Windows 8 Where do my restore points go?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm pretty reliable as far as creating restore points before I do anything major.
The problem is that when I look for them later they aren't there.

Even though I use an app called Restore Point Creator and make my own they don't hang around very long.

Is there a way to make Windows retain these and not send them to oblivion.

I would like to have one from before the latest patch, I'm sure it said it was making one when it applied the patch but there is no sign of it now.

I do have one from a couple of months ago, and I'll use that if I need to, but I should have a lot of them during that period.

What happens to them?

Mike

Mike,

I can't look @ my Win8 right now, since I was evacuated from my neighbourhood Thursday evening due to flood ravaged Calgary & I'm @ friends on a Win7 machine. But check to see if you have something that says, "Show more restore points".

Just a though, going from memory...

Cheers,
Drew

Hi Drew

Yes I do have something that says "Show more restore points", but I'm already selecting that.

I'm wondering if there is someplace to set how many restore points it retains or if CCleaner or something like that is removing them.

I know I've had this before in earlier version of Windows, but it's a pain not having a restore point when you need one.

Especially since I go to the effort to make then when ever I think it's a good place to have one.

Right now my system shows 6 restore points none earlier than 6 19 13.
All after the recent update problem, which I got on the 14th.

I hope things dry out soon, good luck.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Again.

OK, I think I found the answer.

On the System Properties screen, System Protection tab, there is a Configure button.
You can select it for each drive you have on your computer from the list above it.

I have system protection turned off for drives D:, E:, and F:, and it's turned on for Drive C:\.

You can set how much space is allotted, for storage of restore points.

Mine was set to 1%.

I'm guessing that, that isn't enough so I changed it to 10% for now, I have a lot of free space on drive C: so I won't miss it.

I'll try it for a while and see if that fixes the problem.

Mike

Mike,

Also, in the Sys Restore control panel I believe you should be able to find/have the ability to "Create Restore Points". Button may say "Configure". Not sure it you give it a date or a description. I found it in my friend's Win7 but, as I said, I'm going by memory for Win8 as I can't look @ my Win8 machine since I'm, still, evacuated from my home due to flood ravaged Calgary. Yes, 10-15% is better than 1%. Sorry, I can't offer you more help, right now.

Cheers,
Drew

You can create your own checkpoints. For example when I create mine, I label it as "System Checkpoint" without the quotations.

Hi Guys

I have a handy app called Restore Point Creator, just click on the icon on my taskbar and type in a name.
Then click Create Restore Point and in a few seconds it's done.

I've used it for years and it works great in Windows 8 too.

If I've fixed the problem with them all disappearing after I create them I'm all set.

I've got my fingers crossed, I'll check in a few days and see if everything is still there.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom