Will Microsoft's Silverlight dampen the appeal of Google's Chrome OS?

reghakr

Essential Member
I’m not one of those ready to write Windows an RIP certificate now that Google has finally taken (some of) the wraps off its Chrome OS. In fact, after reading through industry watchers’ questions and Google’s answers about it,

I’m thinking that Chrome OS may not look quite so appealing by the time it rolls out in late 2010. Here’s why.

First, as others have noted, Google’s Chrome OS is a new windowing system layered on top of Linux that is being customized to run on netbooks. Chrome OS is an “extension to Chrome,â€Â￾ the company’s browser, in Google execs’ own words. Google officials are billing Chrome OS, among other things, as a way to provide Web applications with the functionality of desktop applications.

Microsoft offers an extension not just to its browser, Internet Explorer, but also to Firefox, Apple’s Safari and Google’s own Chrome. That extension is Silverlight. Among other things, Silverlight is a vehicle for providing increasingly complex consumer and business apps via a browser

More...............Will Microsoft's Silverlight dampen the appeal of Google's Chrome OS? | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

I'll be surprised if Silverlight really takes off. Granted coming from the big hands of Microsoft it'll have a forced high adoption rate and microsoft programs we already use will probably be rewritten for silverlight at some point if they aren't already. But will anyone else use Silverlight? Some big businesses already do. Microsoft has their hands full with this one. Flash and Flex are in widespread use and Adobe AIR is improving all the time. Bad news for both Flash and Silverlight is Google's optimization of Javascript execution and their intentions to continue improving it to the point where Chrome/Javascript becomes a 2D and 3D gaming and application platform. It's already fabulous for 2D as is and there are 3D proof of concepts on Google's O3D API page.

Google's tools for these sorts of things so far are geared towards heavy handed developers whereas Adobe has a hand up on tools that both programmers and designers can take advantage of. I haven't seen much of the inner workings of silverlight so I can't say there.

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

I've seen it pop up hundreds of times,. but refuse to install it. I love the OS,. buy I prefer to use freeware and open source software.

beta tester of blu ray software So what applications hacve you tried?

I've only used Cyberlink's r.

It came bundled with the PC because I ordered a Blue-ray DVD R/W.

Cyberlink's newest version of Power DVD plays them as well.

It's all connected to a Marantz 7.1 THX Sekect 2 home theater receiver

I've used PowerDVD - don't mind it, but I don't have a Blu-ray drive in that machine.

As for home theatres... my Sony tower speakers are old enough they predate the internet. You can't even find them in Sony's support database.

I'm lucky,. because my nephew own a custom audio/visual installation company and I get everything at his cost plus 10%

Back