Windows 7 WD My Book Essential

enigma1944

I just downloaded Excel to my laptop with no problem. I keep my external backup shutoff until I make/receive any changes then proceed to start it and update any changes. Today for some reason I have in my files a data set " bootsqm.data " . When I backup the external drive it will update everything but this file.

I did some research and it appears this is a useless item. I tried deleting it from the drive but it won't go away. Any ideas appreciated. :confused::confused: Thanks

Last edited:
Well what backup software you using? The Smartware included with My Book Essential is total crap I hope you're not using that. Their forum is full of problems from it.
Joe

Well what backup software you using? The Smartware included with My Book Essential is total crap I hope you're not using that. Their forum is full of problems from it.
Joe
Yes I use the smartware, no other choice that I know of.

I discovered each time a disk check is run this dataset is created.

I don't know why but today I repeated my drill with backup AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you continue to have problems I'd check the WD forums Western Digital Community - Western Digital Community . There is also this WD Support It's a stripped down version of Acronis True Image. I use the paid version of Acronis. It depends on what you want to back up. I've got my HD partitioned with windows and applications on one and data on the other. I image windows and a separate one for data. Restoring is quite easy. The Smartware has enough problems that I don't consider it very reliable.
Joe

Thanks

I have the 500GB model and do use their software. If I use what you recommend, what do I need to do.#-o

-It's pretty easy.. you just need to configure a new folder pair, as:

"echo" (from left to right, means it will drop everything on the folder you pick from your drive to the folder you'll create, or choose at the removable drive)

"Synchronize" (everything on the folder will be the same, on both sides, and will delete everything else) or as

"Contribute" (Will just add new stuff, won't delete anything you already have, specifically if you pick an existing folder).

it's free, pretty fast and safe. I've never had any issue. BTW it seems, synctoy also creates a hidden after the sync too, but i've deleted it, and nothing happens, so hope it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom