Windows 7 Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums

Re: Windows 7

Just RC.

Apparently there will be only one release candidate although as you know, the situation could always change...

Got this download quite easy. It was on the boards yesterday before the U.S. got out of bed. I did a clean install on my spare rig as per advise but had a slight hiccup with my security suite (never had this with the previous builds) although they were upgrades. So far so good. Anyone else got any comments.???????

Same as you really.. I got mine early before the U.S. woke up..:D

Where do i post BSOD crash info?

I have been trying to find a place to post a BSOD crash report. It is repeatable and i have files saved during the crash.

I have been trying to find a place to post a BSOD crash report. It is repeatable and i have files saved during the crash.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums... :)

You can post those reports along with your question(s) in the "Windows 7 Support" Section of the forum.. :)

Product key numbers?

Hello:
I have Window 7 Beta 7000 and both 7100 32 bit and 64 bit. Within them are what I believe are Product Key code numbers each version has similar numbers with slight differant numbers.
Under the fellowing is [cmi] below a few lines it starts with
[cmi]
namespace=urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend
UseVistaRtmKeys=true
USEWS08KEYS=true
ClientServerSplit=true
AnswerFileFormat=1
ServerEnterpriseVCore= 25 numbers and letters...
HomeBasicN=
ServerHomeStandard=
ServerStorageEnterprise=
ServerEnterpriseV=
ServerDatacenterVCore=
ServerWinSBV=
ServerStorageStandard=
ServerStorageExpressCore=

This goes down some 75 lines of similar items.
Just wondering what they are suppose to do

Secretary-Afterlife2.org

OK Im new to this forum so can someone fill me in to this, I am investigating Windows 7 in depth, and I want to know some of the details. All I have heard is that it will have the stability of XP but the eye candy of Vista is that correct? or was my informant wrong.

OK Im new to this forum so can someone fill me in to this, I am investigating Windows 7 in depth, and I want to know some of the details. All I have heard is that it will have the stability of XP but the eye candy of Vista is that correct? or was my informant wrong.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

So your looking for the down low on Windows 7.. Well I can fill you in with what I think about it but that's not to say I'm 100% right.. ;) As it's solely my opinion..

As far as the GUI goes.. yes it does share alot of similarities with Vista in that regard.. however, I still say it's cleaner, crisper, more polished and all around better than Vista's and XP's.. I also find it a little easier to navigate than Vista was..

Stability? That one's a no brainer once you've used Win 7 for 30 mins or so.. ;) I say it's definitely as stable as Windows XP.. but to add to that I honestly find it a bit more stable than XP even.. It is definitely more stable than Vista.. no competition there.. But like I said, I really think Win 7 is more stable than Windows XP.. This becomes much more apparent after you use Windows 7 for a while then go back and use Win XP.. I hate to say it but Windows XP is becoming legacy VERY quickly now that Win 7 has seen the light of day..

Speed? Well, in my opinion this is much like the stability.. Windows XP was/is very fast indeed.. Windows Vista isn't all that fast when you get right down to it. You can tweak Vista enough to get it almost to the level of XP's speed but in my opinion one shouldn't have to spend an hour or so tweaking to achieve that, it should be as fast or faster than the previous version right out of the box.. And Windows 7 is IMO the fastest of the 3 hands down.. There are a few benchmarks out there already proving this but I think you'll notice this fact shortly after you start using Win 7..

Compatibility? Windows XP is no doubt the most compatible Windows OS out there.. But that's what happens when an OS has 10 years in the mainstream light to mature.. Vista is crap in this department in my opinion.. yes it has come along way from when it was released just 3 years ago but it's still not nearly as compatible as it should be.. Windows 7 is already extremely compatible and it's still in RC stages! I've installed Windows 7 on several different pc's so far (5 of which are my home pc's) and I've yet to run into a major compatibility problem.. I realize the same may not be true for enterprise and small business at this point but that will come most likely by the RTM and Retail.. Developers need to start pumping out drivers now to help remedy that... (Kudos to AMD and nVidia for getting Windows 7 drivers out as quickly as they did. And for not hurting the quality of the drivers in the process)

Functionality? Again, XP is most likely the most functional Windows OS out there for obvious reasons.. But I do have to say after having used Win 7 for a few months now, I'm actually having a hard time when I go back to Windows XP.. That's how functional Win 7 is in my opinion.. Vista.. well I unfortunately can't say the same for Vista.. Though it is very useable I still don't feel it's as functional, even now, as it should/could be.. Windows 7 is already extremely functional and I can only see it getting better from this point on..

That's a brief outline of my thoughts on Windows 7 at this point.. Now after having said all that I'm not saying that you might not run into a problem that will prevent you from using Win 7 until the Retail goes live.. it's certainly possible, as it is with ANY BETA/RC OS.. but with Win 7 the chances of that happening are far less then say with Windows Vista when it was at this stage of it's development.. I (with many others) find Windows 7 to be so far one of the best (if not THE BEST) Windows OS Microsoft has released to date.. I can only see it getting nothing but better from this point to when the Retail version goes live..

