Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

There would be nothing for me to say on the Windows 8 forum apart from saying that Windows 8 is horrible.Which it is. And that Windows 7 and Windows XP are better than Windows 8.Which is also true. And that Windows 8 is not the real Windows.Well Windows 8 is not really,it is more like another operating system.So that would not go down very well on a Windows 8 forum.

I gave up using Linux because I did not know how to use it,and I have never used Mac. But I don't want to use Linux and Mac,which I don't know how to use anyway. That's why I use Windows. But now they are planning to make the next version of Windows like Linux or Mac. Well Windows 8 looks like Ubuntu or Mac and not like Windows at all. No wonder I and other people are so upset.

This whole system they have when you go to the shops to buy a laptop.That because there is a new version of Windows out,if you want to buy Windows XP,Windows 2000,98,98 or Windows Vista you can't,because the shops don't sell it any more.That is not right.

It is our life on the computer.If we want to buy Windows 7,Windows XP Windows 2000 or even Windows 98,or 95, then why can't we?

We Windows users should be able to buy what version of Windows we want. But we cannot because the shops do not sell Windows XP or Windows 2000 any more. It is all very silly.

Now they have this Windows 8. And if they stop selling Windows 7.We will be forced to buy Windows 8,when we do have to buy a new laptop.

That is my worst nightmare. I and other people will be stuck with an operating system I and other people cannot figure out how to use. And I don't think I will be able to use Windows 8. The way it is,unless it has a normal start menu and desktop like Windows 7.

I can understand people upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. But Windows 7 is the real Windows and it is a new version of Windows,made only 2 years ago. Windows XP and Windows 7 are both good and they are both voted by me as the two number 1 operating systems.

They could make a Windows 8 but without the Metro theme one that is like Windows 7.With a normal Windows 7 start menu and desktop. But why should we want to use Windows 8,even if it was like Windows 7,with no Metro theme? When we have got Windows 7 and Windows 7 is a brand new operating system brought out only 2 years ago? And most people have only just upgraded to Windows 7 and bought a new Windows 7 computer less than a year ago.

So we have already got a new version of Windows-Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Randy, I think your comment was very appropriate. However, I also understand where the other people come from. For the less adventureous Windows user, the Metro must be shocking at first. What one does not see is the things that were changed under the hood - all you see is a completely different hood.

I have been playing around with Win8 since the Alpha version came out. I notice that it is very stable, runs fast (like most alpha versions, remains to be seen how a fully loaded system behaves) and that there are little problems to run all kinds of available programs.

I must, however, also say that I did not yet find a lot of new attractive functions for the desktop user. The ribbons are nice - I like them. The IE10 is interesting and the task manager is a lot better (although I have this info now in the Resource Monitor). But after that I suppose we will have to wait for the Beta.

In the mobile device market, that is a completely different story. I predict that Win8 will change the landscape - not only for tablets and smartphones, but also for the Intels and AMDs. With Nvidea, Qualcom and alike now entering the Windows scene, the cards will be stacked differently. Netbooks, laptops and maybe even desktops with ARM (Risc) processors are now possible which will cut cost (not only for CPUs and GPUs but also for cooling and PSUs) and will allow for a new packaging approach.

I think it is going to be exciting. Win8 is the entry gate to a completely new world of home and corporate computing.

Randy, I think your comment was very appropriate. However, I also understand where the other people come from. For the less adventureous Windows user, the Metro must be shocking at first.

Shocking? It is outrageous that Microsoft are going to release a Windows like this to the public. Windows 8 does not even have the right to call itself Windows.It is nothing like Windows.

And most home computer users who are not very experienced with computers, and who only know the basic functions of Windows will not be able to use this operating system, Windows 8. Can you imagine offices and schools who have used Windows for years with Windows 8? they wont know how to use it.And I won't know how to use Windows 8 either.

We should have street marches and street protests and write to our President or Prime Minister,so that they will ban Windows 8. They we will be safe with Windows 7, and we will never have to face the dreaded Windows 8. As that is what it has become known as. I never want to go on Windows 8 for as long as I shall live. Andrea Borman.

The funny thing is that I think the Metro was designed to make computers or computer like devices more accessible for the less technical experienced crowd - besides it seems to be the common approach for touchscreens.

The trouble is desktops aren't touch screens. I hope MS makes the Metro optional I dodn't like it. I also don't use a fancy cell phone or hand held devices. After I got tired of it it only took about 10-15 of searching to find an app to bypass Metro and go straight to desktop. I'm interested to see the beta release too.
Joe

Correct or not, I do, with sincerity, think that the fear and antagonism toward MS, over this plan, is being over fuelled by the media. Microsoft blogs are overlong, and often a whirl of self contradiction, but, I do not read this particualr issue as other do. I am willing to be contradicted. The blog refers to it as being an option. If you consider the implications of fully locking out the installation of other OS's, you can (or I can?) see the absurdity and impossibility of it. It means , effectively, that you could not, for example, replace it with an image which you have kept as a safegard, and other similar problems with multi OS users in Offices. I can see suing actions going on for years!
Read the blog!

