Windows 10 What on Earth has happened

Gadzooks

I've used Mozilla Thunderbird for several years, but this morning a trusted link took me to Microsoft Live Mail, which I used to send a small message.
Now all the mail in my Thunderbird Inbox has disappeared.
Any ideas most gratefully received.

This morning my Thunderbird inbox had 3 read messages, the oldest four days old. Out of curiosity I opened Live Mail, then closed it. Guess what? when I returned to thunderbird all inbox messages were gone. If anyone has a clue as to why this is happening I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks, I have tried recovering the folder, but to no avail. Thunderbird is putting mails into my inbox when I open it, but no sign of the 80 or so mails which disappeared. (I will not be opening Win Live Mail again!!)

In Thunderbird you have specified a mail account, go with Edge, Chrome,... to the site of the mail provider, login with your account and open webmail. Are the messages your are missing still avaible there?

Last edited:
In Thunderbird you have specified an mail account, go with Edge, Chrome,... to the site of the mail provider, login with your account and open webmail. Are the messages your are missing still avaible there?
My mail address is "[email protected]." When I access my mail account with them, through my browser, all mail that has been downloaded to Thunderbird is erased.
So there seems no way to pick up old mail through my BTinternet account. I've tried to recover them from my Thunderbird profile with no success.
Thank you for your suggestion, appreciated.

Open live mail in your webbroser, check again there, look in the wastebasket, and try a search, a search may find even deleted messages. Any luck this time?

Open live mail in your webbroser, check again there, look in the wastebasket, and try a search, a search may find even deleted messages. Any luck this time?
The last twice I have opened Live Mail it has emptied, without trace, my Thunderbird inbox. As I now have quite a few mails in that folder I don't want them disappearing again.
Thanks very much for taking an interest and for the advice, but I'm now thinking I will have to live with the situation and just stay away from Live Mail.

Yes, what on earth can possibly cause that webmail,
- using Edge open https://oulook.com
> login using your livemail accountname
> open webmail
which is supposed to do every thing on-line and nothing on your local computer, empties a local Thunderbird folder???
I have to think this over....
Or did I misundestand you?

Last edited:
No misunderstanding, opened Live Mail on two occasions and on returning to Thunderbird nothing left in it's inbox!!!
I also find it strange that at the same time my ISP inbox was emptied.
Live Mail is now a no go area for me.

Have you entered in your live mail account also the the account details of your regular ISP?

I remove Mozilla Thunderbird because I see some weird behavior using the tool. Finally, I don't know how my email got hacked and sending a lot of adult CPA email and I was getting thousands of "mail sending failed" notification in every minutes. Uf! that was hilarious.

Hi all, I'm going to give up on this problem.
This morning checked my Thunderbird inbox, 15 or so mails, I then signed on to my BT account (my ISP) and checked my inbox, same mails there.
I then opened Live Mail, and see my mail from way back is in the inbox plus, my latest mail.
Re-opened Thunderbird, inbox showed my mails for a fraction of a second before they all disappeared, and, on re-checking my inbox with my ISP find all my inbox mail has disappeared.
Live Mail is now history, many thanks to all who replied.

Hi all, I'm going to give up on this problem.
This morning checked my Thunderbird inbox, 15 or so mails, I then signed on to my BT account (my ISP) and checked my inbox, same mails there.
I then opened Live Mail, and see my mail from way back is in the inbox plus, my latest mail.
Re-opened Thunderbird, inbox showed my mails for a fraction of a second before they all disappeared, and, on re-checking my inbox with my ISP find all my inbox mail has disappeared.
Live Mail is now history, many thanks to all who replied.
If I read and understand this, your disapeared mail showed up in your live mail, with other words live mail synchronizes with your local email client.

How did you open live mail?
- Go with your webbroser to Outlook – free personal email and calendar from Microsoft, then login into live mail?
- Or have you entered your live mail account in Thunderbird and open it by clicking in Thunderbird on your live mail inbox?

If you see all mail in live mail, you are almost forced to use it as your default client, and as I understand it well you don't want it.

If I read and understand this, your disapeared mail showed up in your live mail, with other words live mail synchronizes with your local email client.

How did you open live mail?
- Go with your webbroser to Outlook – free personal email and calendar from Microsoft, then login into live mail?
- Or have you entered your live mail account in Thunderbird and open it by clicking in Thunderbird on your live mail inbox?

If you see all mail in live mail, you are almost forced to use it as your default client, and as I understand it well you don't want it.
Live Mail has always been opened through my web browser.
I think you have just confirmed what I was beginning to suspect, that it seems I am being forced to use Live Mail as default.
This I do not want, so I will make sure that Live Mail will never be used again.
Many thanks for your help and advice.

I use Thunderbird, but don't claim to be too knowledgeable about it. But have you looked in TBird's message store (on your system). You can open your inbox file w/Notepad. If your old messages are in the data file, then it's a matter of figuring out why TBird can't read it. Just a thought.

I have opened the inbox in C/users/appdata, (can't remember the rest of the path), but there is a fairly large file there which when opened in word pad shows an enormous amount of random letters and numbers. One or two lines out of thousands do have readable mail senders names.
Using Thunderbirds repair folder does not work.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbox hoping that the "new" Programme would re-populate the inbox with this stored data, as it is separate from the programme files, however no luck, the inbox just remained empty after install.
Thunderbird is running quite happily at the moment (as long as I keep well away from Live Mail)

You should have a file called INBOX(w/out an extension) under there somewhere. Mine's under my imapmail folder and is fairly larger than any other file in that folder. I prefer to open w/Notepad. You should start to see message headers and such. I only mention this if you've lost messages and want to recover them, they may very well still be there.

Anyway, I'm not an expert by any means, but willing to help out if you want to recover old messages.
Cheers

You should have a file called INBOX(w/out an extension) under there somewhere. Mine's under my imapmail folder and is fairly larger than any other file in that folder. I prefer to open w/Notepad. You should start to see message headers and such. I only mention this if you've lost messages and want to recover them, they may very well still be there.

Anyway, I'm not an expert by any means, but willing to help out if you want to recover old messages.
Cheers
Thanks for that, the inbox file in my imapmail folder is over 5Mb in size and when opened in Notepad does show message headers, but there seems no way I can persuade Thunderbird to recover them.

Back