Windows 7 Where is the extra memory being used?

markreed49

Using the tool WinDirStat, I have been able to trim my hard drive down to 47 gigs (according to the program).

However, under my computer, it says that the drive still has 179 gigs of data. What is causing the huge discrepancy?

I just ran a chkdsk, and nothing spectacular happened. I am trying to slim down my current drive to under 120gigs of data. Thanks in advance

How many Restore Points do you have accumulated? Restore Points can contribute to using several gigabytes apiece.

Do you use cleaning utilities such as CCleaner?

Open drive (right-click on drive letter) properties, look under tools and run Error-checking. There could be lost clusters not showing as used space. Error-checking can also find problems in Windows reporting incorrect disk usage.

How many Restore Points do you have accumulated? Restore Points can contribute to using several gigabytes apiece.

Do you use cleaning utilities such as CCleaner?

Open drive (right-click on drive letter) properties, look under tools and run Error-checking. There could be lost clusters not showing as used space. Error-checking can also find problems in Windows reporting incorrect disk usage.

Edit: System restore is off

Yes, I just recently ran CCleaner, and I already did an error check about an hour ago.

I have an empty recycling bin as well. I can't think of anything else.

Last edited:
Hi

Some of your hard drive is being use by your virtual memory.
On my computer it's about 9 gigabytes in system managed size on my C:\ drive and is set to 12 Gigs on my D:\ drive.

If you wan't to you can download and run defraggler, it will improve your system performance and show you a graph of what is on your hard drive and how much space it's using.

Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

It will take a while to run the first time but after that you can tell it to just defrag the fragmented files and it will do it in a few minutes.

I use it every other day and it can really make a noticeable difference in performance.

Mike

Hi

Some of your hard drive is being use by your virtual memory.
On my computer it's about 9 gigabytes in system managed size on my C:\ drive and is set to 12 Gigs on my D:\ drive.

If you wan't to you can download and run defraggler, it will improve your system performance and show you a graph of what is on your hard drive and how much space it's using.

Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

It will take a while to run the first time but after that you can tell it to just defrag the fragmented files and it will do it in a few minutes.

I use it every other day and it can really make a noticeable difference in performance.

Mike

Thanks Mike, defragmenting now. I have 121 gigs of fragmented files... That just MIGHT explain some things.

Back
Top Bottom