Windows 7 What external hard drive

alexam

Hi,

just joined to ask a few questions and gain some knowledge for the experts. I am about to switch my existing hardware for a new Dell 545 with Windows 7 Professional and M.Office 2007 Home & Student as I mainly use word - Excell and Powerpoint. I have a Dell Laptop with Windows 2003 XP Professional, hence the W7 Pro.

I have read that there have been problems with some external hard drives and W7, so can someone please suggest a good external HD of 500Gb minimum that would be compatible well with W7 - possibly 'My Book' or others?

Thanks - other questions will undoubtedly follow......

Alexam

Hi,

I have been using win 7 since the beta days on both an ASUS laptop & Dell XPS420 and have had no problems with external hard drives.

I use 3 diffferent ones, an ASUS USB/ESATA, a generic USB enclosure that takes both SATA and IDE drives, and a My BooK with USB/Firewire? ESATA interface.

This is with Win 7 32 bit. I am in the process of installing Win 7 x64 in the Dell but don't expect any trouble with any of the drives.

I hope that this helps.

DanaW

Hi,

I have been using win 7 since the beta days on both an ASUS laptop & Dell XPS420 and have had no problems with external hard drives.

I use 3 diffferent ones, an ASUS USB/ESATA, a generic USB enclosure that takes both SATA and IDE drives, and a My BooK with USB/Firewire? ESATA interface.

This is with Win 7 32 bit. I am in the process of installing Win 7 x64 in the Dell but don't expect any trouble with any of the drives.

I hope that this helps.

DanaW

Thanks for the info. Did you add Firewall to the My Book?

Malcolm

Do you mean firewire or firewall?

The My Book came with firewire interface, the model is mainlt for Macs but since the ESATA on my Dell doesn't work I prefere firewire to USB as it is faster for straight data trandfer.

DanaW

Thanks for that. I am considering the 'My Book' and looking at others but need to get one by the time my new PC arrives in about a week's time.

Malcolm

I would avoid external drives that use hardware encryption. All of the drives from WD that come with Smartware are hardware encrypted. If the circuit board goes bad it is extremely difficult to recover data.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom