Windows 7 w7 pro > ultimate ?

tryon

I have W7 pro installed on 2 computers with my msdn-aa license.

I just arrived from microsoft's align-it tour yesterday in Quebec city and they gave us a free w7 ultimate. I would like to try out bitlocker so I need to install this "higher" version.

I tried putting the new CDkey but he said I would have to run through the whole setup again so my question is this:
If I "upgrade" my w7 pro to w7 ultimate will I have to reinstall all my program/settings ?

Last edited:
In this case it's an upgrade from W7 pro to W7 ultimate so I only wanted to know in this particular case, I never upgrade from 2 different OS, but in this case it's the same "base" os so maybe it would only add the missing modules from my profesionnal edition...

If you "clean" install,. you'll need to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

Write down a list of programs that need re-installed,.

I hope you saved the zip files to re-install..

A small price to play,. and this will reduce conflicts

You need to copy your Documents,. Pictures,. nu sic,. contacts,. videos,. etc to a flash drive

Yeha I know what a clean install means guys, I've been studying CS for more than 5 years now... I just wished to know if between 2 versions of windows this was ok, cause I never do/recommend "upgrade" otherwise I was just wondering about this particular case because it's the same basic os, but thx anyway...

Last edited:
Truthfully I've seen many posts whee it fails and they can't get the files restored.

IMHO,. I would recomend not using it.

What the heck, use Windows backup and restore to backup an image or your current setup, then do the in-place upgrade. I am not sure how the licenses work for the msdn thing, or whether you are using upgrade or full versions of the install DVDs, which might effect prior licenses.

HP's come with so much junk,. it's unbelievable.

Go yo Start > run,. an type msconfig,. click the Startup tab and uncheck everything expect for you anti-virus software,. spyware detecter ,. and personal firewalll if you have one,.'

If Norton was pre-installed,. get rid of It using RevoUinstaller:
Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download

Download the Norton Removal Tool here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

yeha the ultimate version they gave us is full copy (worth 200$ ^^)

I could do af ull "backup" and restore from it (I have daily and weekly full-backup cycle anyway)... but I hate reinstalling and patching games :S (steam's great, but not all my games are on it !)

I thought you were referingr to HP games.

Are you saying you got a full version of Norton or a full version of Windows 7?

Last edited:
yeha the ultimate version they gave us is full copy (worth 200$ ^^)

I could do af ull "backup" and restore from it (I have daily and weekly full-backup cycle anyway)... but I hate reinstalling and patching games :S (steam's great, but not all my games are on it !)

why don't you put all your games onto a separate partition then all you need do is refresh the links to them ;)

I have Steam , Mir 2 , WOW , Entropia Universe on their own partition, which is 38 gig of installs that I haven't had to reinstall at all over the past 14 months, while I was doing repeated reinstalls of windows 7 during beta testing :)

I honestly don't know if you would get any issues installing ultimate over pro but I reckon that could take as long as a fresh install which is now only 30-40 mins with windows 7 on most decent hardware :cool:

most of my games that aren't on steam need some registry entry for the cdkey and all ... it's a pain in the ass to retrieve those entries, export and import them again, maybe you have some tricks I don't know about ... but I aknowledge the fact that more and more games are "portable" and they should all be like that (everything is already on my other partitions, I never install or put anythigng on C if I can (all microsoft's product like office, visual studio and such force us to though))

Back