Windows 7 When Do Beta Keys Expire?

The actual date they will expire on is August 1st, 2009.. Hopefully by that time Windows 7 will be done and the Final release will be out or coming out shorty after that.. (But then again the final could come out before that time too.. Vista's final release was just 6 months after the beta.. ;) )

I dont expect the windows 7 release date to be before that. I would expect it to be some time in december or january.

So does that mean in the interim we won't be able to use Windows 7 or do you think they will extend the activation at a later date so it overlaps the release?

I believe their may be an extension on the Beta period to all those that are either MSDN or technet subscribers but not for the public beta. They might move up the date for the release for windows 7 but after they moved up the date for the release of windows VISTA and it failed i doubt they will make the same mistake twice.

It will not overlap, this is because of the risk of there being a hack involved in cracking the beta to work with the RTM disk.
They expire August 1st 2009, period.

With Vista

Microsoft had a Beta 1 and Beta 2. They insist that Windows 7 will not have a Beta 2 and that's why they just call it Beta.

Microsoft had a Beta 1 and Beta 2. They insist that Windows 7 will not have a Beta 2 and that's why they just call it Beta.

I believe you are correct. I wouldn't be surprised If the next version of Windows 7 is the RTM. Because so far the Beta experience has been amazing, amazing to the point that I'm using it as my main every day OS.

regards

Jordan

As much as I hoped, It most likely won't. I will have to reinstall my Vista disk for 4-6 months >.>

I really can't see that happening. There would be too much outcry and they would have to release a new patch or version to make systems work until the retail release. They aren't going to anger customers after they are already upset with Vista.

I believe you are correct. I wouldn't be surprised If the next version of Windows 7 is the RTM. Because so far the Beta experience has been amazing, amazing to the point that I'm using it as my main every day OS.

regards

Jordan

I am going to use Windows 7 on a regular basis. It seems very stable.

Depends--

I had the Release Candidate (RC2) installed on 8" October 06,and it expired on July 1" 07, so 6 months extension,if lucky enough to get one.
Time schedule will almost certainly be different this time,a lot tighter,with this Beta looking like it's hit the mark running in the quality stakes,no way in Vista.

I believe their may be an extension on the Beta period to all those that are either MSDN or technet subscribers but not for the public beta.

What happens to all the people thrilled with the Win7 beta who transfer their main OS to this - and who are not MSDN or Technet subscribers? Are you thinking MS will leave them without a working OS?

I haven't exactly done that, but I'm doing virtually everything in Win7, because it's reliable - so far, no atikmdag.sys crashes, thank GOODNESS!! - and looks good, notwithstanding the msi business! Since the beta comes with an Upgrade option, it will be a little embarrassing if they are stuck come Aug 1!

I believe a release candidate (RC1) will be out in august or sooner. And that will be the only release candidate until final. So those who are worrying about the expiring in august, don't worry, a RC will be out.... And yes i belong to MSDN....

EDIT and for the record, MS is counting on all to send in there comments and feedback on windows 7. There is some speculation that MS truly doesn't care what the general public thinks outside of MSDN or technet subscribers. This simply isnt true as our voices alone arent the only ones they are listening too. So please send in your feedback on all issues you wish to express so when iit is released is will be the best OS yet....

What happens to all the people thrilled with the Win7 beta who transfer their main OS to this - and who are not MSDN or Technet subscribers? Are you thinking MS will leave them without a working OS?
It won't be MS that is leaving them without a working OS, it will be themselves.

This is a BETA version!
!!!!!!!!

It is not meant to replace the main current working OS. It is meant for a testing platform, and nothing more.

If someone replaced their main OS with this beta (at least without a backup of what they need most), well, they are both stupid and ignorant.

There is NO way I'm going back to VISTA. I'm actually using Windows 7 as my main OS -- the minor glitches I'v found so far I can live with.

I took a full XP Image dump before installing Windows 7. If Windows 7 isn't released or extended I'll just go back to XP. (Excellent backup software Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis) get trueimage workstation ot trueimage home.

Vista on my machine was a DOG. Windows 7 (x32 on 4GB laptop) runs like greased lightning. I'm also testing X64 but some LAN connectivity issues with that version.

If Microsoft doesn't extend the product life or release the final then there will be massive complaints -- most of the users have been very positive about W7 --why on earth would microsoft make them go back to that awful Vista system. If they have a product that the public clearly wants --then it makes commercial sense to give it to them ASAP especially in these "credit Crunch" times.

Cheers

-J

Microsoft's stages of Software

1. Beta
a. Vista had Beta 1 & Beta 2. They don't plan on this for Windows 7.
2. Release Candidate
3. Release to Manufacturing

I can't remember if Vista RC was available to the public but all of these stages were available through MSDN with Keys.

Cut off date

Microsoft needs to understand thet they have distroied anyone that installed Windows 7 on a Windows XP . They all lost their Windows XP and are locked into Windows 7. What are all those people going to do for a O/S When they cut off the beta??? :eek: They need to do somthing for all those who lost their O/S just so they could test Windows 7 :mad:

Thomas :cool:

Anybody who has even the slightest tiniest piece of knowledge about computers realizes that before they DO ANYTHING - especially like a new / upgrade install of Windows should BACK IT UP - disk space is cheap these days - if you can't afford decent disk space then you shouldn't be doing any testing on a computer.

Then if and when Windows 7 Beta expires without a replacement product you can re-install your previous system from the backup.

If you don't like the very clear conditions Microsoft stated AT THE OUTSET -- THIS IS A TIME LIMITED BETA PRODUCT WHICH WILL EXPIRE ON AUG 1 2009 then you shouldn't mess around with testing this.

This topic has only really arisen because it is so much better than Windows VISTA people have been tempted to use Windows 7 as their "Everyday OS". I'm guilty of this as well but I HAVE backed my machine up so I can revert to XP without a problem. There's no way I'm going back to VISTA.

This is definitely NOT a MICROSOFT problem but of you the user doing stuff you probably don't understand fully.

There's nothing wrong in learning --we all start somewhere but pontificating over the Evil that Microsoft is doing won't get you anywhere.

Cheers

Jimbo

It won't be MS that is leaving them without a working OS, it will be themselves.

This is a BETA version!
!!!!!!!!

It is not meant to replace the main current working OS. It is meant for a testing platform, and nothing more.

If someone replaced their main OS with this beta (at least without a backup of what they need most), well, they are both stupid and ignorant.

Despite your rather unnecessary vitriol, I understand what you are getting at. However, judging from some of the posts in these forums, quite a number of people have made a pretty permanent switch. Also, if memory serves, the install process for this beta offered an Upgrade option. Some users may - in the nicest possible way - have been ignorant of the full implications of that. If there are users like that MS bears some responsibility in not leaving them in the lurch.

But enough of that. It looks like a release candidate is planned which presumably should bridge the gap from beta to RTM. No issues then!

Back
Top Bottom