Windows 7 When MS finally release Windows7 RTM...

Kevj

....I would dearly love them to offer the OS for Home use to be licensed to 3 machines from one Disk; it would probably be the best way of encouraging the uptake to Win7, given that most people now have more than one machine in their households...

Anyone agree? :)

I agree but as Infi said.. there's not a hope in hell of it happening.. unfortunately.. ;)

Quote On.

MSFT has no reason to incorporate multiple licenses under the data of one particular disk. From my experience, they either hope that you pay to upgrade on each machine (the viable route), or they hope that you purchase new machines that have been pre- loaded with Windows 7 (Stupid Route).

Quote On.

MSFT has no reason to incorporate multiple licenses under the data of one particular disk. From my experience, they either hope that you pay to upgrade on each machine (the viable route), or they hope that you purchase new machines that have been pre- loaded with Windows 7 (Stupid Route).

Well, An IT System Admin friend of mine had a 'teleconference' with MS on the subject of Win7 the other day; when I was talking with him, he asked me if there was anything I wanted to know about Win7? I ( in a 'tongue-in-cheek' mode) said yeah, ask them 'how much they're going to charge for the Retail versions?

To be honest, I didn't seriously expect him to ask, or even get a response, but, it turned out they did give an answer of sorts!...
The reply was....

...Microsoft aren't releasing their pricing structure yet, but it'll be interesting for everyone concerned....

It was that last part that I found intriguing...."but it'll be interesting for everyone concerned" Could we be in for a surprise?

Hmmm! ;)

It's come a long way since the days of Windows 3.0 (which came on one, or was it two, 1.4Mb floppies) and was given away as a freebie with the computer I bought - you had to buy MSDOS, or DrDOS back in those days. Nowadays, you're looking at £150+ for the Ultimate version - so any surprise might well be a shock too :eek:

"MSFT has no reason to incorporate multiple licenses under the data of one particular disk. From my experience, they either hope that you pay to upgrade on each machine (the viable route), or they hope that you purchase new machines that have been pre- loaded with Windows 7 (Stupid Route). "

When one can buy a computer (minus monitor) for like $100 to $150 more than they can buy a retail copy of an OS by itself, why is it such a stupid purchase for most users to buy a system already set-up with the desired OS pre-installed? I realize that the pre-installed route brings a bunch of undesirable crapware with it, but it still isn't a bad price. You cannot buy parts to build a computer and buy the OS for close to equal money.

I realize that the pre-installed route brings a bunch of undesirable crapware with it, but it still isn't a bad price. You cannot buy parts to build a computer and buy the OS for close to equal money.

The first part is easily rectified, just wipe the new PC and reload the OS from scratch. I do this on any OEM computer anyway, as I've grown to hate most OEM images as they tend to have issues (especially ones that are out at the beginning of an OS's release). If you didn't get a dvd with the computer just make a copy of a friends or download a clean version off the torrents.

For the second part, that's not necessarily true. It depends on what kind of PC you want. If you're going for bottom of the barrel bargain PC, then yes it's true. But once you start looking at a mid to higher end system, it's much cheaper to build your own. Plus you generally get better components for less money, and the satisfaction that you've built your own system. Only thing I'd buy OEM is a laptop at this point. And even then I'd think about building my own (though laptops tend to be pricier to build yourself).

As far as 3 computers per license, that's not a good idea. I know we all want to think that M$ has an endless supply of money, but they don't. They need to make a profit like anyone else, otherwise you won't see an OS after Win 7. I generally think the pricing of their OS's is fair. They put a ton of money into the development of any OS, and to get that for a couple hundred bucks is a great deal. Besides, if you're really that worried about the price just run your RC or RTM until it expires, there will likely be a price drop by then. And I see very little reason to ever get a straight retail copy, just get an OEM copy or a upgrade and save some cash.

I agree that MS doesn't have infinite pockets. The current downturn in the economy compounded by the fact that it faces major challenges from Google, Apple, Linux, and that they can no longer deliver an OS that is secure by any strech of the imagination, tend to point to them making this the most exspensive version of windows yet. What they have lost in market share they will make up in price. They suffer from the prevelant thinking that they have to make their profit NOW. They have no long term view of profit making.

