Windows 10 WiFi Driver no longer provided by HP

Hello there, I have an HP Pavilion DV6-6C35DX. I did a clean install of Windows 7 (64-bit), then tried downloaded the drivers from HP's site. All the drivers worked except for the WiFi driver. I tried upgrading to Windows 10 to see if it would auto update but WiFi still wasn't working.

I was told from HP: "Your machine uses Realtek 8188GN PCIe Half MiniCard (HMC) WiFi adapter - 802.11b/g/n 1x1and driver support ended with Windows 8"

Apparently I am unable to have WiFi on my laptop because of this... I was referred to a site to purchase a wireless adapter instead....

Can anyone point me to a working WiFi driver? Or am I seriously completely out of luck?

Hi kemical. I tried installing the driver that was in thread you sent me, but the Wifi still isn't working. However, I will try to run a hardware diagnostic to make sure it isn't a hardware issue. Will keep you updated. Thank you!!

You're idea of trying to use a plug-in usb Wi-Fi adapter could be your best solution.:lightbulb: for $50 US you can get a good one, and the nice thing about that solution is that the Wi-Fi adapter makers do a good job of reverse engineering their drivers to work with older hardware such as W7/W8x or even Vista/XP. :up::peace: Here's a Post I just did on fixing Wi-Fi on a laptop which also applies to your situation with a desktop too. Here's the link: Windows 7 new install

What's cool about this solution, is that you don't have to replace your PC with a brand new W10 PC or laptop, just buy a $50 adapter to solve the problem! The usb adapter guys have solved your problem for you. This works about 98% of the time for me.

Best of luck!:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

This thread contains a driver which whilst slightly different may work:
Solved: wifi connectivity issues with Realtek RTL8188EE Adapter - HP Support Forum - 5529241

I installed the HP Hardware Diagnostic, and ran the Wireless Module test. Here's a couple of screenshots on what the test is for and my result. Does this mean it is the hardware that's messed up.. If so, am I able to replace the part?

Thanks!
IMG_0094_1.jpg

IMG_0095_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Keith the screenshots didn't turn out so good. Why not upload them to Mega or something similar?

Does this mean it is the hardware that's messed up.. If so, am I able to replace the part?
Basically all it means is that the adapter couldn't be found. This might well be down to the fact your missing the driver.

The adapter worked fine under vista i take it?

Are you still running windows vista?

Hey,
I did a little more searching and found drivers for your model and for Windows 7/8:

Windows 8
win8.JPG

Windows 7
win7.JPG

Check each of these sections for the latest driver for whichever os you decide to use. I know you already tried them but might be worth trying the windows 8 wireless again. Make sure you disable any security as my network driver hates security and won't install properly. Also please right click and install as admin.

Hello,

Sorry I did not realize I received this message. I just tried installing the Windows 8 Wifi Drivers and the reinstalling the Windows 7 Wifi Drivers. Here are my results:

Windows 8 64-bit Broadcom - WiFi not working
Windows 8 64-bit Qualcomm - WiFi not working
Windows 7 64-bit Broadcom - WiFi not working
Windows 7 64-bit Ralink - WiFi not working

I tried installing all 4 of them as admin. In regards to the security, I wasn't sure how to disable it. How can I check to see if it was enabled? I'm pretty certain that my device is a 64-bit, as it states it in the System type under "System."

Back