Hopefully this has given you the answers your looking for.. Please don't get discouraged by reading some of the negative comments about Win 7 posted on this forum as alot of those are a result of the lack of Win 7 drivers out at this point.. They will come, it just takes some time.. Like it does when any new OS is being introduced...

Keep in mind this is purely my opinion.. though most of it is factual, it's still my view on Windows 7 so if you don't agree with it that's fine.. I'm not saying you have to, I'm just trying to answer you the best I can.. :)

Windows 7 RC Candidate Build 7100 Installation

Hi
Iam new to this forum but I have been running Win 7 Beta 7000 and now build 7048.
I downloaded RC 7100 and burnt it to a DVD with Imageburn and attempted to install as a new
install on a 2nd PC. The install floundered at the expanding files part (said there was file corruption),
so I downloaded the RC again and burnt a new disc at the minimum spped (4x) of my DVD burner. I
tried to install this new one on the same PC but got as far as reboot and it froze. I then reformatted my 2nd HDD on this PC and attempted to do a new install and now this time it wants a driver for the CD/DVD unit
(which btw I don't have)which is SATA. So I thought I'll add a PATA DVD Drive and try from that but still no joy, still wants a CD/DVD driver installed before the installation will procede. Has anyone had this fault and if
so arrived at a solution. The Motherboard driver disc is no help as Win 7 ignores the drivers on it even though there are Vista drivers for the AMD 780G/700 chipset on it. As ABIT is no more I am not sure what can be done and as I am a pensioner I would find it too expensive to change the motherboard so any help greatly appreciated.
Stransky
(Douglas Barr)

Hi
Iam new to this forum but I have been running Win 7 Beta 7000 and now build 7048.
I downloaded RC 7100 and burnt it to a DVD with Imageburn and attempted to install as a new
install on a 2nd PC. The install floundered at the expanding files part (said there was file corruption),
so I downloaded the RC again and burnt a new disc at the minimum spped (4x) of my DVD burner. I
tried to install this new one on the same PC but got as far as reboot and it froze. I then reformatted my 2nd HDD on this PC and attempted to do a new install and now this time it wants a driver for the CD/DVD unit
(which btw I don't have)which is SATA. So I thought I'll add a PATA DVD Drive and try from that but still no joy, still wants a CD/DVD driver installed before the installation will procede. Has anyone had this fault and if
so arrived at a solution. The Motherboard driver disc is no help as Win 7 ignores the drivers on it even though there are Vista drivers for the AMD 780G/700 chipset on it. As ABIT is no more I am not sure what can be done and as I am a pensioner I would find it too expensive to change the motherboard so any help greatly appreciated.
Stransky
(Douglas Barr)

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Have you tried installing from a USB Drive as an alternative to the DVD? (Assuming your Motherboard supports booting from USB).. ;) It's simple to setup and takes about half the time it does to install from a disc.. :) Here's a link with a very well done guide on how to setup a USB Drive for this.. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/2001-how-install-windows-7-usb-drive.html

HI
Thanks for the quick reply.
My problem is exaberated in that I am running Win XP Pro 64Bit and I am unable to follow the tutorial
for the USB Pen drive install as it needs WIn7 or VIsta to create the bootable USB.
Is there any other method that I can use to install this OS.

Stransky

Hi... i registered a few nights ago, forgot to pop in and intro myself.
Running Windows 7 RC 7100 64 bit, no problems with it so far, i like it so much i think i will actually purchase a legit copy when its released :)

Name is Tere, nuff said...

Long ways to go

I have a problem with downloading anything even when it is free. I was given 3 disks of Windows 7 the 7000, the 7100 32 bit and the 64 bit. Then I tried to make copies of the both by using Windows 7 copy program and another commerial program. Then I tried to load it on a clean hard drive and the results were that the copy disk was not seen. Also the amount of bytes that were transfer were smaller then the disk I copy from. In megabytes differant. There are problems with this new Win 7 that could be because they are a Beta or it is meant to not for a person to make copies of that program.
I have very little iterest in making ATT rich by downloading from anywhere, I would even pay Microsoft cold cash to buy a copy of 7100, 7200, 7300 or what ever long before Windows 7 orginal hits the market. So far I can not put IE8 into Win 7 because on how it is created.

Also looking into the program I wonder what the program contains. Like opening the Win 7 up and looking under "source" then "products" brings up a couple pages of key code numbers I wonder what they are for. Surely not for Windows 7 or are they just taking up space.

Thank you

Secretary

I've just spent a couple of frustrating days trying to find out a solution to a problem I created.

I had upgraded to win 7 64bit and everything was going 'swimmingly' when I suddenly got a message saying 'this copy of windows isn't genuine'! I thought What! But I downloaded it from MS themselves?? I looked on the activation page and anything to do with activation had disappeared along with the system restore facility...
At first I just couldn't fathom what had gone wrong until I realised after much trial and error that I had caused this to happen. I'd used a Registry defragger which defrags the registry by replacing certain reg files (or something like that) anyhow it works fine under 32bit but under 64bit it created the problems I've already described.
I guess I'll put that one down to experience......

Back