Windows 10 Why some older games won't run on Windows 10

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft recently released an update kb3086255 which disables two old style DRM's Securom and Safedisc.
This means that any games still using this old style of Digital Rights Management will not work under Windows 10.
This is to address security concerns and if your truly desperate to play that old game then Microsoft have supplied details on a workaround. This basically involves turning the disabled features back on and can be found on this page from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

Safedisc is known to damage dvd-rom drives, If you must have it to play a game I recommend using a system without a disc drive in it.

Safedisc is known to damage dvd-rom drives, If you must have it to play a game I recommend using a system without a disc drive in it.

Safedisc is awful but no link was ever found or even proved that it damaged dvd/cd-rom drives. That it's a rootkit and uses cryptolocker functions was worrying at the time.

Around 2007 they entered a war against cd-rom makers (led by Lite-on) and started dictating what software/ firmware's allowed to play games guarded by Safedisc... this made some drives spin at speeds they couldn't handle and that directly damaged the roms. Perhaps more importantly the back lash from gamers upset about safedisc started to effect sales with people openly calling for boycotts against safedisc games whilst other developers enjoyed solid sales despite controversially having no disc protection built into their discs.

Of course, now we have digital distributing with it's day one software lock built into it but that's another topic.

fyi some new-older games like Dragon Age Origins assume Network 3 to make the Daupdater (loads mods) work or download any DLC you have... you can turn Network 3 on from the control panel "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features"

Screenshot (35).png

p.s, you have to temp turn "windows updates" service on to load this feature but only during the load up... about 2 minutes

Wow. I came here to ask how to install .NET Framework 2.0 ( specifically, which file was the right one to use) and I see I would have been barking up the wrong tree, if I can enable it in my Windows 10 setup. Thanks!

It's for Titan Quest:IT, as the Defiler mod requires 2.0, though I also plan to play DA: O when I get the chance. I've had the game for years, yet I've never gotten past the camp, for sundry reasons.

I also plan to play DA: O when I get the chance. I've had the game for years, yet I've never gotten past the camp, for sundry reasons.

I sometimes fire up da:O on my work laptops just to push the G-cards above warm… say hi to Duncan for me.

I sometimes fire up da:O on my work laptops just to push the G-cards above warm… say hi to Duncan for me.
I'm afraid I might have to put DA: O on hold. For some reason, I've gotten the Fallout 3 bug, again, and with mods installed that, for some reason or another, I had problems installing before, I'm enjoying the Wastelands even more than I do FO4. Add to that the addictive gameplay in TQ, and I'm going to be pretty busy for a while. heh

In some cases it works with the "compatibility mode" but I'm afraid that some day I won't be able to play my favorite games anymore :(

I have quite a library of old games all on disk I might add. Some like Crysys 2 (which isn't actually that old) won't work anymore although I can still download the game via Origin. Luckily one of my fav games of all time will still install, FEAR and FEAR:Extraction Point. Totally awesome combat especially for the time of 2005 and that slow-mo bullet time is something else.. :)

There are games that need the disk in the drive to show authorization.

You could uninstall the update.I never had problem with disk in drive as it a game ported from consol to pc.Consol gamers don't seem to have any problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom