Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

Well I have netbooks with no CD drive. So I cannot just install Windows 8 or any other version of Windows for that reason.

I know there may be other ways of getting Windows 8 onto my netbook. But from what I read it involves partitioning the hard disk. And with my limited experience, I am sure I would mess up my computer. And Windows may no longer boot if I made a mistake.

I was able to install some brands of Linux alongside Windows. Because with Linux you can mount the ISO file on virtual clone drive. And use the Mint 4 Windows installer. So Linux is then installed inside Windows like your other Windows programs. And you can uninstall it again in programs menu,like your other programs. If you decide you no longer want it.

But it is not that simple to install Windows and from what I read you cannot install Windows this way.

So the truth is that if it is a program like Linux Mint or Ubuntu where you can just use the Windows installer I could do that. But to install Windows you have to partition the hard disk and do other things.And I cannot do that.

So I don't know how to install operating systems. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, my apologies for calling you Angela, a simple mistake. Later today I shall be asking Admin if this thread can be closed as it's going nowhere.

On a personal note, I wouldn't close the thread as if you don't want to see it or post. It's easy enough to just not bother with the thread.

Andrea, I think the problem is, many of us have explained Windows 8 is fully useable. It has a start menu and once enabled runs and looks identical to Windows 7. You've told us you've seen youtube video's where even IT Pros can't use 8, but haven't posted proof. You've even admitted that you haven't actually tried 8 but don't like it. May I suggest you download the Developer build and try it. If you do decide to you can always PM me if you need help.

After trying it out, if you hate it fair enough, but at least then you'll have a valid reason for your hated of 8.

NmsUK

It isn't just this thread it's almost everyone she gets involved in.
Joe

It isn't just this thread it's almost everyone she gets involved in.
Joe

Well it is just that I am not a computer expert. But I am getting better. And I still have a long way to go.

But if you look at Mike's article about Windows 8 on the Windows 8 forums. And his video that he posted on there about his review of Windows 8. You will see that, even he, had problems with Windows 8 because of the Metro theme. So I am not the only one that cannot use Windows 8. Although I have never used it,I know that I will have difficulty using it.

That's why Windows users need a Windows with a normal start menu and normal desktop. Not no start menu and the Metro theme that is on Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Well I have netbooks with no CD drive. So I cannot just install Windows 8 or any other version of Windows for that reason.

I know there may be other ways of getting Windows 8 onto my netbook.

Flash drive. Problem solved.

So I don't know how to install operating systems. Andrea Boreman.

That's why you ask before hand. Problem solved.

And I still have a long way to go.

Concurred.

So I am not the only one that cannot use Windows 8. Although I have never used it,I know that I will have difficulty using it.

You do not know how to use something you have never used. Very interesting way to learn.

Last edited:
If Microsoft would make Windows 8 like Windows 7,with a normal start menu and normal desktop it would solve all out problems. But from what I read,Microsoft have made it clear to us that they are not going to do that. They are going to make Windows 8 like it is now-with no start menu and the Metro desktop.

So I think that they should change the name of Windows 8 to-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. As even the most experienced computer users cannot use it. So I won't be able to use it either. And if you try Windows 8 you won't be able to use it. Andrea Borman.

on the contrary andrea, (nice avatar)
im running windows 8 DEV and i think its really easy to use, i think the new metro look is bohemian and innovative.
i also think that there will be a ton of fixes and themes that allow you to retain features from windows 7.
i dont think a great deal of the ribbon, as i prefer a right click context menu but these things will grow on us.
unlike my wig.

Well I have seen the You Tube videos and read the articles on Windows 8. And even the most experienced computer users have trouble using Windows 8 with the Metro theme. So if they cannot figure out how to use it,then I won't be able to. As I have limited experience with computers.

And also the Metro theme is very ugly I could not stand to sit there all day long looking at that.

I don't like Windows 8 the way it is. Yes Microsoft could make a Windows 8 with a normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu, but they don't want to do that.

But even if they did make a Windows 8 like Windows 7,with a normal desktop and start menu. Why should I use Windows 8 when I have got Windows 7? And Windows 7 has everything we want?

I can understand it when people say you should upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Although Windows XP does run all of the modern software. But we don't need a Windows 8. And don't forget that Windows 7 is very new, only brought out in October 2009. And most people have only just upgraded to Windows 7.Or just bought a new Windows 7 laptop.

So we don't need a Windows 8 anyway. Andrea Borman.

ok ,you know best,
i'll stay with windows 7.
im looking forward to windows 16 i bet it doesnt need a monitor but maybe a 3d holographic thingy.
ideal for prawn.

