Windows 7 Why is this happening with Win Explorer?

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
When using WE, if I click on a folder in the left pane, it takes a lllooonnnnggg time for the right pane to populate. Sometimes I can speed it up by clicking another folder then back. The progress bar on top moves slowly left to right like it is indexing the files or searching or something.

Is there a way to make just show me the contents NOW when I click the folder??

I have turned off indexing, but no help.

Hi ruggb,
how much RAM do you have? Oh and how full is your HDD? Lastly do you defrag at all? If not, try using this app as it's free and speedy (as well as being better than the default version)

Download Auslogics Disk Defrag for free

I'd also turn indexing back on..

thanks K

6GB memory
fullest drive is 16% unused but it wasn't the one I was looking at.
most fragmented is 5% and the one I was looking at is 0%.

thanks K

6GB memory

It sounds as though, still, something may be wrong with the drive or something is using extensive disk I/O. Do you see on the computer itself, a disk indicator light showing that the hard drive is active?

Does everything else function normally, or is the entire system slow?

In this scenario, it sounds like it may either be a hard drive or video issue. There are many ways to measure the performance of your hard drive, but not many of them are simple to interpret.

If you have an Intel-based motherboard, try:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=10884

Also see

Support for Intel Storage Technology

Try , in safe mode, running chkdsk /f. If there are any bad sectors it might be able to isolate them. But finding bad sectors, should there be any, does not alter the possibility of a hrd disk wearing.

Do you have anything in the DVD drive, or could it be looking at a network which may delay the presentation?

I know if I put a new drive or something else that has not been scanned prior to opening a window, the green bar will delay long enough to catalog the new folders.

As kemical mentioned, you might check the Indexing Options dialog in the Control Panel.

thanks K

6GB memory

HDD's work best if at least 25% is left free. If you go over this figure then a slow down can occur..

Back
Top Bottom