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Draw your own conclusions. I see it as a method to prevent the ever increasing, and deadly, rootkit invasion - nothing more sinister.
Whilst the statement is not to direct, the blog does indicate that this will be an option entirely up to the user. They even publish a (small) example of how it may look.

Demonstration of this control is found in the Samsung tablet with Windows 8
Developer Preview that was offered to //BUILD/ participants. In the screenshot
below you will notice that we designed the firmware to allow the customer to
disable secure boot. However, doing so comes at your own risk. OEMs are free to
choose how to enable this support and can further customize the parameters as
described above in an effort to deliver unique value propositions to their
customers. Windows merely did work to provide great OS support for a scenario we
believe many will find valuable across consumers and enterprise customers.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

The trouble is desktops aren't touch screens. I hope MS makes the Metro optional I didn't like it. I also don't use a fancy cell phone or hand held devices. After I got tired of it it only took about 10-15 of searching to find an app to bypass Metro and go straight to desktop. I'm interested to see the beta release too.
Joe
Well said Joe.

The Metro theme is terrible. Not only is it as ugly as hell, but it is impossible to use a computer with the Metro theme, and the system that is Windows 8. Maybe there is something you and other Windows users can do to stop Windows 8 ever coming into existence.

I hate Windows 8 and so do most other people.

I have never used Windows 8 but from what I have seen, and heard about it,there is nothing positive about Windows 8.There is absolutely NOTHING good about it. And if you try Windows 8, the only outcome will be that you won't be able to use it.

I think Windows 8 could be THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.Because it is just too difficult and complicated to use.Like Linux was. That's why I gave up using Linux and went back to Windows.

But now I am facing being stuck with a version of Windows I cannot figure out how to use-Windows 8.Unless someone stands up to Microsoft and stops Windows 8 ever being put out on sale. So we can keep on using Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Windows 8 is not that bad, I checked it beta version and its working properly. Though its a bit slow as I am running it on an old system but most probably we will be having it in polished and final version till its next normal version release!

I feel that you and I are rather opposed in our views, Andrea. But it is just a friendly exchange of views - right?
You hate Windows 8 but have not tried it? Hmm.

Like Joe, having no touchpad, and not being in the market to purchase one, I quickly chose the option to bypass it and return to the familiar, and 100% identical, desktop.

Superfluous, but of significance. NOOne has yet tried Windows 8, outside of MS employment. It may have been a mistake on MS's part to release the developer for the public to play with. It was intended, as implied, for software and hardware people to have advanced warning in order to prepare their products. As was well known, this was a mistake made with the panic release of Vista, which gave it an unwarranted bad name. The developer is largely unfinished, particualarly in the area of graphical presentation. Hints and promises are there, and the final product, or even the Beta, may satisfy some of the pundits.
To suggest (militant) action, in order to stop it's sale, is unrealistic and impractical. If you don't like it. don't buy it - simple.

"I hate Windows 8 (developer release?)and so do most other people."

Not so. Quite a few comments, for and against.

"it is just too difficult and complicated to use."

In what respect. Clicking icons, instead of selecting shortcuts, is not for me, but I don't find it brainstorming. I have seen, even in my family, desktops totally cluttered with shortcuts - is that so different. Other than that, there is no difference in the operation.

"But now I am facing being stuck with a version of Windows"

Why? As I said, it is your choice to buy and use it.

Well,as I have said before,they could make a Windows 8 without the Metro theme. And just make Windows 8 like Windows 7. With a Windows 7 start menu and Windows 7 desktop. But Microsoft don't want to do that. They want to make Windows 8 like it is now.That's the problem.

Windows is a great operating system.It is the most user friendly operating system there is.And while there have been some versions of Windows that were slow,Windows ME and Windows Vista.Although I have never used Windows ME I just heard about it on the web.But what all versions of Windows have in common, is that they all have a start menu and desktop.

Except for Windows 8 which is nothing like Windows with the Metro theme.

But Windows users identify Windows with a start menu and desktop and it is the only thing we know how to use. But we don't know how to use an operating system like Windows 8. We are not Linux users.
We are not Mac users.
We are Windows users.
And we want a Windows operating system that is like Windows. Not this Windows 8 that is this Metro theme and from what I read is based on the I Pad and mobile phones.

But Windows 7 is only 2 years old so why should we upgrade to Windows 8,even if it did have a normal start menu and desktop. When Windows 7 is the new operating system and has everything we want. So I see no need for a Windows 8 at all.