Well Ringsting,I may sound like a computer expert and I have made a lot of videos about Windows 7 and Windows XP mainly. But installing software like Classic Shell and then using Classic Shell and Classic Explorer to customise Windows 7 is just simple stuff. As is my recent achievement of being able to get Windows XP Movie Maker 2.1 running on Windows 7.

But partitioning the hard disk and installing operating systems and creating recovery disks,I don't know how to do. That is the complicated stuff.

If you make a mistake with partitioning the hard disk, like I probably would do,then the computer is out of action. So some things are not so simple as they sound.

How do I reinstall my operating system? Well I just press the F11 or the F3 key and it boots into the recovery partition or system recovery, and I do a restore to factory condition.

But I don't reinstall Windows from a Windows CD or a back up CD like a lot of other people do. I have netbooks so I have no CD drive and have never backed up my system except I have system restore turned on. But that is not the same thing.

So it is a factory restore for me when I cannot fix Windows. Which restores the computer to factory condition. That is the out of the box condition it was in when I bought the laptop. Andrea Borman.

i would try to make a recovery disc andrea , whats the worst that can happen, you can always just press F11 to get a recovey again if it cocks up

How do I reinstall my operating system? Well I just press the F11 or the F3 key and it boots into the recovery partition or system recovery, and I do a restore to factory condition.
And what do you do when your disk breaks ?? F11 won't help.

andreas disc wont break whs,ive just realized she has note books so she cant use disks there for the disk wont break,see its easy when you know how.
she could always install windows 8 dev its free at the moment

Yeah, but she could make a recovery stick - same thing. Or maybe an image to an external disk and a WinPE stick. Great combination for a notebook.

Last edited:
i was pulling your leg WHS by disc you mean hard drive, i was pretending i thought you meant a dvd or cd.

i been on the silly sauce it seems.

Yes,you are right. I should back up my operating system and not rely on the factory restore.But I don't know how to do this.

Even though my netbooks don't have a CD drive, I could buy a plug in CD drive that I can plug into the USB plug socket on my netbook.Like I plug in my USB mouse and USB web cam.That would work. I could also back up my operating system including my files and Windows on a USN thumb drive.

On Windows 7 there is a file back up setting in System Restore or System Recovery,under advanced back up methods. Which is the Microsoft System Recovery. But I don't know if it only just backs up your files, or the whole operating system, which is what I need to do. Not just back up the program files.

But on my Windows XP netbooks,which are Windows XP Home Edition,there is no Microsoft file back up setting in System Recovery. So If I wanted to back up my system on Windows XP,I would probably have to install a third party program. But I don't want to pay for it. I am looking for a free program.

Another option is to buy several Windows CDs. Then I could just reinstall Windows from the Windows installation CD if all was lost. But unfortunently,in England, you can no longer buy Windows XP CDs only Windows 7. And I would want Windows 7 and Windows XP CDs for my Windows 7 and Windows XP netbooks.

But as I have got 4 Windows 7 netbooks and 2 Windows XP netbooks. Does that mean I would have to buy 6 Windows CDs because you can only install Windows on 1 computer? And if you got one Windows CD you cannot use it on 6 computers as Windows will only activate on 1 computer? Andrea Borman.

Don't use CDs or DVDs for images. Those images can be quite big. Mine are appr. 20GBs each shot. A 250 to 500GB external disk and a USB stick for the recovery program will do a much better job. As for programs, I recommend free Macrium or free Paragon. Macrium is a bit easier to use.

Last edited:
Well I don't think I can create a recovery disk or back up my operating system. It is just too complicated,unless there is an easier way. I also don't know how to install operating systems either. Andrea Borman.

There it is again, the phrase "I don't know". I see you say that alot and it all revolves around computers and technology. Partitioning a disk, installing an OS, duel booting an OS, editing the registry, using command line, and the list goes on and on. These are the things that we on this site are adept at and have been for a long time. These little things are the things that we consider simple. Don't get me wrong, I know there are things that the elders on this site can do that I cann't....yet, even though I do have a good size KB of computer wizdom. I have worked and learned things over my time, and yes I have royaly screwed a few things, but that is leaning. You will never get any better unless you are willing to do the work it takes to get better and not just pout and cry about stuff. It serves no purpose to sit in the corner and tell every one that they are wrong when even the novice of the room are saying that you are the one wrong. At one time I would say there is now wrong answer only better answers, then I met Angela...o-errr Andrea. That changed my tone real quick. I do now know that there are wrong answers, and I get to laugh at them every time I read this forum. In a way I would have to thank you for helping me with my blood preasure, laughter is the best meadicine.

If you want to be a power user then you have got to stop with this cry baby crap. Stop expecting every one to spoon feed you the answer that you expect to hear. I don't care how much any of us knows, we have all been in your shoes at one point and time. The difference in us and you is that we Learned the correct information.

Back
Top Bottom