Windows 10 Welcome to the Windows 10 Technical Preview Discussion

What is the purpose of that window?

I don't work for Microsoft but as far as I know, the 'switch beteen windows' tool built into windows 8, 8.1 and 10 lives on that screen.
WP_20150219_18_26_22_Smart.jpg

WP_20150219_18_31_37_Smart.jpg

WP_20150219_18_39_01_Smart.jpg

p.s. sorry for the poor sreenshots but this tool lives above the screenshot tool and can't be imaged from within windows.

Curiosity may kill the cat, but, I have to ask. What is the "hidden window" to which you two refer? Got me beat!

There is an extra screen placed over the desktop that can be seen in code views but does not allow most types of data. Perhaps if you think of it as a clear glass cover over your desktop… of course, in this case your fingers/ (mouse) pass through it to touch/ (interact with) the desktop so the example doesn’t really work exactly.
extra screen.jpg

Not to clear. Maybe in the Enterprise edition, for which I have no use? The "tool" is certainly not in the pro.

ussnorway.
Ref my previous post. You stated that the tool was built in to windows. How do you have it on your drop down start menu? Enterprise or..?

Ref my previous post. You stated that the tool was built in to windows. How do you have it on your drop down start menu? Enterprise or..?

The "switch between windows" tool?

Screenshot (328).png

I rebuilt my programs folders to show it... and yes Microsoft hides it by default.

1. I used the roaming profile to recreate my programs list;
Screenshot (330).png

2. In windows 8*you can press [windows key] + [.] to split your desktop as long as your g-card is up to the task your screen will split into two... * the short cut is different for 8.1.1
Screenshot (329).png

3. FYI you can't target this tool with normal scripts and pressing the 'switch between windows' tool when you don't have your screen already split will do nothing.

p.s. my 8 system is the basic vanilia copy.
Screenshot (331).png

Thank you, ussnorway. So it is the snap/split screen facility. I have been thinking all along that you were referring to a secret hidden function.

Is that the only thing that you know of that resides on that layer?

As far as I know that is all that should be on that screen and it (i.e snap screen) works because it sits above the normal desktop, however I believe some of the pop up banners in the current 10 beta are incorrectly placed on this screen, as well. Again, I don’t work for Microsoft but I assume the placement of these banners here is a mistake because otherwise they are morons because as a design decision, placing them above the desktop means you can’t use [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] to end the task.

Thank you, ussnorway. So it is the snap/split screen facility. I have been thinking all along that you were referring to a secret hidden function.

Yes my bad, I didn't make that clear... sorry mate.

I'm lost again!
What banners and tasks is it that cannot be closed? What "x" is missing from Apps.I believe you are possibly referring to the close function id Windows 8/8.1, not Windows 10 builds.??

xmarksthe spot.PNG

Last edited:
"those apps are gathering information the entire time"

Ok. But when you agreed to have a look at Windows 10, you agreed to this, visible for all to read:

"When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage. For example, when you:install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together),when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of autocomplete and spellcheck)."

If you are really unhappy with allowing that, then best leave the evaluation to others.

Sorry, didn't like that menu.

Went back to Windoze 8.1. But still not happy.

Will buy 10, if it looks good.

Sorry. I presumed, as you were in a windows 10 forum. and offering opinions, your were using it!

And I am only able to get the split screen when in Start Page, When I use the shortcut keys in desktop mode my screen "shrinks" about 5% but does nothing.

Have you got 8.1.1? in that system the short cut keys are [windows key] + [.] + {[left arrow] or [right arrow] and [up arrow] or [down arrow]}… typically you would code them but if you have nibble hands or a touch screen (swipe down from the top edge then slide left or right) it's doable. Also in 8 you only have two screens side by side (1 split) but in 8.1.1 you can have more splits (I believe it is 4 max if your g-card can handle the load).

The single banner I have encountered (and reported) on the top screen with the 10 beta is this one.

Windows 10 Tech Preview

The fake desktop doesn't stop games from running full screen and (admittedly only simple short cuts/ exe so far) I have your software running on my windows 8 nicely. I don't agree with your views about the screens hidden agenda… of course Microsoft is spying but that’s hardly new (or news)… their skydrive and keylogging trackers are much better tools for this.

I have two pals in Warsaw that love sending encrypted data packets to computers in Hawaii because they know the yanks will get overtime that night… yes, I know that’s childish and I tell them so.

I am an aspie, I see things far differently than 'you", than most folks

I'm ASD too and that to be fair to the majority of NTs on the forum is a little insulting. It's true we see the world differently but we still need to atleast try not to alienate them with coments like WE think differently. Not even your average NT thinks a like or can agree on most things. .

When you sell apps or in-app purchases through the Windows Store, we assess a Windows Store fee. In most cases, this fee is 30%

Having a licence is free, selling your software to people outside the store is also not a problem... it's only when your customers buy your software from the Microsoft store that you pay a % and to be blunt, a LOT of people/ company/ schools will only allow software from the Microsoft store onto their networks because Microsoft keeps an good eye on it.

That I can show 7 is the better choice for end users

7 isn't fit to wipe 8's backside when it comes to business networking, large ram or small system senarios... I'm ok with you liking it more for your home pc because that's a personal thing & more power to you!

Gotta love the passion but I still feel whether you prove something or not that it's 'your' viewpoint.. To be honest though my intention is not to stop or sway you or this thread. I just wanted to point out that we all have viewpoints.

why desktop does work like browser can scroll up and down? so the desktop size does not litmit by the screen size...

why desktop does work like browser can scroll up and down? so the desktop size does not litmit by the screen size...
if you remote into the desktop from a different machine then you may need a scroll-bar to see it.

Back