If they would GIVE AWAY a fully functioning Basic OS, and make paid versions with more features, they would insure repeat and follow-up customers by making themselves indispenseble. But that would require long term thinking on their part: Have you ever seen pigs fly??

I am going to agree with Camride on your reply to my post on most points. I offer this "rebuttal" only as further discussion and not argumentively. With the exception of a Vista computer that I purchased shortly after Vista went mainstream, I build my own and get the self-satisfaction that you speak of. (I bought the Vista computer because, including shipping, it was less than $150 more than the price of the retail version of the OS alone.) I was speaking from the perspective of the "typical home user" who happens to be Microsoft's majority user. (This statistic doesn't diminish the importance of the SMB and enterprise market, I am just speaking for the majority customer.) This "typical home user" does purchase the bottom line computer for the most basic uses and does not have the competence to do as you suggest and download or borrow a "clean" install disc and reinstall the OS on their new computer. (And is not willing or financially able to hire it done professionally) For this majority customer, I see the purchase of a computer (from a big box store or mail-order) with the desired OS pre-installed a "good" purchase.

As to a 3 license possibility from Microsoft for Windows 7: While I certainly would not hold my breath expecting this to happen, "pigs are flying" in Office 2007 Home and Student edition. It does not sound TOTALLY unthinkable that, in view of multiple computers in so many households, Microsoft would (might - could) offer a 3 computer package for a discounted price with some restrictions. (All three would have to be used on a single home network, etc.) Never say NEVER!

As someone who for the last 20 years has often repaired OS problems (all of the Windows machines, sorry) I have to agree that most users I deal with buy low end machines for their needs. Most have no tech skills at all. My community is about 20,000 big, so I guess it pretty much is a typical small town, Located within 30 miles of a colleges on 3 sides. The home user is prehaps the largest cunsomer of MS products, counting on its ease of use (linux is still to geeky; it's gotten better but isn't there yet) to give them a trouble free experience. I can only jope that MS focuses on long term, rather than short term profits. The home user is looking to make their life easier and they count on their systems to do that. The thinking of making the OS in various incarnations makes sense, as they can talior each to different users. By providing an INEXSPENSIVE home version MS makes the use of the OS in business attractive.
I say, make the single system license $25, and they will come :)

I have just on word for this thread......activator!

i guess i better explain....Buy a copy of windows 7 ,or not, and then find a activator for the other computers in ur home.... i know it is not legal. But who is gonna pay 1000 for 3 ( or however many cpus you may have) copies of Windows 7...I'm not. So i might buy a copy, then put it on my wifes computer with an activator.

Last edited:
This "typical home user" does purchase the bottom line computer for the most basic uses and does not have the competence to do as you suggest and download or borrow a "clean" install disc and reinstall the OS on their new computer. (And is not willing or financially able to hire it done professionally) For this majority customer, I see the purchase of a computer (from a big box store or mail-order) with the desired OS pre-installed a "good" purchase.

True. The problem with not having the disc is because OEM's are shaving whatever costs they can, including dics (and have been for years). I've never liked this idea, but what can you do. And yes, I know most people don't have the ability (or time) to wipe a new PC and reload the OS. Most people make do with OEM images, which is why I think you should have the options of a "barebone" OS from the manufacturers. That's another thing I don't see happening anytime soon though, which is unfortunate. Bloatware accounts for alot of issues with OEM images.

As to a 3 license possibility from Microsoft for Windows 7: While I certainly would not hold my breath expecting this to happen, "pigs are flying" in Office 2007 Home and Student edition. It does not sound TOTALLY unthinkable that, in view of multiple computers in so many households, Microsoft would (might - could) offer a 3 computer package for a discounted price with some restrictions. (All three would have to be used on a single home network, etc.) Never say NEVER!

I don't see this happening, ever (all in my opinion of course). Why 3? And if they gave us 3 then we'd be asking for 5. I think licensing is more or less the way it should be.

As far as looking towards the long term instead of short term profits, you can only hemorrhage so much money before you're going to need to take some in. It won't do any of us any good to get some very cheap or free products from M$ if they end up going under because they can't pay their debts. Just think about the billions that they've likely spend on thousands of people's salaries developing this OS. They have to pay for that somehow. The longer you put profits off, the angrier your creditors get.

Just sayin'.

I have just on word for this thread......activator!

i guess i better explain....Buy a copy of windows 7 ,or not, and then find a activator for the other computers in ur home.... i know it is not legal. But who is gonna pay 1000 for 3 ( or however many cpus you may have) copies of Windows 7...I'm not. So i might buy a copy, then put it on my wifes computer with an activator.

And you are one reason that the price of the OS is where it is, pirating. You can call it whatever you want, but when you don't pay for your copy of Windows the rest of us have to pay more to make up for it. Justify it however you want, but that's the truth of it.

Camride wrote

"As far as looking towards the long term instead of short term profits, you can only hemorrhage so much money before you're going to need to take some in. It won't do any of us any good to get some very cheap or free products from M$ if they end up going under because they can't pay their debts. Just think about the billions that they've likely spend on thousands of people's salaries developing this OS. They have to pay for that somehow. The longer you put profits off, the angrier your creditors get."

Here you are hitting on the reason we're in the mess we experiencing now. Today I heard about some of Maddoff's
Inverstors . Some of them expected 900% a year returns!!! 900%!! How much is MS making per year inpure profit????
Here we are STEALING TRILLONS of dollars from people to sure up a system of EXCESSIVE profits so people making FAR too much money can continue to live their jetsetting live style. A few years ago, an MSNBC financial guru wrote a book that people could live very confortable and fullfilling lives on about $50,000 a yr. I think that in view of the mess were in, maybe society should move toward that as a lifestyle. People who contribuate more to society should make more, but the days of badly run companies is over. And let's face it. GM, Bank of America, Fannie Me, etc were and are badly run companies. They ran their companies on credit while their executives got millions in paychecks. Our children and grandchilren and great grandchildren and beyond will be paying for these leaders of industry's exccesses for all of them lives. They will never know a day of rest, work all their lives, know hunger, cold and destitution. All because they turned Capatilism into a four letter word. They have a last succeded in thier long term goal: to reduce us to the rank of slaves.

And if your running your business on debt, if can't be that good, can it?

"Why 3? And if they gave us 3 then we'd be asking for 5."

3 because that is the number of seats that come with Office 2007 Home and Student edition. (Presuming that they would offer some kind of a discount for multiple seats, 3 would be a likely number.); and because that is the number that someone in a previous post suggested. Is everyone not aware that Office 2007 is automatically licensed for 3 users with no restriction as to type of computer? (laptop, desktop, whatever) They are restricted to one "household" but I don't know how they are able to inforce that. I have heard no rumors of offering any kind of multiple packaging, but it is not absurd to think of such. If I could get three seats in one package for 2 or even 2 1/2 times the price of one, I might find it tempting as I have 8 computers on my home network. There is NO WAY I would buy 8 copies of Windows 7 at retail price. Maybe one (to replace my one Vista) without any quantity discount. Many households have 2 to 5 computers counting the children off to college and another one or two finishing high school, etc.

Last edited:
"And you are one reason that the price of the OS is where it is, pirating. You can call it whatever you want, but when you don't pay for your copy of Windows the rest of us have to pay more to make up for it. Justify it however you want, but that's the truth of it."
How about Microsoft raises the price because people like you will pay it? Or the fact that Microsoft seemingly can't make a verison of Windows that can't be pirated?? Or the fact... you know what, on sceond thought, it's not worth it. Buy it if you want, or pirate it. Makes no difference to me.

I myself do not condone piracy of any MS software unless I desperately need it for a computer I'm working on a lot of the OEM discs I have today came from either Torrent websites or by cloning another disc from a customer yeah being able to place 7 on up to 3 computers from one disc would be nice and you never know it might happen if you buy something they might call "The Family Pack" which might be a discounted 3 license version instead of paying up wards of $1000 for 3 you get it for around I dunno $650-$750 maybe they'll throw in Office 2010 option home and student for free I dunno that would be nice though. But anyway My whole opinion on this is If you pirate software just because you don't want to spend the money for another copy go get yourself a Tech Net Subscription for $349 a year and download as many as you want before your subscription expires.

Back
Top Bottom