Windows Vista wifi problems on vista but not on xp.

bazza

I run a charter boat in the British Virgin Islands. We get internet on board from a local company "CCT BOATPHONE" via a pcmcia card. Its a merlin v620 cdma card. This card is installed into a top global 3g phoebus router. We access the router via wifi. The system is quite reasonable, pretty fast and reliable. We have however on 2 separate occasions had problems with connecting to it. On board we have 2 laptops running xp, 1 running vista, 2 macs, and 2 iphones. When the problem occurs the xp's connect to the router and internet, no problems. The iphones connect also. Both the vista and the macs cannot connect at all. Now if we move the boat to another location IE change cell towers, everything is back to normal. I figure it must be a problem with my provider, I visited them today and talked to one of there techs and they said they could not see what could possibly cause it. Any ideas, Should I still be looking at my provider or maybe my router. I do not be leave its my router as each time cruising to the next bay was an instant fix, The only thing that changed was we would be out of view of the previous tower and now on another. Any help would be appreciated.
Bazza.

Hi bazza, unfortunately this is not my 'area' but perhaps another forum member will be able to give some advise..apologies.

The only other thing I could think of is seeing if there's a 'user' forum for the router or provider??

I run a charter boat in the British Virgin Islands. We get internet on board from a local company "CCT BOATPHONE" via a pcmcia card. Its a merlin v620 cdma card. This card is installed into a top global 3g phoebus router. We access the router via wifi. The system is quite reasonable, pretty fast and reliable. We have however on 2 separate occasions had problems with connecting to it. On board we have 2 laptops running xp, 1 running vista, 2 macs, and 2 iphones. When the problem occurs the xp's connect to the router and internet, no problems. The iphones connect also. Both the vista and the macs cannot connect at all. Now if we move the boat to another location IE change cell towers, everything is back to normal. I figure it must be a problem with my provider, I visited them today and talked to one of there techs and they said they could not see what could possibly cause it. Any ideas, Should I still be looking at my provider or maybe my router. I do not be leave its my router as each time cruising to the next bay was an instant fix, The only thing that changed was we would be out of view of the previous tower and now on another. Any help would be appreciated.
Bazza.
I beleive with the new systems, but don't quote me here... lol... I have noticed similar problems along lots of vista systems connected to routers, and I beleive it to be an issue as simple as a form of timing out... usally if the router is reset for about 3-5 seconds the problem is solved... maybe it is a built in security issue that wasn't released... lol... I may be stretching far... can anyone answer me that... lol... Oh, and Hi everyone, my first reply...

Unfortunately its not a time out problem. I have tried all the usual reboot, check computer settings, check router settings. When the problem occurs both the vista and macs come up with "unidentified network" All the parameters are still set for the network and the xp's have no problems identifying the network. Just funny that moving to another tower allows an instant connection.
bazza.

Unfortunately its not a time out problem. I have tried all the usual reboot, check computer settings, check router settings. When the problem occurs both the vista and macs come up with \"unidentified network\" All the parameters are still set for the network and the xp's have no problems identifying the network. Just funny that moving to another tower allows an instant connection.
bazza.
:) It's me again!!! I haven't forgotten you, although I'll bet you wish I would.... Maybe you'll thank me for being such an annoyance suddenly. I've found out some very privy information. It turns out Microsoft is into a very big Maritime investment utilizing Vista OS. A whole line of ships--- Here's a link to a question and answer Vox Blog. Link Removed - Invalid URL I believe it is open to the public, if you join, you can talk to someone who knows developers!!

:) It's me again!!! I haven't forgotten you, although I'll bet you wish I would.... Maybe you'll thank me for being such an annoyance suddenly. I've found out some very privy information. It turns out Microsoft is into a very big Maritime investment utilizing Vista OS. A whole line of ships--- Here's a link to a question and answer Vox Blog. Microsoft announces Windows Vista Maritime Edition - Vox I believe it is open to the public, if you join, you can talk to someone who knows developers!!
Hmmm... strange... then I was having a similar problem... Do you have an older version of vista? Every time I encountered a problem with that almost exact situation, completely unhooking the router worked... Do you think it has to do with the tower not upgrading yet? LMFAO... maybe they are too embarrassed to tell you they are cheap... lol...

Bazza I hear of various vista problems but usually associated with other programmes. I am currently having an argument with PC Maritime who supply a package which I have used for years and which allows you to run the Admiralty Charts so good for planning routes etc at home. Since we moved from XP to Vista the system will not work and they maintain it's the computer, not true because I have had it checked over and everything else works okay. At the moment my inclination is to ditch PC maritime and use an alternative system. Any thoughts or suggestions.

regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

just to let you know.. I'm not sure Bazza is with us any more as that particular post is quite old.. Hopefully I'm wrong but in any event have you tried googling? As long as you can find the correct 'key' words to use it can be really quite good at turning stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom