Windows 10 Wher did Safe Mode go in Windows 10 1511 update ????

I always use the recovery console via 'Settings' as the shift key stopped a long time ago for me..

It's weird the power icon/shift and safe mode all worked before the November GDR2 update. Stupid on Microsoft to let that slip through. Most people won't know how to get into Safe Mode to begin with and they probably will never figure it out.

I also notice that you cannot use system properties to stop Windows update from downloading drivers. It's all been removed..

10 just keep's improvimg. hah ????
I'm in the process of getting part's for a skylake based pc I'm going to build. Should have all of it by May/June.
I'm truly rethinking which version of Windows, I'm going to put on it.

I still have a copy of 8.1.1 of which if 10 ever gets really bad I'll go back to but at the moment there's parts of win 10 I love and parts I truly hate. The update changes being one of them (that I hate). It's performance I do like however so it's a compromise I guess..

That's where I'm at, too. I like some of 10, but I also see alot of it's flaws. I still have Vista Ultimate, 7 Professional and 8/8.1 Pro.
This pc, I'm going to be selling a month ot two after the new one is done.

Where did Safe Mode go in Windows 10 1511 ? Hitting shift key doen't bringg up any options to restart pc, etc. Also there isn't a power icon on the login screen anymore.
If you do hold down shift while accessing the Start Menu, going to Power -> Restart, Windows 10 should still bring you into Advanced startup (Recovery mode). This will let you get into Safe Mode.

You can also boot into it using a Command Line (does not require admin):

Open Command Prompt

Windows Key +R (or Search) -> cmd.exe

Code:
shutdown.exe /r /o

You can create a shortcut to do this with a .bat (essentially a text file with command with the .bat extension instead of .txt)

I just go to run and type in msconfig. go to the boot menu and check boot in safe mode. If I want internet connection check the box for that as well.

I'm truly rethinking which version of Windows, I'm going to put on it.
I'd go with w8 or w8.1.1 on your new system... wx is a downgrade because Microsoft wants people with old W7 and even XP to use it so the driver support just isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom