Windows 7 WHICH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 which don't cause BSOD???

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

Ride on!! :thumbs_up:

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

Ride on!! :thumbs_up:

hey all haven't logged in for awhile. as far as my choice of antivirus i have had good luck with ad aware free with no problems. i have also used mse and have had a few issues with something trying to install and run MPKSL driver in my device manager so i have uninstalled it. mse is good and can't really complain because it is free. i have read alot about common sense antivirus which i think is the best when used with any of the freeware. just my opinion. thanks. poorguy

In the end, in my opinion, whether you use freeware, paidware, a combination of both of the recommended software... it greatly all comes down to the end user.

No matter the amount of protective software is installed, no matter the manufacturer/programmer... it's the end user that ultimately is responsible for the install of the crapware that bypasses said anticrapware.

We have the tools and know how... we sometimes forget to be ever vigilant. We just let everything run on cruise control/auto pilot because of our (sometimes blind) reliance to said products thinking it's going to catch our mistakes. (Mind you, these anticrapware are made by human hands, thus are prone to be imperfect, unless God created the anticrapware programs, or insert deity here for your denomination, or removed for non-denomination).

Whatever the user recommendations given for said product(s) or program(s) is installed, a 'byte' of user diligence is always a nice addon to any anticrapware being used.

Forgot to mention: A friend installed a really pricey A/V program, and suffice to say (as bad as his surfing/viewing, and scanning habits are), he still manages to get crapware installed/infected system. It took the use of MSE, afterwards TrendMicro to clean it. :D

I did inform him, not to run his AV, CCleaner, and various antimalware programs in various cleaning modes, all at the same time. <_<;

Last edited:

Running free AVG we got 18 systems heavily infected.

With Norton we never had a problem in 5 years.

MSE we tried on one system and promptly caught 2 viruses.

Kaspersky is not bad but heavy handed

G-Data and Eset are excellent

Forget McAfee. Too big, too slow but good with trojans

My list would be Norton, Eset and G-Data. But best is to make frequent images. Then you can always bail yourself out in no time.

Running free AVG we got 18 systems heavily infected.

With Norton we never had a problem in 5 years.

MSE we tried on one system and promptly caught 2 viruses.

Kaspersky is not bad but heavy handed

G-Data and Eset are excellent

Forget McAfee. Too big, too slow but good with trojans

My list would be Norton, Eset and G-Data. But best is to make frequent images. Then you can always bail yourself out in no time.
The last two sentences of your post said it all! There are times that even the best of AV/IS suites cannot remove the virus (or other infection) alone. Even MBAM cannot conquer all.

This, among other reasons that I always harp on users to backup, once their issue is solved. Many, I'd say over 90%, of issues posted on forums are software related. In those instances, the backup will be the bailout.

On the other hand, when there is a major hardware failure (such as a HDD), the backup becomes critical. I keep 2, one of which when the install was new, and the one taken before Update Tuesday of each month. 2 is usually enough.

As for my choice of security software, it's in my signature. Like Dangaioh stated, whether free or paid, it's what each user does with the software that counts. Scans must be made from time to time, updated versions must be checked for (this is not an auto update behind the scenes), and a second opinion scanner such as SuperAntiSpyware or MBAM (I use the Lifetime Pro versions of both) helps also.

And don't believe the hype that just because MSE is free, it's worthless. I was given a PC by my mother-in-law yesterday, MSE was installed. It had been stored for some time. As soon as it was fired up, MSE was lighting up the screen with trojan/virus warnings, & this was the prior version (2.0). I will probably continue to use MSE, because I've used up all 3 PC's of my ESET Smart Security 5. But I will buy MBAM Pro as soon as Newegg runs it on promo again to install on it.

Anyway, it was running so slow, it's a 2004 Dell Dimension 2400, had never been reinstalled, so I done that. Where it was slow as a turtle, it's now fast (with only 768MB RAM, I'll fix that soon). But that PC was loaded with viruses/malware. Not anymore, it's updating fresh now. Will see how good the new MSE is.

Cat

The last two sentences of your post said it all! There are times that even the best of AV/IS suites cannot remove the virus (or other infection) alone. Even MBAM cannot conquer all.

This, among other reasons that I always harp on users to backup, once their issue is solved. Many, I'd say over 90%, of issues posted on forums are software related. In those instances, the backup will be the bailout.

