Windows 10 Weird issue in Creators Updae

brkkab

Excellent Member
I've come across a weird issue in Windows 10 Pro x64 1703. In C:\Users\ Windows 10 repeatedly shows 2 weirdly named User folders. I look in Control Panel>User Accounts and as expected I'm the only user.
I delete these 2 bogus folders numerous times a day and they contantly re-appear.
Biitdefender Total Security 2017 & Windows Defender's on-demand full scans have found no threats.
Users..PNG

That would be why you have weirdly name folders and users. They're ransomware honey pots. If you open them you'll see common file extensions that get encrypted, you'll also see other similar types of directories through out your file system.

I have had the same issue and Cybereason told me it is part of their RansomFree function.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Good post, guys! :up: Thanks for bringing that up brkkab.:thumbs_up: I don't have that on any of my primary W10 machines as one has Norton and the other has EMSIsoft. But I am using RansomFree on all my Customer repairs, to supplement either Avast, Norton, or EMSIsoft. That is useful information to have.

Thanks too for the solution, Neem! :thumbs_up:

I'll post back and verify once my Test Machine finishes updating W10; it's been busy with another project.

Cheers!:cheerful:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yeah, I decided when I hears about it last week to give it a try.
I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2017, which has ransomeware protection built in.
Both work together with no issues, just like I have Windows Defender setup to do secondary scans.
Heard the Wannacry guys are coming after 10 in June, so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
I have enough to worry about right now anyway.
As of Thursday afternoon I'll be able to start using my left leg to walk with again, after my complex left anklefracture & dislocation, so my times gonna be going towards learning to re-walk and re-use my leg again.
Then I have 2 immediate pc upgrades I haven't been able to do and 2 more I'm in the process of getting.
Hopefully, I can do the first two this Sunday or early next week.
It's just a matter of when I can lift my pc and my leg not giving out.
My case is on the heavy side, probably 45 lbs. with everything in it.
Upgrade #1. Pull out my Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 and put in my EK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1.
Upgrade #2. Remove my front 200mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro red led fan (screw holes don't line up to my case) and install a 200mm. Cooler Master Mega Flow red led fan that does line up with case's screw holes.
Future upgrades:
#3.Samsung 850 EVO 1TB sata ssd (already have).
#4. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd (August).
In August my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB m.2 ssd and Intel 530 Series 480GB sata ssd's will be removed and replace with the 2 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB ssd's..

Back