here. It seems to be the same thing you get with gpedit.msc. It saves the shortcut into Administrative tools. Maybe it works for me because I'm still using the RC. But I think it's worth a try.

Last edited:
I have - there is no such snap-in as either 'Group Policy Editor' or 'gpedit' - it just doesn't exist in Home Premium by the look of it. Thanks for taking the time to help though, it's much appreciated.

Yeah I see. When I was using XP Pro x64 I had the gpedit.msc but my wife's old laptop with XP Home didn't. This is precisely the reason I will have W7 Pro or better when I get the money to upgrade my system and get my new O/s. That plus networking works better if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Maybe this will take a little bit of the sting out of it.

Right click the desktop.
Mouse over: New.
Click: Shortcut.
In the location window paste - C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Click: Next
Name it something like "All Tasks" or something similar.
It will give you a shortcut to all the different settings you can make in windows 7.

Thank You for this shortcut. Using it I did find CEIP ON(CEIP Settings) instead of OFF as I had originally installed it. I am doing problem determination re to a problem where Power Management gets confused and forgets to continue to keep my battery charged -- I am ALWAYS on A/C power. Its either a conicidence or one problem causes the other, but every time I find my Power Mgt ICON saying "plugged in, not charging" there was an Event indicating that CEIP was trying to send info to MSFT that includes an error 90080108 different from one when power isn't messed up (80004005). Disabling CEIP may be one more step to isolating the cause of my intermittent problem. Once again, THANKS.

Last edited:
Back