Windows 7 What wireless card are you using on win7 64bit, whats your results.

Okay, it's definitely Windows 7 and/or the WMP54G's driver that is the culprit of my problem (not the router). I put the MSI card back in my wife's system and took the Linksys card out and put it back in mine. At first she still had the ping spike issue with the MSI card back in her system. I tried a couple of things to get the system back to the way it was, but nothing would get rid of that ping spike even though her old card was back in her system. So I restored the PC back to a point right before I added the Linksys card to the system. Ping spike is gone! So there is definitely an issue with Windows and the Linksys WMP54G v4.1, whether it's Windows itself or the driver corrupting part of Windows or Windows just not liking the driver in the first place.

Thankfully, there was a restore point for me to revert my wife's PC back to. I ordered a second MSI card and I am going to use Clonezilla to clone her Windows 7 partition and install it on my system. We have exactly the same hardware with exception of the wireless cards (which will be also exactly the same in a few days ;) ).

I have a feeling there are different revisions of version 4.1 of this card, because some folks have been able to get rid of the ping spike with this version. No such luck for me. And believe me, I've tried everything I've come across on many different forums. The card was fine with Windows XP, but anything newer than XP 32-bit may have issues with this card for folks using it. :/

I have a Belkin N1 PCI card and can't get it to work properly. It does find all neighbouring networks, but gives me limited connectivity issues when I try to reach my router. The connection was working fine under XP SP2. I'm now connected using an old Netgear WG111T USB adapter, which leads me to believe that the issue is not necessarily with the router but rather with w7.

Specs:

Athlon 64 3800+ CPU
ASRock Dual 939 motherboard
Router: Orange Livebox (Inventel) - ISP: Orange UK

Belkin Wireless G

I have a USB wireless adapter which works perfectly with windows 7 . Get updated drivers from Belkin . Dont use the cd as the drivers are rather oldish :)

Given the CD driver version I thought those were up to date but you were right, the latest beta driver from the Belkin website does work. Thanks. :)

Given the CD driver version I thought those were up to date but you were right, the latest beta driver from the Belkin website does work. Thanks. :)

TY :) Have a great stay on this forum :D

Some folks wait a long time for answers to relieve there deep seated problem :Link Removed due to 404 Error

well, at least I can take some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one that's having issues. Oh jeez, where to begin....

I guess I'll start with the Edimax EW-7128G which uses the Ralink RT61 chipset. This was the beginning of my issues. When I first loaded the windows 7 beta on here, it kept hard crashing on me. slowly I started to pinpoint what was wrong and found out that it was the card/drivers that was the culprit. Getting frustrated with it hard crashing for the 100th time, I decide to look for a new solution. First it was making a wireless bridge. Worked wonders for a while, until it kept dropping the connection. Thinking the DD-WRT router made bridge was the culprit, I decide to flash a newer firmware on it, which proceeded to brick said router. After that I began my journey of finding a suitable wireless card for this thing. This is what I found, all with varying degrees of failure.

Dynex DX-BGDTC: tried loading the drivers. Device manager sees it as unrecognized. yay
netgear WG311v3: same thing, only device failed to start.

Encore ENLWI-G2 using the realtekRTL8185 chipset: it "works," and by "works" I mean it can connect to my router, but when it tries to make a connection to a website, it has trouble. it'll download fine once it makes that connection though.

I have yet to see any card that manages to work "well" on windows 7 64-bit and it's starting to piss me off. ;/

if anyone wants to offer some insight on getting either the edimax(Ralink) or the Encore(Realtek) working properly, then by all means go for it.

well, at least I can take some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one that's having issues. Oh jeez, where to begin....

I guess I'll start with the Edimax EW-7128G which uses the Ralink RT61 chipset. This was the beginning of my issues. When I first loaded the windows 7 beta on here, it kept hard crashing on me. slowly I started to pinpoint what was wrong and found out that it was the card/drivers that was the culprit. Getting frustrated with it hard crashing for the 100th time, I decide to look for a new solution. First it was making a wireless bridge. Worked wonders for a while, until it kept dropping the connection. Thinking the DD-WRT router made bridge was the culprit, I decide to flash a newer firmware on it, which proceeded to brick said router. After that I began my journey of finding a suitable wireless card for this thing. This is what I found, all with varying degrees of failure.

Dynex DX-BGDTC: tried loading the drivers. Device manager sees it as unrecognized. yay
netgear WG311v3: same thing, only device failed to start.

Encore ENLWI-G2 using the realtekRTL8185 chipset: it "works," and by "works" I mean it can connect to my router, but when it tries to make a connection to a website, it has trouble. it'll download fine once it makes that connection though.

I have yet to see any card that manages to work "well" on windows 7 64-bit and it's starting to piss me off. ;/

if anyone wants to offer some insight on getting either the edimax(Ralink) or the Encore(Realtek) working properly, then by all means go for it.

The convenience of wireless in having a communication system to exchange Data, Sound, Video files back and forth our computer and remote ISP server and the Internet from our residence, place of work, hotels , airports etc has a price in performance that is even at the current state of WiFi technology with the so called Wireless N is not what we expect or want. To make things a little more clear one can consider the performance of another Wireless device much more commonly used by people all over the world i.e. cellular telephones or mobiles and the often seen TV commercials by rival Phone companies showing two people on the phone with one saying "can you hear me now"? You can have the best cell phone money can buy but depending upon your Phone company and your location at the time of its use, you can get frustrating performance variation. Not only physical barriers but "electronic noise" from similar devices in the proximity or neighborhood broadcasting using closer wave length as your Computer can result in the same situation if you are making a phone call or television reporting from a huge crowd in a political rally. Look around where you have this Computer and start counting the cordless phones , Wireless Keyboards , wireless mice etc all of which produce an electronic cacophony that can have a mutually canceling effect. To add to the complexity is the lack of proper drivers for the devices we install to communicate with the latest half baked Operating system. Although the broadcast and reception of WiFi from our PC to the Broadband Internet Service Provider and back or between our networked computers at home or work seems like only our Wireless Adapter is involved, in actuality a series of WiFi devices are making an invisible chain and the performance of Upload and Download we measure is the sum total of Performance efficiency and degradation from each individual component and its environment. If you can see 10 Available Wireless Networks to choose from including your own while you are sitting in front of your computer with an Encore 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter ENLWI-G2 wireless card and a different Brand Wireless Router>Broadband Modem using your Wireless KBD and Wireless Mouse and wearing your Wireless headset trying to download a Movie or music from your Broadband ISP who has no Competition and you are in the neighborhood of a big TV Station with its Tower or a University Medical Center Complex, if you are still maintaining your cool you are in the company of Great Saints :Dand I salute you. To sort out problems with all these variables need patience and a keen interest to look into details. If you have zillion other things to take care of and your WiFi network acts up expletives might escape from your mouth despite all attempts to restrain :)

