Windows 10 WiFi and YouTube buffering

kevphil

Honorable Member
I have an AT&T 3801 Router. My big PC is plugged directly into it and I can play any video from any source, even at 1080p60. On my laptop, about 60' away and connected thru my LG TV, I am getting WiFi speeds of up to 15 Mbps. However, YouTube videos struggle to play at base 720p. My computer is pretty old (an ASUS e-Slate, 6-7 years, bought used) but it has 4GB of RAM, integrated Intel graphics and an internal USB 2 Atheros AR9002WB-1NG network card. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64. The chip is an i5 U470 @1.33 GHz.

Am I just expecting too much over Wi-Fi, or is my computer anemic? Would it improve the YouTube buffering issue to get a new PC, and if so, with what minimum specs? (I will NOT be using the PC for anything other than connecting to the Internet.)

Thanks, all!

Last edited:
Your wifi as a whole is your issue....starting with your router. Then your wifi adapter of the Asus e-slate.

See here; http://setuprouter.com/router/2wire/3801hgv/manual-1320.pdf

Overview The 2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV gateway is an advanced gateway that either the service provider or the subscriber can install. It is a home networking device that provides an 802.11b/g Wi-Fi access point and switching functions for connecting personal computers and other home-networked devices to the service provider network. The gateway has 4 10/100 Ethernet ports to connect to computers or devices in the home. It comes loaded with hardware capabilities that enable you to use VoIP and Video Streaming technologies.

You need to cantact AT&T and have them replace that outdated router with a newer (at least N or AC prefered), then for your e-Slate just get a N or AC wifi dongle. Keep in mind that there are varying throughput speeds of class N (150, 300, 600, 900). The higher the better.

I just upgraded at AT&T's suggestion from a 3800 to the 3801. Not sure they HAVE anything else. Also, I have tried disabling the internal network card in favor of the USB Adapter called D-Link DWA-130. It was slower than the built-in Atheros. Can you recommend a brand/model to me? (I think the D-Link cost me almost $40.) Thanks!

It's going to be slower as it defaults to your routers highest speed. In your case it's Class G which is only 54 mbps.....slow. That was a waste of time and money. Hold on to the dongle you can use if you get a new router. You need a new router that has Class N. See if AT&T will let use a branded store bought router, if they will, what brand do they prefer. If not....then you will need a new ISP.

Is this a mobile hotspot wifi set up?

No, Everything is fixed. The Big PC in one room connected directly to the Router. The ASUS laptop sits permanently 60 feet away, next to my 42" LG TV, connecting via HDMI. Going to AT&T.com/Speedtest, I get as much as 15 Mbps showing thru the laptop..

I'll look around at AT&T's page for a faster Router, but the 3801 (replacing the 3800) is what they recomended for my situation. I'm pretty sure they require you to use THEIR products. But I'll see... Thanks!

Bassfisher 252 Could you please look at this 2-minute video, and see if this makes sense? (Sorry, the guy whispers, for some reason.) If so, could you recommend a brand name router to buy? Thank You very much!

I get as much as 15 Mbps showing thru the laptop..
That's your entire problem....the infrastructure of you ISP's hardware that you have. That said....a few things you can try.
1. Reset your router to factory settings. This will wipe out any changes made by you or others. 2. See if there is a firmware update for your router. Sometimes a firmware update will help in situations like yours.

Thanks, Bass. I DID find another Router available from AT&T. I don't know why they didn't mention that one. Of course, I saw that on a page somewhere that I can't find now. But I WILL look into a firmware update. That sounds like a good plan, simple enough for me to accomplish! :( Thanks again for your help.

BTW: A new wrinkle: I also have an Ipad 3 (Retina) and it played YouTube fine, after about a minute of buffering. Of course, the best resolution there stops at 720p, period.

Further tips: Get a faster router; get a new ISP as suggested (AT&T's equipment really lags behind on technology), and then replace your desktop PC with built-in N adapter. AT&T didn't tell you about the newer N-class router, as the training of their Customer support reps has severely deteriorated over the years. That's a 2-ended failure of AT&T; lag of technology premises equipment, and lack of internal training. Very few people stay with them longer than 1 year these days; at least in my part of the country-West Coast.

As far as router brands go--there are only 3 brands: Cisco, Cisco/Linksys, Netgear to buy. Anything else will produce many kinds of network problems I won't go into here. Needless to say all of those will impact your ability to run streaming media to your TV via the wireless Internet connection you have without suffering lagging/hanging/freezing of your TV shows or movies. You do what you want, but using stuff from D-link and 2nd-tier vendors will continue to haunt you for years to come. Bottom line; you get what you pay for. Buying poor quality wireless devices will result in poor quality video performance.:furious:

Good luck fixing your network,
<<<BIGBEAREJEDI>>>

bassfisher6522

Well, today AT&T delivered their PACE 5268AC. (For various reasons, I HAVE to stay with AT&T.) Things are somewhat improved, but not where I'd like it to be. 720p60. I was looking at a refurbished HP laptop on Amazon for $400.

HP Pavilion 15-ac143wm 1TB Intel i5 5th Gen 2.2GHz 6GB 1TB DVDRW 15.6" Win 10 889894347015 | eBay

Briefly, here are the specs re: WiFi:
Wireless Type 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Aside from not kicking AT&T, would this improve buffering with YouTube? Or would I just be wasting $400? Thanks, and I won't bug you again. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom