Windows 8 which notebook for windows 8

billzant

Dear Forum,

I am looking to buy a new notebook.

In the shop I like there are 3 factors I am considering for the way I use my computer.

i7 or i5
Hard drive 750 or 500Gb
8 Gb/4Gb ram

I have discovered that where I get my notebook if I want i7 and 750Gb I cannot increase the ram to 8 Gb without invalidating the warranty.

If I get i5 and 500Gb I can increase from 4 Gb to 8 Gb without invalidating warranty.

I want to run Windows 8, and the notebooks are Asus which I have been advised are reliable in my area. I am not a gamer.

I am loathe to change shops because of their service.

I have always preferred increased ram, I increased it and everything seemed faster.

I would welcome comments.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

Hi

Unless you are going to be running really high powered software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign all at the same time an i5 processor is all you need, my friend has a i5 Gaming computer that is lightning fast.

If you are going to get a new computer now, I,d go with and i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram, if that's what your options are.

By Notebook I assume you want something smaller then a 15" laptop computer.

This limits options somewhat, most computers labeled Notebook have somewhat more limited options then a standard 15" or 16" laptop, it appears that small laptops with 8 gigs of ram and an i5 processor are pretty hard to come by, and not cheap.

This is about the only moderately priced one I found...

http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-V301LP-DS51T-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00JB3N6KS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403023400&sr=1-1&keywords=13 inch laptop

Note that this computer has an HD screen, something that it very important to me.
I like to be able to zoom in on things and have them sharp.

And this costs as much as a similar 17" computer.

My wife has a 17" Asus laptop and likes it a lot, but she doesn't carry it around, it sits on her desk permanently.

As far as hard drives go, the bigger the better, especially if you are into video and photography.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

How are you?

I live in Thailand, in the shop notebook and laptop are interchangeable. Screens here tend to be "15 inch" - is it 14.6 14.8? The screen size was the same for both models - no other size in this shop. They call the small ones netbooks here.

No 17 inch available at the shop, doesn't interest me either.

I don't use that big software.

I use videos and some photos. I would have to trim what is on my hard drive at the moment but in truth I don't access a lot of it.

Another forum said the same as you, Mike.

Thanks.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

Back