On the other hand, when there is a major hardware failure (such as a HDD), the backup becomes critical. I keep 2, one of which when the install was new, and the one taken before Update Tuesday of each month. 2 is usually enough.

As for my choice of security software, it's in my signature. Like Dangaioh stated, whether free or paid, it's what each user does with the software that counts. Scans must be made from time to time, updated versions must be checked for (this is not an auto update behind the scenes), and a second opinion scanner such as SuperAntiSpyware or MBAM (I use the Lifetime Pro versions of both) helps also.

And don't believe the hype that just because MSE is free, it's worthless. I was given a PC by my mother-in-law yesterday, MSE was installed. It had been stored for some time. As soon as it was fired up, MSE was lighting up the screen with trojan/virus warnings, & this was the prior version (2.0). I will probably continue to use MSE, because I've used up all 3 PC's of my ESET Smart Security 5. But I will buy MBAM Pro as soon as Newegg runs it on promo again to install on it.

Anyway, it was running so slow, it's a 2004 Dell Dimension 2400, had never been reinstalled, so I done that. Where it was slow as a turtle, it's now fast (with only 768MB RAM, I'll fix that soon). But that PC was loaded with viruses/malware. Not anymore, it's updating fresh now. Will see how good the new MSE is.

Cat

common sense antivirus is the best, although you can't download it. in my opinion most free antivirus is good, some does seem to work better. i have tried several of them. mse is good but i have had some problems like the MPKSL legacy drivers it wants to install. i have had the best results with ad aware free antivirus. i also run superantispyware and malwarebytes free. these in my opinion are real good freeware no complaints. i have also found if you are infected and all else fails combo fix will remove most everything. if you use combo fix make sure you read it well or you can remove things that you don't want to. i have had paid versions of most antivirus / antispyware and all i really noticed was a few BS extras. i will stay with my freeware because i have not been infected for a long time. freeware rocks in my opinion. if its free and you try it and don't like it remove and move to something else to many choices to be unprotected and unhappy. poorguy

I don't know how many times over the years we (IT Pros) have said, "Oh, the problem was a nut on the chair". ;)

Ppl can have (good) tools but, need to be used & the best security tool is between one's ears.

Drew

I don't know how many times over the years we (IT Pros) have said, "Oh, the problem was a nut on the chair". ;)

Ppl can have (good) tools but, need to be used & the best security tool is between one's ears.

Drew

hey drew i agree. i have cleaned all kinds of bs off of peoples desktops due to the fact that some people just don't or won't think. there answer well i have antivirus. still it pays to stay away from some sites/ torrents etc. like i said earlier my best antivirus is common sense and my freeware does help also. some peoples kids. poorguy

Here's my opinion post for this thread.

AVG Internet Security is not bad, I do have a subscription and it's working just fine. No BSOD or issues.

However, I am not to fond of the 'YouTube Accelerator' and 'PC Analyzer' feature to fix registry errors. They should have left that out.

Forgot to mention... My aunt is currently using the same AVG suite, and she does get BSOD. She got this issue because of PEBCAC (PErson Between Chair And Computer), she or family members (her sisters, brothers and inlaws, nieces, and nephews) continuously clicks the yes, accept, continue, install, agree, etc... button for a software, browser game or 'to good to be true' deal sites. I end up cleaning the entire system without having to do a clean install of Windows 7.

The previous PC in use (which belonged to my sister) was inundated with so much crapware, dustbunny colony, that she got pissed off, took it home and asked me to clean it. Suffice to say, system is cleaned, and inside was dusted with a leaf blower. :D The power supply was the only item that died after 1 year of being cleaned.

Other paid all in one complete security suites I have used and no issues or BSOD that have occurred are (in no particular order of preference):

• Bit Defender
  • Trend Micro
  • Zone Alarm
  • PcCillin

Really good free to use security suites... just what's been mentioned before. MSE and AVAST.

If you have a spare portable USB drive, download and install ClamWin. This has been a God send for clearing out PCs that belong to friends and families. (Yah, I do carry a jump drive with me at all times)

And as mentioned, stay away from:

• McAfee
  • Symantec
  • CA Security Suite... I installed this once on a clean install of Windows Vista, and right off the bat, I have issues.

