Windows 7 When I show a text box, I automatically see: ////////////////////////////// or *********************

Nisko

Anytime I get to a dialog box or a text box or anything where I can type, I get a continuous/////////////////////////////// or a continuous ************************. The only way to stop it is to reboot - then it works OK for a while. Otherwise, I can't type anything anywhere. The characters also just keep replicating themselves forever until I shut down. The speed is if I were holding down those keys. I've tried Noton 360 and system file checker and SUPERAntimalware and Maywarebytes. Found no problems Please help!!!!!!!!!!

If you know roughly when this started to happen you could try system restore or press F8 whilst booting and hit 'Last good known configuration' in the advanced boot menu.

This is a no-brainer. Your keys are stuck. Maybe from some spilled coffee. Check it with another keyboard.

This is a no-brainer. Your keys are stuck. Maybe from some spilled coffee. Check it with another keyboard.

Thought of that first. Removed keys and thoroughly cleaned underneath with compressed air. Still have the same problem.

Have you or can you check the k'board with a friends machine to see if it does the same? Depending on it's age it might have just reached the end of it's working life..

Could I ask what type of keyboard this is? Wired, WiFi, or Bluetooth?

Along with checking the keyboard, have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

Does turning off Num Lock do anything?

Do you have any other input devices that might be interfering?

I can try an external USB keyboard tomorrow. I'm using a laptop. Thanks.

Could I ask what type of keyboard this is? Wired, WiFi, or Bluetooth?

It's a laptop - built-in keyboard.

Along with checking the keyboard, have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

Just tried that at your suggestion. What I did was uninstall the keyboards in Device Manager - then Searched for Hardware Changes. However, I could not uninstall what I guess is the default keyboard. Without it, how could I log in when I reboot? Also, I did not restart the laptop before checking for new hardware. the message said that to complete the uninstall, I should reboot. Is this a problem?

Does turning off Num Lock do anything?

Don't know - but I'll try it after I try the other suggestions you've given me (one thing at a time).

Do you have any other input devices that might be interfering?

I don't think so. I haven't added anything in a long time.

OK, I have an external keyboard which works fine. However, the la[top's keyboard also works. How do I disable the laptop's keyboard to see if it's the problem?

Also, I uninstalled all my keyboard devices in Device Manager - then reinstalled them. But I have no idea who provided the drivers. Perhaps one of the drivers is defective. Where should I go to get the "correct" drivers?

The manufacturer of the lappie should have a website with driver downloads. You could try googling the name of the laptop maker and see whats available. If you have trouble finding one then post back..

Back
Top Bottom