Windows 10 lock/login screen issue

circe801

hi. just an FYI--MS was of absolutely no help here--no surprise there, though...
i have personalized the lock/login screen with a picture from my computer.
it always showed upon start/restart.
all of a sudden--at first only from time to time, but recently, more frequently--a picture will come up instead of the one i set. it is in the same vein as the four stock MS images available in the personalization settings--but is not one of them. nor is it a photo from my computer.
i am baffled. i have searched and searched and have not been able to find a similar issue described anywhere. as i said, MS was of no help--a 'moderator' who didn't have a very good grasp of english grammar proceeded to give me the instructions on how to personalize my lockscreen picture. DUHR. really sad, especially, since even the title of my post made it obvious that i had already done that. if i hadn't, i wouldn't be having this issue, right? sheesh.
hoping someone here might be of some assistance.
this is 64 bit build 1803.
thank you!!

Windows 10 defaults to images provided by MS randomly from the internet on the lock screen. I believe it's called Windows Spotlight and changes the lock screen image once per day. If your on Windows 10 Pro you can disable Spotlight via Group Policy. On Windows 10 Home you will have to disable it via the registry.

If you browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent, and create a new DWORD value called DisableWindowsSpotlightFeatures and set it's value to 1 it should disable it. However that setting is per-user, and if I remember right the lock screen has its own set of settings somewhere. But if you only have one user you might try this to start.

Back