Last edited:
The convenience of wireless in having a communication system to exchange Data, Sound, Video files back and forth our computer and remote ISP server and the Internet from our residence, place of work, hotels , airports etc has a price in performance that is even at the current state of WiFi technology with the so called Wireless N is not what we expect or want. To make things a little more clear one can consider the performance of another Wireless device much more commonly used by people all over the world i.e. cellular telephones or mobiles and the often seen TV commercials by rival Phone companies showing two people on the phone with one saying "can you hear me now"? You can have the best cell phone money can buy but depending upon your Phone company and your location at the time of its use, you can get frustrating performance variation. Not only physical barriers but "electronic noise" from similar devices in the proximity or neighborhood broadcasting using closer wave length as your Computer can result in the same situation if you are making a phone call or television reporting from a huge crowd in a political rally. Look around where you have this Computer and start counting the cordless phones , Wireless Keyboards , wireless mice etc all of which produce an electronic cacophony that can have a mutually canceling effect. To add to the complexity is the lack of proper drivers for the devices we install to communicate with the latest half baked Operating system. Although the broadcast and reception of WiFi from our PC to the Broadband Internet Service Provider and back or between our networked computers at home or work seems like only our Wireless Adapter is involved, in actuality a series of WiFi devices are making an invisible chain and the performance of Upload and Download we measure is the sum total of Performance efficiency and degradation from each individual component and its environment. If you can see 10 Available Wireless Networks to choose from including your own while you are sitting in front of your computer with an Encore 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter ENLWI-G2 wireless card and a different Brand Wireless Router>Broadband Modem using your Wireless KBD and Wireless Mouse and wearing your Wireless headset trying to download a Movie or music from your Broadband ISP who has no Competition and you are in the neighborhood of a big TV Station with its Tower or a University Medical Center Complex, if you are still maintaining your cool you are in the company of Great Saints :Dand I salute you. To sort out problems with all these variables need patience and a keen interest to look into details. If you have zillion other things to take care of and your WiFi network acts up expletives might escape from your mouth despite all attempts to restrain :)

what in the fu--

some driver or settings suggestions would be nice >.>

Last edited:
:cool:
what in the fu--

some driver or settings suggestions would be nice >.>

what in the fu--

I have Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.1b/g showing in Driver File Details in Device Manager with RTL85n64.sys in the Windows\ System32\Drivers

This device uses a Buffalo Air-StationWHR-G125 Wireless Router. There are at least 10 Wireless Networks using a mix of different Brands of Routers like 2Wire, LinkSys, Netgear , Dlink and I [I have the only Buffalo Router] in this residential neighborhood with separate houses about 20 -50 feet apart in a major Metropolitan city with both Cable and DSL broadband services in the same neighborhood. Speed test at speedtest.net shows download 5.06Mb /sec and upload 0.63Mb/sec and it varies from time to time. I have made no special settings for the adapter, router or DSL modem [Siemens SpeedStream 4100: supplied by the DSL ISP] My ISP has a 3 over 5 Star Rating for whatever it's worth. I have several Wireless devices (KBD.MICE, Cordless Phones, Cell phone , Wireless headset etc that I know is interfering with the Network speed but I need to use them for my convenience) installed in each of 4 PCs in my work area. with 2 of them using Encore USB adapters ( 80211.N ENUWI-N) and one using Encore 802.11n Wireless PCI adapter ENLWI-N ==> ralink > netr28x.sys in System32\DRIVERS. Speed test same as the less expensive Realtek 802.1b Adapter.

If I remove all the other wireless devices from my work area or move to an area with less Wireless Traffic (there is none as the Technology is on the rise)I might find faster speed. But since I have lived through years using dialup "soft modems" before going into Broadband Cable to DSL I was feeling more satisfied with the results compared to yester years. Your own experience might be different. I don't know what else to tell you. If anybody has a magic bullet in this area ( I believe soon we might see a different technology to replace this) of chaos I too will be willing to listen and learn. But till then I will try to stay :cool:

I have Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.1b/g showing in Driver File Details in Device Manager with RTL85n64.sys in the Windows\ System32\Drivers

This device uses a blah blah blah blah :cool:

you aren't really helping at all. Anyway, after getting frustrated with the Realtek, (which you did NOT specify what version drivers you were using) I decided to go back to the unstable ralink, only this time using drivers from windows update, which I managed to get from a connection from the other card. Hopefully the drivers from MS might work better since they are (I believe) more thoroughly tested. If it doesn't hard crash, I'll be happy.

I've got a Hewlett-Packard dv5-113us laptop.

It's got an Atheros chipset. I'm not sure of the specific model, but I know that it's powered by the ath9k driver on Linux. It works flawlessly on Windows 7 64-bit. In fact, it's auto-detected out of the box by Windows, no driver needed.

you aren't really helping at all. Anyway, after getting frustrated with the Realtek, (which you did NOT specify what version drivers you were using) I decided to go back to the unstable ralink, only this time using drivers from windows update, which I managed to get from a connection from the other card. Hopefully the drivers from MS might work better since they are (I believe) more thoroughly tested. If it doesn't hard crash, I'll be happy.

cmn is one of the best people you could ever hope to meet when you have a problem . We do not get paid for offering advice . To say he is not helping is way beyond the mark . You may not understand the help that is offered that is more like it .

cmn is one of the best people you could ever hope to meet when you have a problem . We do not get paid for offering advice . To say he is not helping is way beyond the mark . You may not understand the help that is offered that is more like it .

uuh, no. I asked for something rather specific, becasue I have a pretty good idea on what's wrong. All I asked for was the driver version he was using and where he got it. The closest he gave me was the driver name, which was useless information to me. Oh and believe me, I understand the "help" he was giving me. It was just pointless. Once he gives me the driver info, then AND ONLY THEN will he have helped.

uuh, no. I asked for something rather specific, becasue I have a pretty good idea on what's wrong. All I asked for was the driver version he was using and where he got it. The closest he gave me was the driver name, which was useless information to me. Oh and believe me, I understand the "help" he was giving me. It was just pointless. Once he gives me the driver info, then AND ONLY THEN will he have helped.

Well I would give you nothing cos you are rude . Thanks for giving me a idea about how you think . Have a nice day :D

Well excuse me for have a low tolerance for incompetence.

EDIT: it seems as though I did not specifically ask for driver versions earlier, so I'll take blame for that one. However his first reply was just about pointless though.

Last edited:
Zonet ZEW1602 - Using the CD drivers, which were valid with Vista 64 bit.

Using Windows 7 Build 7100, 64-bit.

Cannot get wireless networking to work. A) It complains about the drivers not being digitally signed b) Even if I sign them myself, I then get an error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" and the wireless card just simply refuses to work. Any suggestions?

Zonet ZEW1602 - Using the CD drivers, which were valid with Vista 64 bit.

Using Windows 7 Build 7100, 64-bit.

Cannot get wireless networking to work. A) It complains about the drivers not being digitally signed b) Even if I sign them myself, I then get an error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" and the wireless card just simply refuses to work. Any suggestions?

That uses the Marvell 88w8335 chipset, which happens to be the same chipset as the netgear card I tried a couple of weeks ago with the same result. Marvell's site offers no drivers for their wifi chips (that I can tell) and I don't know of any vista 64 compatible drivers that exist. You may be SOL.

That uses the Marvell 88w8335 chipset, which happens to be the same chipset as the netgear card I tried a couple of weeks ago with the same result. Marvell's site offers no drivers for their wifi chips (that I can tell) and I don't know of any vista 64 compatible drivers that exist. You may be SOL.

Thats really too bad. I am kinda starting to like Windows 7, and I dont wanna be stuck with a wired connection or forced to buy another wireless card. Maybe they will get to it soon and release some Windows 7 drivers.

How come even though the drivers I got from the Zonet website and even the CD were Vista 64 compatible but not Windows 7 compatible?

Thats really too bad. I am kinda starting to like Windows 7, and I dont wanna be stuck with a wired connection or forced to buy another wireless card. Maybe they will get to it soon and release some Windows 7 drivers.

How come even though the drivers I got from the Zonet website and even the CD were Vista 64 compatible but not Windows 7 compatible?
Belkin USB works both 32X n 64X

Get drivers off the Belking Website the ones on the cd dont work with windows 7 .

same issue here. Not only did the Vista 64 drivers work, but the Windows 7 Beta worked just fine, once i updated to the RC it stopped working. Sadly i just got this PC 2 months ago from cyberpowerpc, and this is the default card they had with the system.

Back