If I was a President or a Prime Minister I would ban Windows 8 because of the way it is. And I think that Windows 8 should be struck off the face of the earth. It is a horrible horrible operating system that does not have the right to call itself Windows.

The real Windows is all of the other versions except for Windows 8. That is Windows 7,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 2000,Windows 98,95 and Windows ME and Windows NT. NOT WINDOWS 8.Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Drew, you are spot on my friend. I enjoyed reading Andrea's lengthy discussion...i do think she was being a bit comedic, hope so anyway. LMAO...Andrea you're a doll...really. Looking forward to trying Win 8...once i've solved my other PC problems, of which i've listed in another discussion. I do like this forum. Cheers and beers to all

All Windows users should be very worried about what is going to happen to them if Windows 8 ever goes out on sale to the public. As most Windows users are just average home computer users and some others like me have limited experienced with computers. And can only just about manage to use a computer anyway.

And most people are using Windows and only know Windows and don't know how to use anything else.So all Windows users including myself are not going to be able to use Windows 8 if it comes out.

As Windows 8 is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. And even experienced computer geeks cannot use it or figure out how to use it. And if Windows 8 comes out they may stop selling Windows 7 like they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista. And then we will be forced to buy Windows 8. And we will be stuck with it.

And because most of us cannot use Linux or Mac at least I cannot.We may have to give up using a computer.If the only Windows operating system there is is Windows 8 and they stop selling Windows 7.

So my friends suggest we write a letter to our President or Prime Minister on these lines-

" Dear President/Prime Minister,(President or Prime Ministers name) I understand that Microsoft are going to bring out Windows 8 and it is already out in developers preview. And I understand that Microsoft are not going to make Windows 8 like the other versions of Windows,7,Vista and XP. And I am writing to ask you to do something to prevent Microsoft bringing out this Windows 8.

As you may have seen on the Internet,Windows 8 is going to be made like an I Pad or Mac desktop but something much more complicated than both.
As a result myself and other Windows users and also my office workers will no longer be able to use a computer. As I and my employees and family and friends and even more experienced computer users,only know how to use a Windows with a normal desktop and Windows start menu,not the tiled theme,that Microsoft have called the Metro theme. And a different operating system completely.

I understand also that if Microsoft brings out Windows 8 on sale that retailers will stop selling Windows 7 as they already stopped selling Windows Vista and Windows XP against the public's wishes.And that if this happens I and other home and office computer users will be forced to buy and use Windows 8. Which I,my family,friends and employees will not be able to use due to the complicated operating system and different and difficult to meet hardware requirements.

Therefore Windows 8 will have a devastating effect on myself,my family and friends and other office companies if Microsoft bring out this operating system. As it will mean I,and other people and other company offices will no longer be able to use a computer.And businesses will suffer as a result of this operating system,Windows 8.As most businesses and companies depend on being able to use the computer and computers.Which nobody will be able to use if Windows 7 is stopped replaced with Windows 8.

Please could you take action to stop Microsoft getting rid Windows 7 and other versions of Windows and replacing it with Windows 8.Yours Sincerely- "

If enough people protested to their governments about Windows 8,then Windows 8 will be banned from the market and we will all be safe with Windows 7.

And we might even get Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 2000,98 and 95 back on the market again. Which are all NORMAL Windows operating systems. Not this Windows 8. Windows 8 is THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Andrea
Maybe you should try it instead of working yourself into an anxiety attack about it. They will never bring back old versions of Windows any more that a car maker will bring back ancient models. Maybe you should by a beginners book like Windows For Dummies and actually learn about Windows.
Joe

beware_the_troll.jpg That's all I have to say. ;)

Andrea
Maybe you should try it instead of working yourself into an anxiety attack about it. They will never bring back old versions of Windows any more that a car maker will bring back ancient models. Maybe you should by a beginners book like Windows For Dummies and actually learn about Windows.
Joe

If you are talking about Windows 7,Windows Vista or Windows XP,yes,that is the REAL Windows and I would benefit from learning how to use it better.But Windows 8 is is NOT the real Windows,it is the fake version of Windows. You only have to look at it to see that.

But Windows 7 is so user friendly even a child can use it. Windows XP also easy to use and very modern like Windows 7. In fact,anyone would think that Windows XP was made 2 months ago and not 10 years ago. As it runs so well and I don't see the other versions of Windows as being old versions of Windows. They are just different versions of Windows that's all.

But Linux users can choose which versions of Linux they use. For example they can use Ubuntu or Linux Mint and other versions of Linux. So if Linux users can choose which version of Linux they use,then why can't we Windows users choose which versions of Windows we use?

So if we want Windows 7,Windows XP or Windows 2000 and other versions of Windows,why can't we have it?

