Windows 7 W7 Startup: Wireless takes several minutes to automatically connect

MetaclassKun

So I still have Windows 7 Ultimate Beta and going to buy Professional soon. But something weird is going on.

I have Thunderbird which checks all my email addresses at startup but it says "cannot connect" so i started to check out my wireless.
My wireless says it has "limited access" to my network, says it is "not connected" and when I check the wireless status, it would say that it isn't connected to the IPv4 and IPv6, all while being connected for "00:01:30+"

Then after several minutes, it would just start identifying and connect to the network/internet real fast out of nowhere.
My wireless is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection

I do not know why this problem has started or how to fix it. Please help.

Thank you.

Also, I have a VMware to run Ubuntu which bridges the internet to go online, if this helps. (I cannot uninstall since it took me 4 weeks to get it running)

Last edited:
Hello, and firstly, welcome to the Windows 7 Forums! :)
How far away from the router is your computer? I find Windows 7 has more trouble connecting to networks with lower signal strength, for some reason.

Hello, and firstly, welcome to the Windows 7 Forums! :)
How far away from the router is your computer? I find Windows 7 has more trouble connecting to networks with lower signal strength, for some reason.

Thank you for the welcome! ^_^

It doesn't matter where the laptop is throughout the house or if I go and connect to my university's or my friend's network. It only occurs when the computer starts up. After the problem resolves itself few minutes after being on the desktop, it connects very quickly and the problem does not occur until I shutdown and start up the computer again.

I checked the Event Viewer and the only things that happen is:
Error 1/19/2010 6:10:52 PM Dhcp-Client 1001 Address Configuration State Event
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x001E6816E08A. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error 1/19/2010 6:06:59 PM vmauthd 100 None
Cannot connect to VMX: C:\Program Files\Virtual Machines\Virtual Machine_1\Virtual Machine.vmx

Warning 1/19/2010 6:06:11 PM Wininit 11 None
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Error 1/19/2010 6:06:09 PM PrintService 315 Sharing a printer
The print spooler failed to share printer HP Officejet 5600 series with shared resource name HP Officejet 5600 series. Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.

Anything else you need?

No, though here it seems like a driver issue,
Have you checked to make sure you have the latest ones yet?

I doubt it is a driver issue as it came out of nowhere after working for weeks. However, I am currently checking if there is a driver update for the network connections. What else do you suggest?

Sorry, didn't see that it had just started..

Post back if you find a newer driver,
Also, this may seem like something a a lazy ISP would tell you.. But have you tried powercycling your router?

Sorry, didn't see that it had just started..

Post back if you find a newer driver,
Also, this may seem like something a a lazy ISP would tell you.. But have you tried powercycling your router?

I have updated the only one that needed a driver, the MAC Bridge Miniport, but that has not solved the problem.

I do not think it is a lazy ISP for everyone other wireless computer and laptop on my home network can connect automatically once start up happens; remember the same problem occurs regardless of the wireless network. I shall attempt to do it.

OK.
Also, are they other computers in your home running Windows 7?

I powercycled my Modem AND my router with the same problem. Also, I have no other computer that runs Windows 7.

I have had no problem with my Windows 7 until 2 months ago and this problem occurs when the computer shuts down and starts up AND when it wakes up from sleep mode and Hibernation.

Last edited:
LEt's try changing your power settings Go to start>>"power">>(Power Options under "Control Panel")>>Change plan settings (under selected plan)>>Change Advanced Power Settings>>Wireless Adapter Settings. Here change both values to max performance.

LEt's try changing your power settings Go to start>>"power">>(Power Options under "Control Panel")>>Change plan settings (under selected plan)>>Change Advanced Power Settings>>Wireless Adapter Settings. Here change both values to max performance.

The Wireless Adapter settings are already on Maximum Performance.

I am starting to think that the problem may lie with the DHCP-Client since it seems to complain the most in the Admisnitrative events in the Event Viewer

Possibly, and there's lot of posts about how people have problems with their wireless cards after making the switch to windows 7.
So maybe try swapping your card before we try the router/modem. :)

Possibly, and there's lot of posts about how people have problems with their wireless cards after making the switch to windows 7.
So maybe try swapping your card before we try the router/modem. :)

It is a laptop and I was with W7 for a while before any problems.

Hello Marc and welcome to the forum.
This thread is over two years old and probably not the best spot to attach your particular problem but if you are certain that you have the "exact same problem" including the event log entries specific to DHCP, then double check your power settings as suggested earlier in this thread by Mitchell. Then check Device Manger, expand Network Adapter, select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties, select the Power Management Tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Then determine the manufacturer name, model name, model number and Revision number if available of your wireless adapter and jump on the manufacturer's website and get the latest driver for your particular adapter.
Then check with the manufacturer of your wireless router and make sure you have the latest firmware available for your specific router.
Finally try removing (uninstalling completely) your AntiVirus product. Use the programs and features applet in the control panel and then follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool from here How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR) and replace it, at least for the time being with MSE from here Link Removed due to 404 Error
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Back