Windows 8 Where is Windows Essentials 2012?

lostsoul65

I downloaded Windows Essentials 2012, complete, and almost got my mail to work but in Windows 7 it is the virus checker and security which turns off Defender but in Windows 8 Defender does it all but I can't find where Windows Essentials 2012 is even at?

The OP is confusing Windows Live Essentials with Microsoft Security Essentials. These are 2 separate apps.

Windows Security Essentials is the AV/AM app that MS recommends for Win XP and Win 7. It has been renamed Windows Defender and updated for Win 8. In Win 7 and Win XP ir was an add on app. It is included and enabled by default in Win 8. If you install a separate AV/AM app, WD will be disabled.

Windows Live Essentials is a suite of apps that includes Win Live Mail, Live Photo Gallery, Live Movie Maker and a few other things which I do not use. You can choose how many of the apps you wish to install, one or all, it's up to you.

Why even download Windows Essentials 2012? I only use the live mail which doesn't even work on incoming mail. It seems I'll be better off uninstalling Windows Essentials 2012 and just getting something for mail but I don't know what a good mail would be. I use to use outlook but I don't even know if Windows 8 can use it?

I use WLM for 4 separate email accounts and it works great. I only downloaded 3 apps from the entire suite. I do not use the other apps. WLM is a mail client in that you can set up several different email addresses to be access from this one mail client.

You can see my 4 separate accounts in WLM on my screen shot:

WLM.jpg

Same here .WLM works great. have all my email accounts on this one place.. easy and convenient...
G

Yes, Ted, the OP had some terminology issues.

Windows Live Essentials:
Messenger, WLMail, Photo Gallery, et al.

Microsoft Security Essentials:
A-V/A-M Suite

Windows Defender, Pre- Windows 8, anti-malware.

Windows Defender in Windows 8, A-V & A-M suite (MSE)

None of us are to crazy about the Mail APP. But, there are a number of mail handlers available:
Hotmail
Outlook.com
WLMail
and, if one has Office, Outlook.

All the above work just fine in Win8

Cheers,
Drew
201672.jpg

Note: Hotmail and Outlook.com are one and the same thing. Although eventually the name Hotmail will disappear being replaced by Outlook.com.

Why even download Windows Essentials 2012? I only use the live mail which doesn't even work on incoming mail. It seems I'll be better off uninstalling Windows Essentials 2012 and just getting something for mail but I don't know what a good mail would be. I use to use outlook but I don't even know if Windows 8 can use it?

Oh, but it does my good friend
To get Windows Live Essentials working effectively without having to sign in to receive mail, do the following;
Install Windows Live Essentials (naturally) and only the apps you want or need.
Once installed, open WLM (Windows Live Mail) and click on the "Accounts" tab
Now, in the ribbon, click on the green + sign (says email), a new window will open
In that window place your Windows Live ID (email address, if you don't have one you can create it there) and password and check any boxes under that, that are applicable, you will also note you can add other accounts as well, AOL, Gmail, pretty much all of them and they will have to be done in a separate process.
When finished, click next, then click yes to sign in to WLM, then ok yourself out.
This will sync all your MSN email accounts, Hotmail, MSN, Outlook, because you use the same ID to sign in to all of them.
The next time you open WLM without signing in, your inbox will have your mail.

Hope this helps
Don

Back