Windows 10 Wifi is fine but Windows (2004) does not realize it yet...

Hydrarchos

Hi, I have a weird bug in Windows 2004 that appears to have cropped earlier with wired networking (e.g., Windows shows no internet access but my internet is working fine.) and although it's more of a cosmetic issue than anything else, I wonder if there is something I can do about it.

In short: wifi networking is stellar, but my task bar indicator insists that there's "no internet". For now, I'm using the Dropbox indicator as a de facto networking icon, but it's not super convenient, particularly if there ARE any networking issues.

Just for reference: my rig is an Core i7 9750H driven machine with an Intel AX200 wifi card and Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.329 installed.sa

Thanks in advance!

What happens if you remove the device then enter it again. By doing that you force Windows to set up again the connection, it deletes any conflicting data and parameters from its tables.
I have seen that when I moved to next hotel and Windows thought it still was connected to the same router even when I had reentered a new password to connect to that network.
I admit, it is not a solution, but as long as it does what we want....

Last edited:
I would start by running the network troubleshooter.

Press Win + i
Network & Internet
Status (left hand side)
Scroll down and select Network troubleshooter

In my case that did not solve anything, it seems to be hidden deeper, but lets see. I never solved it...

Did you try just disabling and re-enabling the network adapter. Do you have a screenshot of the problem?

I step aside, it is not my item/problem, I won't take it over. Besides I am not in a hotel and can't reproduce it now. I will have to wait and see what shows up. Nevertheless very interessted.

Okay guys, thanks for your time on this, but I'm afraid that after three days of jinxedness suddenly Windows has come to its senses again and the problem has evaporated. Which is really weird because to my knowledge I haven't updated anything. But the issue's gone, it seems for now.

A bit like feeling your toothache disappear when you're at the dentist's...

Still, really appreciate you guys coming to my aid!

Who does not want errors which disappear as suddenly as they come. Exactly as I have seen it.
Just for my information, did it happen when changing from network to network, or was it in one stable network environment?
Anyway, enjoy it.

Last edited:
I believe this is a bit of a known issue in 2004, however I'm not sure if it's been patched or not. You could turn off the probing method it uses to verify that webpages load if it really annoys you. But I wouldn't bother truth be told...

Some have had luck changing the following setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
modify: EnableActiveProbing
then change "Value data" from "0" to "1"

Thanks. Seems I cheered a bit too quickly - the issue has cropped up again, no idea why. Everything connects in spite of it, with the exception of Spotify (which does log me in, which is weird...). I'll try your solution, Josephur.

Edit: performed a rollback from 2004 to 1903, and the issue has vanished. I'll wait a bit until trying anew, I think.

Last edited:
Hi all, I hope you won't mind me resuscitating this thread, but the issue has not gone away despite me downgrading to 1908. The thing is, occasionally (once every four days or so, I can't reproduce it though) the Explorer will show the little globe in the task bar but networking is fine. Only... Spotify (and ONLY Spotify) doesn't think so, and I can obviously get no networking info because according to one faction of the OS, there isn't any. Yet I am writing this online, so there's nothing wrong really. But still, I'm paying for Spotify so hearing it would be nice.

For background, my network adapter calls itself an Intel Wifi AX200 160MHz, if that means anything to you.

Did you try any of the previous suggestions: network trouble shooter, registery change, removing the network adapter?
Is there more then one WiFi network active and is there a change that your PC switched from one, with a currently lower power level, to a 'better' network?

Last edited:
Reset the modem and or router....this is usually done by unplugging the modem/router for the power outlet. Then if that doesn't work....there's a tiny hole on the back of the unit and inside is a reset button. Get a paper clip, straighten out one end, insert it into the hole, press and hold until unit turns off, when it turns off release the reset button.

Hi, I tried all those (modem reset, registry adaptation, re-installing network adapter). The troubleshooter was a bit useless because it reports nothing wrong. In fact, everything works fine apart from Spotify and the task bar indicator.

Just an update: I just upgraded to 20H2, and the issue has gone away. Probably some bug, then. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Last edited:
Back