Hope my engrish is not goodly bad... I thinks my engrish is as good as Yodas.
hey i have clamwin on one of my vista desktops and i have to agree it is pretty good and frill free. i don't need all the bells and crap that comes with most antivirus. clamwin is very good. freeware rocks. poorguy

ClamWin is a very good antivirus. I've cleaned viruses myself with it. There's a set of apps that one can install of a USB flash drive, called "Portable Apps". ClamWin is an option.

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

I do have to agree with all of the posters who've pointed out, the best security is the one who controlling the keyboard. That's 100% true, no AV/IS solution can save one's behind if the user continues to go forward after being warned.

Also many users clicks onto many ads that claims to be giving away free laptops & other goodies, all these people wants is your info, so that they can clean you out. They have the ones who clicks onto these ads applying for credit cards, these users don't really know where their info is going.

Many users also opens up bad emails, that has malware within them. Usually behind that pretty lady with the knockout looks, who writes to you, wanting to be your "friend", cannot even correctly spell your native language, loves you out of nowhere, is BS. These are professional crooks, and by contacting this person (usually a female), she'll want a little cash at first, then more & more. While at the same time, planting some form of spyware/malware onto your computer, to trace your internet activities, including your banking sites, account numbers & passwords.

By avoiding these type of things, and similar scams, that's common sense computing. Anyone with any lick of sense ought to know that these type of things is too good to be true.

While these practices doesn't guarantee that you'll be virus free, it'll increase the odds a lot.

Cat

ClamWin is a very good antivirus. I've cleaned viruses myself with it. There's a set of apps that one can install of a USB flash drive, called "Portable Apps". ClamWin is an option.

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

I do have to agree with all of the posters who've pointed out, the best security is the one who controlling the keyboard. That's 100% true, no AV/IS solution can save one's behind if the user continues to go forward after being warned.

Also many users clicks onto many ads that claims to be giving away free laptops & other goodies, all these people wants is your info, so that they can clean you out. They have the ones who clicks onto these ads applying for credit cards, these users don't really know where their info is going.

Many users also opens up bad emails, that has malware within them. Usually behind that pretty lady with the knockout looks, who writes to you, wanting to be your "friend", cannot even correctly spell your native language, loves you out of nowhere, is BS. These are professional crooks, and by contacting this person (usually a female), she'll want a little cash at first, then more & more. While at the same time, planting some form of spyware/malware onto your computer, to trace your internet activities, including your banking sites, account numbers & passwords.

By avoiding these type of things, and similar scams, that's common sense computing. Anyone with any lick of sense ought to know that these type of things is too good to be true.

While these practices doesn't guarantee that you'll be virus free, it'll increase the odds a lot.

Cat

hey cat, i agree i have heard about the antivirus pop ups that say you pc has been infected and a scan is needed now so what do they do, hit ok and bam now they really are infected. all they would of had to do was close the browser or power off. if you didn't start a scan than that would be my first clue. as far as the things that i won for being the what ever who logged on to their site is total bs. i am just not that lucky to be a winner that many times. as far as the women wanting to hook up with me that ain't going to happen because my other half would kill us or at least me. i'll steer clear of those ha ha. i go to some bad sites like some torrent sites and if i half to change any of my security settings then i'm done at that point. in my opinion i think it is clear to most if you don't smart search and have some form of antivirus free or paid then none of it will protect. i keep telling my kids that but do they listen no and they are always catching something that i have to remove.once infected your opr. sys. is never the same i don't care how or what you clean it with you always lose something.exercise the brain it is the best antivirus to have,to bad it doesn't run when it should. just my opinion. poorguy

hey cat, i agree i have heard about the antivirus pop ups that say you pc has been infected and a scan is needed now so what do they do, hit ok and bam now they really are infected. all they would of had to do was close the browser or power off. if you didn't start a scan than that would be my first clue. as far as the things that i won for being the what ever who logged on to their site is total bs. i am just not that lucky to be a winner that many times. as far as the women wanting to hook up with me that ain't going to happen because my other half would kill us or at least me. i'll steer clear of those ha ha. i go to some bad sites like some torrent sites and if i half to change any of my security settings then i'm done at that point. in my opinion i think it is clear to most if you don't smart search and have some form of antivirus free or paid then none of it will protect. i keep telling my kids that but do they listen no and they are always catching something that i have to remove.once infected your opr. sys. is never the same i don't care how or what you clean it with you always lose something.exercise the brain it is the best antivirus to have,to bad it doesn't run when it should. just my opinion. poorguy
What you just described happened to me once when using MSE. I clicked to clean, then it was just like you said "BAM". Fortunately, MBAM removed all traces of the infection.

