Windows 10 Weird folders under AppData

PaulSp

Does anyone know what those folders whose names are long sequences of hex numbers enclosed with brackets are used for? I have hundreds of them in my AppData directory and a hankering desire to remove them all! None of them appear to have any files in them.

Directly under appdata or in a subdirectory? Can you open one and post the contents?

I'm surprised you don't know what I'm talking about. Under AppData/local are hundreds of folders named similarly to this:
"{00BAC13D-0F69-4EDA-B23D-CB883CE38BBF}". And that's just it, each folder is apparently empty.

Last edited:
This is mine
1571508303149.png

And no folders like that.

Attached is the beginning of mine. You have to scroll through pages of these to get to readable folders like yours.
weird.png

I just checked my laptop which is running Win10 Pro and these folders are not present there. The only differences between the two that come to mind:

1 - My desktop is running Win10 Home
and
2 - I am not using Norton Security on my laptop. I decided to go with the built-in Windows security, instead, when I upgraded back in July.

Could these be Norton folders? Used for what? Anybody out there using Norton Security that could check their systems?

Yeah that's not normal. You could run procmon to see what is creating them. You're right I don't know what you're referring to because that isn't normal Windows behavior

Something like that could be normal if they were created in a temp directory but not into the root of an appdata directory (local,locallow, and roaming)

Back