Windows 7 Will Win 7 backups work across build versions?

SteelSLasher

Just asking since it would be useful for RC, same with the easy transfer files. Would be a shame for it not work.

Last edited:
From what I have seen no.

I created an Image Back up on 7000 and am trying to access the data on a 7077 build. VHD does not recognise the image files as valid image files.

what about easy transfer files, it would seem sensible for them to work, even if it doesn't i could just copy the files to my on of my other partitions

Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you want to access older files from the older builds?

what if i have about 6GB of personal file (home videos, pictures, schoolwork etc.) that i want to quickly transfer to the RC

Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you want to access older files from the older builds?

Hey that rocks for me ! Gotta give rep - so in top of things :D

Sorry reghakr will give due rep when able too :(

Umm... rep for what asking me to make myself clear or making a point which i just demolished (kind of)

Insert Racist Comment Here]

What the hell is the racist comment bit about ?
As I understood this was a windows 7 forum not a right wing NAZI party !

I dont get your point . Have you got one ?

If your hard drive is over 100GB, then create another partition and copy all those types to the other partition.

When you install Windows 7 (not sure about RTM), it will format the C: partition only.

Or get an external USB drive or an 8 GB memory stick.

By theway, I hope you went with a "clean" install, rather than an upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
If your hard drive is over 100GB, then create another partition and copy all those types to the other partition.

When you install Windows 7 (not sure about RTM), it will format the C: partition only.

Or get an external USB drive or an 8 GB memory stick

Good stuff :) Me a bit wary now about the guy your trying to help with the rascist insert bit .

Why you felt it important to put in the racist bit i have no idea ?
Just to let you know I have no interests in your posts from now and good luck :(

Last edited:
if you feel offended pretend it is a racist comment about a sterotype or prejudice that you have, its not me thats filling it in since i am asking you to do that for me so if anything its you but to be a nice person i will change it

also i only have an 80 GB hard drive IDE which has practically no space left and i have noticed that easy transfer does a bit of compression and is slightly easier since i dont organise my files because of win 7 search facility.

I have already done the easy transfer process i just need the RC, and system images wont work with it anyway since it is a snapshot of the entire system and 7077 is differs largely enough for system image to be useless

Also not all RTMs will format hard drive since my XP didnt do that

Last edited:
I hear that whoosh,

Some people put some crazy, off the wall comments in their signature, but I don't think his is approprate at all.

I guess mine is a liitle racy (no pun indended) itself

if you feel offended pretend it is a racist comment about a sterotype or prejudice that you have, its not me thats filling it in since i am asking you to do that for me so if anything its you but to be a nice person i will change it

Your sneaky ! Get the agenda . Just not going to respond anymore my final thoughts .
We have all gotta live in harmony else our hair is in jepardy !" Oops me bad :(

No long life n prosper me aways ;)

The best way to back up all of your data is to use professional backup software. In my opinion, Acronis True Image is the best. You can back up a full image of your drive and restore it to almost any hardware. There may be some compatibility issues with Windows 7, but not many, since it works flawlessly in Windows Vista.

Back