It was after reading one of those emails that I described about the pretty woman that this happened, a couple of years ago. Right after closing the email and signing out was when it happened. Looked like the real MSE warning box, too. Lesson learned.

If a pop-up like that appears again, I'll just close it, and open up MSE or MBAM myself. That's the safest way.

Cat

lol - so much for College English, eh? lol OK - let's try this ........... I haven't ran nothing but MSE & AVG for the past several yrs w/ no issues at all! Hows that? :)
hey all, i have used alot of free antivirus and have not been infected because of them it was all due to my own stupidity. i have had problems with MSE MPKSL driver issue. only cure i found was to remove MSE and problem stopped. had a problem with VIPRE SBRE driver issue. same thing only cure i found was to remove VIPRE and problem stopped. everyone seems to hate avg free and i have used it since ver 7.5 and have never caught a virus or have ever had any problems with it. i think all free antivirus does what it says it does gives basic protection. its free and i can't complain at all. i have had problems with some of these all on different boxes and different OS from XP to VISTA to W7. also the most problems i ever had was with MACAFEE and in my opinion they are just CRAP. anyway just thought i would toss in my opinion. best antivirus that i have found has been around forever COMMON SENSE ANTIVIRUS and it is and has always been free. thanks poorguy

Damn shame common sense isn't very common. If, only, it was more widespread what a wonderful world it would be.

Drew

Show me the place in this world where everybody has common sense and I move there tomorrow.

But, the void helps keep us IT Pros working :)

Drew

Damn shame common sense isn't very common. If, only, it was more widespread what a wonderful world it would be.

Drew
hey drew have a question. what do you do with this problem MPKSL legacy driver that MSE keeps trying to install. i know that i am not the only one that has this problem. many other blogs that i belong to have the same problem and no real answers other than to remove the MSE antivirus which i really hated to do but i did not want it to fill up my registry with BS non excisting drivers. microsoft is lost, God forbid that they made a mistake. so anyone out here have any real solutions to this problem. if so i would like to know how to solve this issue. i like MSE and would like to reinstall it. however avg which i am using now does not have this problem. my really good COMMON SENSE ANTIVIRUS FREE DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. please give me some help. w7 OS. i am lost at how to fix it and i don't have much faith in microsofts notebook IT readers. hell they don't have a clue. i am lost poorguy

After this is done you can dump AVG & reinstall MSE. And following this, if, you ever see more of these, leave them be, there is no harm from them.

& after, please don't muck about in the Registry, leave it be, please.

After uninstalling MSE I ran a small programm "msecleantool". It gets rid of all registry entries that MSE unfortunately leaves behind. After rebooting I did a fresh install and since then had several manual updates. Problem solved, only one MPKLS entry visible!

You can find the tool at Das Team Microsoft EMEA GTSC DO besteht nicht mehr... (a site by German MVPs, German language only, sorry) in the "Problem und Lösung" (problem and solution) section. Click on "Hilfe zum Entfernen von Microsoft Security Essentials" (help with removing MSE) to download the zip file.

For direct download just click

http://download.mshelper.de/mshregs/NBB/msecleantool.zip

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:

After this is done you can dump AVG & reinstall MSE. And following this, if, you ever see more of these, leave them be, there is no harm from them.

& after, please don't muck about in the Registry, leave it be, please.

After uninstalling MSE I ran a small programm "msecleantool". It gets rid of all registry entries that MSE unfortunately leaves behind. After rebooting I did a fresh install and since then had several manual updates. Problem solved, only one MPKLS entry visible!

You can find the tool at Das Team Microsoft EMEA GTSC DO besteht nicht mehr... (a site by German MVPs, German language only, sorry) in the "Problem und Lösung" (problem and solution) section. Click on "Hilfe zum Entfernen von Microsoft Security Essentials" (help with removing MSE) to download the zip file.

For direct download just click

http://download.mshelper.de/mshregs/NBB/msecleantool.zip

Cheers,
Drew
hey drew, thanks for the input. i will check into this and see what it can do for me. thanks again poorguy

Back