Windows 10 Why am I getting the message, Try the new cross-platform Powershell when I open the Windows now?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi guys

I noticed today that this message keeps appearing at the top of the Prompt window when ever I open it?
A quick search didn't find any explanation of what this is about, only people asking how to get rid of it.

Mike

Actually I am already using PowerShell. But every time I open it I get that message.
I guess they just want to make sure. lol

The answer is there is a newer Powershell console available which will likely replace the existing Powershell at some point and they're basically just advertising it. If you're not a scripter you can just ignore it.

For some backstory you have Windows PowerShell which is basically what all versions of Windows still come with and you have Powershell core which is indeed a cross-platform version which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux which is what Microsoft is shifting towards. Windows Powershell isn't developed any more except for security related patching if any. Windows Powershell ended at version 5.1. Powershell Core started with version 6.x and is now on 7.x with the newest version hitting about 91% compatibility with 5.1

Thanks for the explanation Neemo.
When I read it I checked into how to do it and what it was for but it didn't make any sense.

Mike

Back