Windows 7 Why is my Windows 7 slower than Vista?

Selvos

I have looked endlessly on why on earth after installing Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista that now my PC runs slower.

Windows has increased trouble handling multiple applications which weren't a problem in Vista. example: I can't play music and surf the web without struggling performance in media player.
Boot is considerably slower.
Programs load slower.
I have a diagnostics report if needed.
There always seems to something running in the background. Even when I switch from one window to the other, the mouse stutters.
I cleaned up the PC too. Wondering if I should use Advanced System Care to fix my registry?
My experience index is down. (I know there's lots of posts on that) But it truly does perform slower.
I checked all my drivers, all up to date. I checked my startup. Nothing should really be causing this.
I also checked the stickied posts too to identify the problem.

I have 64 bit Windows 7 with 4 gbs ram.
Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 ghz

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I must be one of the few fortunate ones with doing the upgrade. I haven't seen any of the problems people are describing they are having. My boot up time has been cut in half as well as my shut down time. I can run multiple apps at the same time while playing music and video clips. So I have no complaints on using the upgrade. That being said, I do agree that a clean install is best but for my particular case, upgrade was the better choice.

Yup, do a clean install and it should be the answer. As you can tell we've had quite a few posts like this one :)

Yup, do a clean install and it should be the answer. As you can tell we've had quite a few posts like this one :)

Thanks so much!!
So basically I simply boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD?
Do I have to do anything before I reinstall?
Will this clean out all of my files and drivers?

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

Yes, custom installation with formatting the hard drive partition WILL clean out all of your files and drivers.

You my want to backup first :

Windows 7 features - Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

8. Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

Yes, custom installation with formatting the hard drive partition WILL clean out all of your files and drivers.

You my want to backup first :

Windows 7 features - Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

8. Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

Good writeup! :)

Excellent! Thanks, I now have a smooth running, clean PC. : )

I did not install any of the apps that came with my Acer upgrade kit. Wondering if I should install these:

Acer Mobility Center
Acer Security Suite
epower
optical drive power management
power management utility
power dvd

anyone know if these are needed?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

I did not install any of the apps that came with my Acer upgrade kit. Wondering if I should install these:

Acer Mobility Center
Acer Security Suite
epower
power management utility
power dvd

Thanks again!

I personally wouldn't worry about Acer Mobility Center but it depends on how well you can cope making sure you have the latest drivers, have you been here and picked your model number and made sure you have all the latest drivers to enable your devices etc ?

with Acer Security Suite I would prefer to install my own antivirus and malware control, I find Microsoft Security Essentials running real-time and Malwarebytes run on demand keeps my system clean :)

not sure about epower possibly fan\processor speed control ??

optical drive power management is this needed for you to use your DVD drive ??

the rest I'm not sure of but if your not missing anything and all works I personally wouldn't, but I would research it with google ;)

I would also right click my computer and goto properties then device manager and check to see all devices where installed and working with no warning icons showing ?

Acer Mobility Center
Acer Security Suite
epower
power management utility
power dvd

Thanks again!

Great news! As icky say's you could check the apps out via google or an Acer forum but Power DVD is a DVD player and depending on which version isn't a bad app.

Hello Selvos,
Have you checked for Viruses ? Spyware? There may be something lurking there. Also make sure you shutdown processes unnecessarry running in the background.
Thanks again,
John
Microsoft Windows Client Support

When I did our old Dell Laptop the only Dell program I needed was the Touch Pad software. Windows did everything else.

Back