I only learned to use a computer in 2006. And I learned from the person sitting next to me in the Internet cafe. Then I got my first home computer in April 2010,a Windows 7 netbook. So I missed out on Windows 2000,98 and the other versions of Windows. But I would love to have Windows 2000 and maybe Windows 98 on my computer as well as Windows 7. But they don't make Windows 2000 laptops any more so I cannot.

I am a Windows user, but I don't think of Windows 8 when I use Windows, and neither do most people. They and I think of Windows 7,Windows XP or Windows Vista and Windows 2000,98,and 95,not Windows 8. Most people are not going to know what to do if they put a Windows 8 computer in front of them. And I would not know how to use Windows 8. If Windows 8 even has the right to call itself Windows.Well Windows 8 is not Windows is it.It's nothing like Windows.

I think that they should have all of the versions of Windows out on sale,Windows 7,Windows Vista Windows XP,Windows 2000 and all of the other versions in the shops. And that would solve all of our problems. And then we can just pick the version of Windows we want. And pick what version of Windows computer or laptop we want.

But Windows 8 is the last thing I want, as I know I won't be able to use it. And even the most experienced computer users could not use Windows 8. I saw that in the You Tube videos. So if you try Windows 8 it is a very difficult operating system to use. And the only outcome will be you won't be able to use it.

But the shopkeepers don't care about that.They don't care if you go home with a laptop you cannot use.They don't know anything about computers it seems. When I told a shopkeeper that I would rather die than use Windows 8,he did not understand.

There must be something we can do to get rid of the horrible Windows 8.

That's why we should stock up on Windows 7 computers. now. And buy as many Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops now.Then we will have enough Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops to last us for the next 20 years or more. So that if our laptops we are using now wear out,we will not be in a situation where we will be forced to buy Windows 8. And we can avoid being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8. Which is my worst worst nightmare and so is it other peoples. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Windows 8 is perfectly usable been using it since the preview came out with no problems. It's just like windows 7 but with a metro ui. It's faster and perfectly stable. I'm not sure where you get your information from but you're so wrong!

NmsUK

You posts have become overheated, Andrea, and for the most part ill informed. Windows 8, as has been reiterated, is, apart from the optional Metro interface, identical in use to Windows 7. Therefore, by your own admission - "But Windows 7 is so user friendly even a child can use it" - I cannot see any future problem.
Where you say "And even the most experienced computer users could not use Windows 8. I saw that in the You Tube videos" is of little consequence. There are dozens of videos on YouTube, showing quite the opposite view. You Tube is far from an authorative source.
You stated earlier that you had not even tried Windows 8. I suspect you are browsing for any negative comments you may find relating to it, and ignoring the remainder.
If I have misunderstood, and your posts are meant to be a joke (?) .- perhaps this whole thread should be moved to the Water cooler.

What does UI mean?

No, I have never used Windows 8 but I have seen it on the web and in the You Tube Videos. And Mike did a video about Windows 8 and it is posted on the Windows 8 forums. And even he,an experienced computer user found Windows 8 difficult to use.

The problem is the Metro tiles. If Windows 8 had a normal start menu and Windows desktop like Windows 7 does that would be all right. But unfortunently Windows 8 does not have that. And there are other things I have seen in the videos that make Windows 8 not user friendly at all. Internet Explorer 10 is more like a web app than a web browser. And there was no way to exit Internet Explorer 10 when you wanted to close it. At least that's what I saw in the videos. As well as the people in the videos had trouble using Windows 8.

But when I watch videos about Windows 7 including the platform previews, Windows 7 is not like that. Everybody who has tried Windows 7,likes it and can use it. But there is nothing that is positive about Windows 8. So based on what I saw I don't think I would be able to manage with Windows 8. As well as the fact that I won't be able to figure out how to use it.

So Windows 8 is not like Windows 7. And not identical to Windows 7 as it does not even look like Windows 7.

I have looked for something positive about Windows 8 but I could not find anything.

It seems that Windows 8 only works for people who know how to use the Metro theme. But then in the videos it seems that even the most experienced computer users could not use Windows 8,because of the Metro theme.

So if the most experienced computer users cannot use Windows 8,then how will I be able to use it,with my limited experience with computers?

The answer is that I won't be able to use it. That is why I don't want to go on Windows 8. As well as the fact that I hate the Metro theme. It is as ugly as hell. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
UI= User Interface, which you don't seem to gasp & not unlike many (other) computer things.

As previously, already, suggested by another Forum Member, PLEASE, Forum Admin, throw this thread in the Watercooler. (Although, it's only borderline comedy, anymore)

Thanx, in advance.

Drew

Last edited:
I find it difficult to understand how Andrea seems to not have noticed we've said you can disable metro and have a start menu, making the OS IDENTICAL! to windows 7.

Back