Windows 7 why is my login screen different, and...

stevae

i just wanted to know why my login screen is different, and how can i get back the old one with the hand and all the colors? nothing irritates, me more than ms changing things on your system without you approving it. why would they change this login screen? i really liked the old one, and the new one is gay looking. any help is very much appreciated.

You might want to post a screenshot as we have no clue unless we can see what you are talking about:)

i just wanted to know why my login screen is different, and how can i get back the old one with the hand and all the colors? nothing irritates, me more than ms changing things on your system without you approving it. why would they change this login screen? i really liked the old one, and the new one is gay looking. any help is very much appreciated.

Never seen a hand at login screen ? Maybe your old one had been altered in someway . We have all had the blue background at login :D

well, i have win 7 ultimate black edition. and if you have seen the black background, with all the colors coming out of the palm of the hand, then imagine that, but with many, many more colors. if you haven't seen it, click to change your background, and it is in that list of backgrounds. now i have this crappy blue screen, that is just ugly.
now, i don't mean to sound ignorant here, but how do i post a screen shot of a login screen, as my app's, which take such a shot, haven't loaded yet?????? maybe i just need to take it with my camera?
or is there a folder which has the login screen in it? that would be an even better way to check!

Black Edition?

What is that?

Did you do a "clean install?

Are you dual-booting?

Did you download the RC directly from MS and activate it?

Do you mean you have changed the theme to High contrast or High Contrast black?

Go to Start > Run, and type winver, this will tell you want edition you have.

Black Edition as in one that someone has "cracked" (for lack of a better word) and added things to it..? ;)

I wouldn't recommend using that.. at least not for an RC release.. If 7 was in the Retail stages then yes it would probably be alright to use.. but an RC isn't a good time to use something like that.. it can and usually does lead to "problems" like the one the OP is having.. That being said, I'm not saying that it won't work, it obviously IS working, I just don't think that's a very good "version" to be using at this point.. :) I'd recommend you download the official release from Microsoft's Website and do a clean install of that..

I have to ask too, why would you prefer to use a Black Edition of an RC? I'm assuming the reason they've dubbed it "Black Edition" is because the time bomb has been removed and or deactivated?

Yet again, I have to laugh to myself because I just don't see the point of cracking a BETA OR RC version of an OS.. Especially seeing as Windows 7 will more then likely be finished and in stores long before the RC or even RTM expires.. ;)

Black Edition as in one that someone has "cracked" (for lack of a better word) and added things to it..? ;)

I wouldn't recommend using that.. at least not for an RC release.. If 7 was in the Retail stages then yes it would probably be alright to use.. but an RC isn't a good time to use something like that.. it can and usually does lead to "problems" like the one the OP is having.. That being said, I'm not saying that it won't work, it obviously IS working, I just don't think that's a very good "version" to be using at this point.. :) I'd recommend you download the official release from Microsoft's Website and do a clean install of that..

I have to ask too, why would you prefer to use a Black Edition of an RC? I'm assuming the reason they've dubbed it "Black Edition" is because the time bomb has been removed and or deactivated?

Yet again, I have to laugh to myself because I just don't see the point of cracking a BETA OR RC version of an OS.. Especially seeing as Windows 7 will more then likely be finished and in stores long before the RC or even RTM expires..

;)

The Black Edition was Not even close to the RC an early Beta . The Rockersteam produced it .They seem to have gone from the internet for now :)

i'm not really sure what you guys are talking about. this op sys was given to me by a friend. i did the winver thing, and it said it was win 7 7707 version. all i know is that it has run flawlessly since the day i loaded it. it is very fast, compared to win vista ultimate that i have on another partition. so the answer is yes, to the person who asked me if i am dual booting. i have win 7 on c: drive, and win vista ultimate on a: drive. the only problem i have ever had is that recently my boot screen changed to this blue screen, with a squiggly line coming diagonally down from left to right. i never have really paid much attention to logon screens, but the old one was really cool looking, and this one sucks.
anyway, is there a way to change it?

No offfeense, but does it really matter that much.:)

How long is it displayed for....about 5 seconds . No, I just checked and it's 3 seconds.

ok let me explain to you that the windows 7 black editions logon background is not the official background.

in black edition if you goto
c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds
if the version isant cracked then that path will not exist
if it does then in there will be that black logon screen, this means someone has put it there and it isant the original
delete thoed images or the image then log off and you will have the either rc logon screen or the beta logon screen both of which are black

if you want to add a background and i dunno if this works in the rc add that path and goto regedit and locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background
and add a DWORD called "OEMBackground"
then change it's value from "0" to "1"
then copy a JPEG image to that first path and name it
backgroundDefault.jpg

and then you should have found how that black logon background got put on that version, if not than it was a hard crack that i don't know of.:)

and ill also add there is no such build existing called windows 7 build 7707
the rc is build 7100

thank you for the instructions. i made a mistake when typing my reply. the build is 7077, not 7707. maybe this helps. but i will go to this path, and let you know what i find. i'm fine to download and set up the 7100 rc, but i am reading soooooooo many problems that people are having with it on another thread on this board, that i am worried about trying to change, when i have a perfectly good running version now. know what i mean?

ok so i tried to navigate to c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds, and windows says that that path doesn't exist. so what now? that login screen has to exist somewhere on this machine for it to be used, doesn't it? it's not in the backgrounds folder, i already checked that. i just want that pic, to use as a background or for anything else, to answer the question of the guy who commented on why i need to change it. it isn't so much that i care what the logon screen looks like, but that i want that pic. finally, since win's could not find that path, does that mean that i am not using a cracked version? i am now curious as to what exactly i do have. all i know is that on every win 7 board i have looked at, there are a lot of people complaining that so many things don't work, and i don't have any of those problems, and don't want them...

You need to Go to Control panel > Folder Options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folder and check Show protected operating system files.

After the changes I asked you to make it should show up that and be named background.bmp.

Do you see 20+ files in that directory?

If it's not there, create your own, but it has top be the same size as your resolution is set to.

Back